AC DRIVE SPROCKETS

Getting a price to have 3 sets of these made for my 1930's AC's. They are 30 tooth sprockets. Cut, centerless ground and heat treated. Give the AC a potential 50 m.p.h. top speed, but mainly will make local running easier on the unit.

Would any body have any interest? Higher quantity make the costs lower.    Paul

http://ac 28 tooth sprocket_zpsnhu5ygh2.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, ekennedy21 said:

50 mph in an AC sounds scary!

My 33 and 34 and my AC Six with their pneumatic tires and the later style AC Brakes would do it no problem. Would I do it? Nope. 35 or 40  would be no sweat on the roads in Va. where we are. The large sprocket just make it less stressful on the drive train on modern roads.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Dodge (reliance electric company) plate sprocket, type A, sprocket #A1630, part # 103240.  This is a plate sprocket, stock bore 1 1/2" (reborable), 30 tooth, 2" pitch,  19.134" pitch diameter, weighs 90 pounds, 1.156" nominal thickness.  This is a standard item, would save you time (and probably money).  Boston Gear and Martin also make plate sprockets.  I have had them burned out with hi definition plasma and also laser during my career. 

• Like 1

I would be surprised if I ever got mine up to 20mph! Its being restored now, maybe I will have a little more faith when it comes back with the brakes working properly and everything. Its got pneumatic tires but its a 29 and I am not sure that it has the new style brakes. Its a 29. When i sent it to Matt Pfahl the foot brake wasn't working, just the lever.

3 hours ago, steelman said:

Dodge (reliance electric company) plate sprocket, type A, sprocket #A1630, part # 103240.  This is a plate sprocket, stock bore 1 1/2" (reborable), 30 tooth, 2" pitch,  19.134" pitch diameter, weighs 90 pounds, 1.156" nominal thickness.  This is a standard item, would save you time (and probably money).  Boston Gear and Martin also make plate sprockets.  I have had them burned out with hi definition plasma and also laser during my career. 

Looks like it would be workable.

2 hours ago, ekennedy21 said:

I would be surprised if I ever got mine up to 20mph! Its being restored now, maybe I will have a little more faith when it comes back with the brakes working properly and everything. Its got pneumatic tires but its a 29 and I am not sure that it has the new style brakes. Its a 29. When i sent it to Matt Pfahl the foot brake wasn't working, just the lever.

All my 30's AC and AC Six have MACK factory Vacuum Boosted assist (basically early power brakes) on the four wheel brakes. The brake on the back of the transaxle  that is lever actuated is a factory mechanical Disk brake unit. With modern composite linings , ALL the linkages rebushed and with the close side of the factory adjustments it will stop fine.

I don't plan on 50 mph but 35 or 40  with a reserve. 

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have driven my 25 AC at 25 mph and that is fast enough without a windshield.  I don't know how motorcyclist do it.  It has the brake booster so it stops ok. I haven't had to stop in an emergency.  It has pneumatic tires but they were put on in 1936 so I don't want to be too hard on them.   

image.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BC Mack said:

Wimps..!!!!  LOL

these guys drive a bus chassis from factory to body builders 200 miles away at 70mph... grab a cup of tea, thumb a ride back... and next day do it all again.... hardy guys, always got my respect when they passed ME on the motorway...!!!  :D

BC Mack

BusChassis.jpg

My grandfather delivered Model A Fords from the Chester PA plant.  How much of a vehicle he got depended on what he was delivering.  He often sat on a wooden box while delivering truck chassis.   They gave him money for the return train ride, but if he hitched a ride he could keep the money.  One time he was delivering a truck chassis in the winter.  It slid off the road nose first into a snow bank up to the windshield.  He got pulled out and continued on his way without a scratch on it.  Mike

• Like 1

On September 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM, 41chevy said:

Getting a price to have 3 sets of these made for my 1930's AC's. They are 30 tooth sprockets. Cut, centerless ground and heat treated. Give the AC a potential 50 m.p.h. top speed, but mainly will make local running easier on the unit.

Would any body have any interest? Higher quantity make the costs lower.    Paul

http://ac 28 tooth sprocket_zpsnhu5ygh2.jpg

Paul, might have a fella up my way could maybe handle that job.  Can you give me specifics?

3 hours ago, mike69mackman said:

Paul, might have a fella up my way could maybe handle that job.  Can you give me specifics?

Steelman  gave me a company that has a very close sprocket as an off shelf item. I've ordered a pair to see what the modifications are needed to fit them on the transaxle. I'll keep your offer in mind if the work required is too much.  The machining and splines for the shaft or an adapter, I can do.     Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 9/21/2016 at 5:54 PM, steelman said:

This site is amazing.

• Like 1

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.