Looking for used MR post office tractor

Hook n ladder 1

Are you close to NYC ?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Check any big city's Post Office Vehicle Maintenance facility near you. They will direct you to where they do sell the used ones off at times. I used to drive for them in the 90s. I had a brand new  single axle MR, automatic. They special ordered them WITHOUT air conditioning or radios. They were pretty good with a trailer on but don't ever bob tail one in the rain. They were also terrible on snow and ice. I don't know if there are any more Mack MRs out there.  I think that they have gone to all conventionals now or are just renting tractors from Ryder.

Last USPS purchase of tractors was Pinnacles with a 300 hp e7 and Allison automatic in 2006, though there may have been a few MRs in that purchase. There was a smaller purchase in 1998 that I'm certain included some MRs with the same powertrain. Most of the USPS MRs were in the 1996 purchase that was just about entirely MRs, they had the 300 HP 12 liter electronic engine with ABS but the rough shifting HT740 pre-electronic Allison. Before that there was a big 1991 purchase of MRs with mechanical 300s and the same Allison, but no ABS, and before that a 1984 purchase of MRs with the 285 HP Maxidyne and a Maxitorque 5 speed manual.

As the previous poster noted, the pre-ABS tractors were truly scary bobtailing in the wet, never mind on snow and ice, so I'd avoid them. The HT740 has a nasty habit of shifting so rough that it locks up the rear wheels on ice and snow when bobtailing on single axle tractors, but the tandems were OK. The 1998 and newer MRs with the electronic Allison and traction control would be a big improvement, but good luck finding one as USPS bought very few. 

So the MR you're most likely to find is from the 1996 purchase, and they were supposed to all have been sold off 10 years ago when the 2006 tractors replaced them. But some of the VMFs held onto the older tractors as spares when the new ones came in, and recently I saw an MR still in USPS colors in a Manhattan street scene, so there appear to be a few out there. But who knows when USPS will sell them, they can't afford to replace the 2006s and they're leasing the Ryder units to comply with California emission laws and to supplement the 2006 models elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being in Baltimore Maryland for the National show whatever year that was, 2006? 2005? seeing the usps MR tandems runnin around with trailers, hitting every pothole in the city, I don't think the rear ends tires ever touched the ground as hard as they were pounding on them. I don't think id ever wanna own one used...

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Weren't the ones the Post Office had actually MCs?

Lighter frames than the MRs had.

MCs weren't made very long, they were made as both tractors and platform chassis.

Once the Post Office quit ordering them pretty much the end for the MCs.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IIRC, the first ones bought back around '84 were MCs. By the time USPS bought another big bunch in the 90s the MC was discontinued so they went with MRs specced with about the lightest frames, springs, and axles available on an MR. The last bunch we got in '96 had 3/8" frames and way too stiff front springs. Mack ended up replacing the springs with more compliant ones and replaced the drivers seats too.

Coastal Truck and Auto Body 3610 Lafayette Rd (Rt 1) Portsmouth, NH has one. Looks like the one on CL that 66dc75 posted. I know nothing about it other than just driving by. They use it for yard moves at times or it's out in line for sale.  Hippy