Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GOOG

E9 MAGIC

Recommended Posts

I've read a lot on this forum about the awesome power of the Mack E9 V8.  I'm wondering where the E9 shines the most. I'd like to hear from some guys that have, or have had this big power plant.  I'm looking at one with a Mack 18 speed behind it.  The pros and cons of owning one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They shine with about a 140,000lbs gross wt climbing a long  grade .  You just haven't went truck'n till you've had that experience of heavy load on a long hill and passin everyone .  There's nothing like it. I used to like coming up the Niagra escarpment  out of Hamilton Ont. Hauling steel 85, 000 plus pounds on the deck of my six axle used to drop one gear in my 15 spd over and shed he'd t down to around 1650 rpm and hold it there she'd get down to 50 mph . I'm guessing it's probably close to 2 miles but a lot of  trucks go up there a lot slower with less weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BAD DOG said:

BAD DOG, what version E9 did you have?  Was it stock, or turned up?  I'm looking at a truck with a freshly rebuilt E9 500. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GOOG said:

BAD DOG,what version E9 did you have? Was it stock, or turned up? I'm looking at a truck with a freshly rebuilt E9 500.

It is a inline pump engine that started in late 92. Can tell from the low intake tube.

I can say be careful with a fresh rebuild... If all that work was done why sell it? I bought my Superliner with a low miles rebuilt engine. The rebuild was done in 2005 and it sat for years. It recently dropped a valve seat at 15,000 miles, 3000 after I bought it. In fairness it is turned up a lot, was a sled puller for a time but I was babying it since I got it to feel it out. It does have Reman heads and all Mack parts, big buck rebuild.

Get the work order that went with the rebuild., if it is fresh there is a warranty that should transfer. If like me the time ran out years ago not miles. Mack Reman parts are not what they used to be. There is a member or two here that has paid for Genuine Reman and had major issues. Right Superdog?

If you get it put some loaded miles on it to make sure all is OK. I had some issues to work out with mine and still have few to go. It was a play truck but I actually haul with it now. By the way what are you looking at, lets see some photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

It is a inline pump engine that started in late 92. Can tell from the low intake tube.

I can say be careful with a fresh rebuild... If all that work was done why sell it? I bought my Superliner with a low miles rebuilt engine. The rebuild was done in 2005 and it sat for years. It recently dropped a valve seat at 15,000 miles, 3000 after I bought it. In fairness it is turned up a lot, was a sled puller for a time but I was babying it since I got it to feel it out. It does have Reman heads and all Mack parts, big buck rebuild.

Get the work order that went with the rebuild., if it is fresh there is a warranty that should transfer. If like me the time ran out years ago not miles. Mack Reman parts are not what they used to be. There is a member or two here that has paid for Genuine Reman and had major issues. Right Superdog?

If you get it put some loaded miles on it to make sure all is OK. I had some issues to work out with mine and still have few to go. It was a play truck but I actually haul with it now. By the way what are you looking at, lets see some photos.

The former superb Mack Trucks Remanufacturing Center outside of MIddletown, Pennsylvania, established by the legendary Ross Rhodes, is now a Volvo branded facility.

http://www.volvotrucks.us/about-volvo/facilities/reman-center/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GOOG said:

 

Mine was or is a 92 E9 450 Robert Bosch inline pump stock except for an ajustment on the fuel plate and aneroid valve a bit this engine was and isn't a smoker unless you lug the crap out of it . I still have it its in my 89 Superliner now back then it was in a 92 MH613  and at the time I was hauling steel for a bit  it was a fairly fresh rebuild on this engine. The MH was in a wreck  shortly after and kept that engine and put it in my Superliner . I only use it for show now it's still low mileage I do get the itch to hook on a big load and try it out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the orange RW out of TN or close.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at the CL that is in the classified section on this site.  I'm usually hesitant to go into detail about a purchase so as not to draw unwanted interest into the situation.  But this truck is out in the open already.  Does anyone have info on it?  I am a Superliner guy from way back, however I am 6'-8" and really appreciate the added space in the CL cab.  This truck while 2500 miles away from me, is how I would spec it, minus a double frame.  The seller said it has been turned up a bit (700), but that it's at about 550 now.  To be honest, I'd like it at 700.  You don't have to use it all, but it's sure nice to have it waiting for you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya at 6'8" and a r model cab you are asking for a broken neck! At 6'3" I hate to see a bump in the road cuz I know its going to shorten my spine! as for the e9 they are awesome ! and so are the part prices.......and I don't mean awesome in a good way when talking about parts!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

Ya at 6'8" and a r model cab you are asking for a broken neck! At 6'3" I hate to see a bump in the road cuz I know its going to shorten my spine! as for the e9 they are awesome ! and so are the part prices.......and I don't mean awesome in a good way when talking about parts!   

I am not as concerned with the price of the parts as I am the availability of the parts.  I buy Cat and Case earth moving equipment parts every day.  Cat charges a lot, but has everything I want almost instantly.  Case charges more, and often the part is not available.  Some of my Cat machines go back well into the 70's.  While Case no longer supports two machines that are a 1998 and a 2000. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far we've been able to get parts for our E9 they are expensive though . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GOOG said:

I am not as concerned with the price of the parts as I am the availability of the parts.  I buy Cat and Case earth moving equipment parts every day.  Cat charges a lot, but has everything I want almost instantly.  Case charges more, and often the part is not available.  Some of my Cat machines go back well into the 70's.  While Case no longer supports two machines that are a 1998 and a 2000. 

what two case machines? i've  had good luck with them (granted not cat they would still supply parts for my old d4 7u) but I can still get most parts for case machines that are late 60's and up. I am not a fan of the new CNH parts prices! but still much better than Deere (both price and product)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two 9060B excavators.  I can get some stuff.  For instance, I just bought the last heater control valve on the planet.  I needed a final drive, but had to search for a used one.  Not much support from Case.  Cat has whatever I need.  I have two 966C loaders.  They have or will get anything I need.  I'm a devout Cat man!  Feel the same way about Mack.  Although with the changes Volvo is making, that is subject to change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read a lot about the two different styles of injection pumps.  The V style and inline. The truck I'm looking at has an inline pump.  is that a Bosch, or Robert Bosch? Which is better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys looking for older machinery parts check into WENGER'S MACHINERY in Myerstown, PA. Their business is used farm & construction equipment and parts. I'm sure they ship anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GOOG said:

I've read a lot about the two different styles of injection pumps.  The V style and inline. The truck I'm looking at has an inline pump.  is that a Bosch, or Robert Bosch? Which is better? 

I've got them both... Both are fine and do the job well. I prefer the inline but it is only because it is the newer one. The inline is the one most truck pullers are looking for. I have seen more of them on Pulling Pickup truck V8's than E9's lately. As far as value the inline is more expensive to get, because of the demand from the P/U guys, but both cost about the same to rebuild. Both can be turned up.

There is no real difference in any truck E9 400-500hp except for pump, turbo, intake and oil pan( front or rear sump). A E9 is a E9.... they did not change much. A real difference is the pump timing from year to year. Started with about 17 degrees, 1979 and dropped to 11 about 1990 with the inline pump. It was an EPA thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...