Mack V8 Diesel 998 Cid

56BMack

I was looking up information in a motors manual and decided to look at macks. I came across a mack V8 998 cid ( EM9-400 or 400 R and EMC9-400 or 400R)? 5 3/8 bore and 5 1/2 stroke. Is this a superliner engine or what models had this? What does this thing weigh and how well does it run? And the most important question has anybody squeezed this engine into any type of B series?

Randy

pretty much exactly everything fullfuel said is correct, they are heavy, it costs more to rebuild a v8 injection pump thean putting an inframe kit in an E7, but they make un godly amounts of horsepower on ONE Turbo, and the sound of a thundering v8 is like none other ever heard :mack1:

• 1 month later...
I was looking up information in a motors manual and decided to look at macks. I came across a mack V8 998 cid ( EM9-400 or 400 R and EMC9-400 or 400R)? 5 3/8 bore and 5 1/2 stroke. Is this a superliner engine or what models had this? What does this thing weigh and how well does it run? And the most important question has anybody squeezed this engine into any type of B series?

Randy

Best damn engine Mack ever built was the E-9. They do weigh alot and cost more to work on than a six cylinder, but you have 2 more cylinders and 2 more heads but the power they generate makes it well worth any extra cost. I think the first year you could get one was 1982. A 16 liter engine in 1982. Just goes to show Mack has always been ahead of their time. Not only do they make tremendous horsepower but the get very decent fuel economy. I have a 1990 Superliner with a E-9 and pull flatbeds and lowboys always grossing 80000 plus, and I average 5.52mpg. Not too shabbey if you you ask me. And there are not many trucks on the road that can run with it, except other E-9's. :mack1::thumb:

Best damn engine Mack ever built was the E-9.  They do weigh alot and cost more to work on  than a six cylinder,  but you have 2 more cylinders and 2 more heads but the power they generate makes it well worth any extra cost.  I think the first year you could get one was 1982.  A 16 liter engine in 1982.  Just goes to show Mack has always been ahead of their time.  Not only do they make tremendous horsepower but the get very decent fuel  economy.  I have a 1990 Superliner with a E-9 and pull flatbeds and lowboys always grossing 80000 plus, and I average 5.52mpg.  Not too shabbey if you you ask me.  And there are not many trucks on the road that can run with it,  except other E-9's.    :mack1:    :thumb:

Your 100% right in my book. My E-9 can pass anything on a hill or push it up the hill. Had a guy last year talk'in trash about my truck and he left the pit before me with his "big cat"......I caught him on the hill and that bulldog chewed his butt all the way up the hill. He couldn't believe it...never said anything negative about an E-9 agian :thumb: Tim