1941 Mack ED Project

1941 ED

On 6/30/2016 at 9:44 AM, HarryS said:

Bobby, It sounds like you are having the same problem as I am. Any luck?  I have not come up with anything yet.

Harry.....I finally got around to taking my tie rods out.....they were both right hand thread......5/8 stud and one inch fine thread.....I took mine to ga tool in macon ga....he found the ends for me and trying to get a new cross bar as mine had a slight bow in it......next I'm gonna tackle the drag link assy.......Bobby j.

Looks like you got your hands full. I hope this is not going to be another Rat-rod or Custom job, cause anyone that can take these and make it look new again, has gained total respect from anyone that has had any vehicle restoration experience. Good luck with this project. I myself wonder how that roof can look new again, as in factory finish? I'm guessing that it would need cutting off and pounding out the dents and straightening the posts, filling in where needed etc. etc. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing.    

• Like 1

Thanks Mike and others for the kind words...I am a metal man and paint guy, I will restore my ED   (BONE STOCK) and I will drive it too.  The cab is not savable but I have another cab that needs much less. I am working daily on the contacts and designing a plan for the restoration that will start in October.  I will keep you guys updated. 

Welcome to the group. Looks to be a good project, what is the rear body? Fire truck, a service truck or some thing other ??     Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yes, a factory bed is on the truck. I am planning on reproducing the ED Bed, it is already in the works. Starting to disassemble today.  This truck is a mini tank, made of thick metal,....Love it.  So fender by fender here I go.  Anyone else out there with early pickups send me some pictures please. My email is richie@oldmacktruck.com ...thanks

Below picture is the Deluxe front bumper that was on the truck since new.

IMG_20160930_115206.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The body is a Stock Express Delivery Bed. The model of the truck is ( ED ) or Express Delivery. Total production of the Model ED line from 1938-1944 was only 2,686. So it is a rare bird in one sense, Diamond T and I believe REO had similar Express Delivery Beds, Rated from 1 TON to 1 1/2 TONS for a pickup. 

My truck has a pretty cool story and I am lucky to have it, in this condition not a lot of enthusiasts would want to tackle it , but it is up my alley. trying to source out engine builders and parts etc. so if anyone wants to DM me please do, I am jumping HEAD FIRST this weekend to start on my "1941 MACK PRESERVATION MISSION".  I do have a small site up to log my progress and I will update here as well. Thanks again

What is the best place to post pictures of my Restoration process ??

Welcome 41 Ed! The back fenders look remarkably like a 201 Diamond T p.u. My first wrecker was a Diamond T 201 with an Eaton two speed dual wheel conversion done by my dad in 1950. Looked kinda bizarre(20" daytons on the back,17" Daytons on the front)! Your sheet metal looks like a candidate for cob blasting or one of the other methods that preserves the original metal! You're in the right area for finding someone to rebuild your gauges. There was an article in street rodder showing some new postage stamps featuring old pickups.They did a 30s international, but left out the Diamond T and Mack Jr, which I lament, but is understandable as only old guys and antique truck aficionados have ever heard of! Am looking forward to pictures of your build!

On 10/13/2016 at 9:47 PM, 1941 ED said:
The body is a Stock Express Delivery Bed,   the model of the truck is ( ED ) or Express Delivery.  Total production of the Model ED line from 1938-1944 was only 2686.  So it is a rare bird in one sense, Diamond T and I believe REO had similar Express Delivery Beds, Rated from 1 TON to 1 1/2 TONS for a pickup. 

My truck has a pretty cool story and I am lucky to have it, in this condition not a lot of enthusiasts would want to tackle it , but it is up my alley. trying to source out engine builders and parts etc. so if anyone wants to DM me please do, I am jumping HEAD FIRST this weekend to start on my "1941 MACK PRESERVATION MISSION".  I do have a small site up to log my progress and I will update here as well. Thanks again

What is the best place to post pictures of my Restoration process ??

Never ever heard of the ED referred to as Express Delivery?

It was the smallest truck in the E series that was brought out in 1936.

The EB and EC were traffic type units that came out in '36 along with the larger E model conventional trucks.

The first conventional trucks were EH, EJ, EM, EQ, and two chain drive models the ER and ES.

In 1938, after the joint venture between REO and Mack to produce the Mack Jrs was over, the smaller E models came out those being the ED, EE, EF, and EG.

A further edition to the E series line up came in 1939.

This last truck had a little heavier rating than an ED and not as heavy a rating as an EE.

I never heard this for sure. But it makes sense why it ended with the moniker of DE? They were out of letters!

Ron

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the site!

And one cool project you have. Sure plenty of work should be done but it could be done if you really want it.

It's a rare animal indeed and is handy with its small size. Good luck on the project.

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012