Engine Brake

I purchased a 2016 Mack Gu 813 rolloff truck 6 days ago in South Florida. I took it out to work and the engine brake does not work. I called Mack and they think I am an Idiot by telling me that with the engine brake on,  it does not make a sound and it does not assist in slowing the truck down.  The  problem is they do not know how to fix it. The truck has 400 miles. I cannot use this truck for very heavy loads. I guess my other 2 trucks make loud noises and slow the truck down with the engine brake on, must be a mulfunction. 

4 hours ago, sgosine577 said:

I purchased a 2016 Mack Gu 813 rolloff truck 6 days ago in South Florida. I took it out to work and the engine brake does not work. I called Mack and they think I am an Idiot by telling me that with the engine brake on,  it does not make a sound and it does not assist in slowing the truck down.  The  problem is they do not know how to fix it. The truck has 400 miles. I cannot use this truck for very heavy loads. I guess my other 2 trucks make loud noises and slow the truck down with the engine brake on, must be a mulfunction. 

If you're displeased with this dealer's response to your concerns, I suggest you call Volvo Group's Mack brand "customer satisfaction " hotline for the U.S. and Canada at +1 (866) 298-6586 and speak to them about it.

• Like 2

I've also had problems with brake cruise switch below or beside the main brake switch in picture. If the set speed is too high the brake won't turn on. I had the same problem on a new customer truck during a test drive.  Try to lower set speed and see if this works. Another problem we see is increasing idle speed via the cruise control switch. The brake won't work until you turn brake switch off and back on after you start moving. The brake control valve under the valve cover is actuated via ground wire, +12V is constant all the time. You can check ground on pin to see if turns on/off.2016 Mack Brake Switch.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have a 2008 Mack mp8 with loss of power down low and eng brack not working on the harder setting but is working on the low setting it seems to me like the eng bracks are still haff on or somthing when trying to get up in the revs seems to go ok up in 13 revs it’s all most like it’s stoping it from makeing boost in low revs 

From stop start it make no boost until 13 revs so when driveing atm him have to to realy rev it it out to case want make boost till 13 revs and at the same time the hard setting on eng brack stoped working all at the same time so it’s like it has somthing to do with the end brack but eng bracks will work on the week setting