Brand new Scania in US

Leonardo Favaro

This particular Scania is spec'd for a western European owner operator.

Scania trucks, like those produced by its old partner Mack Trucks, are custom built. Thus, the final build result varies widely. A truck for Australia, or purpose-built for a U.S. fleet, wouldn't look like this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

This particular Scania is spec'd for a western European owner operator.

Scania trucks, like those produced by its old partner Mack Trucks, are custom built. Thus, the final build result varies widely. A truck for Australia, or purpose-built for a U.S. fleet, wouldn't look like this.

12742843_487028508171274_4287282830479033433_n.jpg

Thank you Leonardo, that's what I'm talking about. This absolutely beautiful burgundy-colored R 440 "Streamline" has an entirely different flavor from that red R500 "Highline" owner-driver truck, and what many U.S. customers would be more accustomed to (imagine if the MH Ultra-Liner had not been prematurely terminated).

• Like 2

If the company I work for bought those they would lose half the drivers plus some mechanics. First thing to go is the double hump fenders, chain up on Cabbage, Lookout, Pipestone,  Stevens, Snoqualmie and White pass would total those fenders out in no time. Plus I wonder what that windshield costs. The way the roads are sanded and rocked we change out two to three windshields a weekend during the winter months.

Truck Shop

• Like 2

One ping only

The windshield's price is lower than a Volvo FH's.

Based in Scandinavia, Scania knows a bit about what a truck has to contend with during the winter months.

Those rear drive axle fenders are "int'l standard", a proven design in every type of operation. Have you ever experienced them?

I doubt any normal, rational driver or mechanic that would leave before taking the time to experience the truck. The old adage, "don't knock until you've tried it", applies here.

The Scania is the best driving and most comfortable truck in the world, and it's legendary modular construction makes it a technician's dream.

Have you sir driven a new Scania Streamline?

No I haven't driven a Scania. Throw a set of three railers on it three times in one day or even a set of singles. There is a reason COE's became extinct many years ago in the US. Not trying to argue anything. 500 Hp is a small engine with Electronic logs these days. If your hauling 105,000 a driver needs as much Hp and torque to keep his average time up. 

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

The COE became extinct in the U.S. owing to the introduction of inefficient new weight laws by bureaucrats clueless about efficient transport.

We have 16.4-litre V-8s up to 730 horsepower, if that best suits your requirement. 

After you make a point of driving a Scania for the first time, please let me know your thoughts.

• Like 2

Just wonder how that red thing looks exotic on American highways?

Suppose it takes some folks' head turning.

And sure it's a pleasure to drive. At least if you can accept COE at all.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Here on the udder side of the world in Oz

Scania have been here for a long time

problem iz:

U want Alternator, Starter, P.T.O., GearBox, Diffs, suspension, bits n pieces U got a Deal with Scania @  a hi price

Least with Yanky iron seems like most truck makers use the same items n th@ keeps the price down n available 

@ most good Cnr stores

the lo farring under the front bumper of the cab ovr as pictured above  is a problem if n U go off rd ..th@ will lead to many more dollars to fix

The bonnetted Scania haz the name of a Gun Boot ( Wellys, rubber boots etc)

gumboot1.jpg

Scania Gum Boot

LOL

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 7:01 AM, Swishy said:

Here on the udder side of the world in Oz

Scania have been here for a long time

problem iz:

U want Alternator, Starter, P.T.O., GearBox, Diffs, suspension, bits n pieces U got a Deal with Scania @  a hi price

Least with Yanky iron seems like most truck makers use the same items n th@ keeps the price down n available 

@ most good Cnr stores

the lo farring under the front bumper of the cab ovr as pictured above  is a problem if n U go off rd ..th@ will lead to many more dollars to fix

The bonnetted Scania haz the name of a Gun Boot ( Wellys, rubber boots etc)

Scania Gum Boot

LOL

cya

§wishy

Do they make a set forward axle?

Lots of the "steering wheel holders" that knock cabovers have never driven one. I've driven both, and prefer cabovers. I'm not the only old timer that prefers cabovers, when the big fleets like Continental Baking and UPS switched from cabovers to conventionals in the 80s and 90s, a lot of experienced drivers hung on to their cabovers to the bitter end. Keep in mind too that some of you are comparing obsolete american cabover fleet trucks to modern air ride conventionals... If you compare like specced modern cabovers versus conventionals the cabover wins on most counts, though a conventional might make sense if your loads weigh out before they cube out. The rest of the world gets it- Cabovers are better... When will americans catch up?

11 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Lots of the "steering wheel holders" that knock cabovers have never driven one. I've driven both, and prefer cabovers. I'm not the only old timer that prefers cabovers, when the big fleets like Continental Baking and UPS switched from cabovers to conventionals in the 80s and 90s, a lot of experienced drivers hung on to their cabovers to the bitter end. Keep in mind too that some of you are comparing obsolete american cabover fleet trucks to modern air ride conventionals... If you compare like specced modern cabovers versus conventionals the cabover wins on most counts, though a conventional might make sense if your loads weigh out before they cube out. The rest of the world gets it- Cabovers are better... When will americans catch up?

I'm not knocking cabovers , In 78 I drove a 352 pete 110 A model cat plus a 362 3408 cat 110 and a 110 K100 B425. 

Truck Shop

One ping only

16 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The windshield's price is lower than a Volvo FH's.

Based in Scandinavia, Scania knows a bit about what a truck has to contend with during the winter months.

Those rear drive axle fenders are "int'l standard", a proven design in every type of operation. Have you ever experienced them?

I doubt any normal, rational driver or mechanic that would leave before taking the time to experience the truck. The old adage, "don't knock until you've tried it", applies here.

The Scania is the best driving and most comfortable truck in the world, and it's legendary modular construction makes it a technician's dream.

Have you sir driven a new Scania Streamline?

Those international standard rear fenders are NOT conducive to being able to put chains on a truck. I chain up fall thru spring and on occasion summer when it's muddy and can quite confidently tell you those fenders would be the first thing I would take off because you can't chain up with them. Never drove a scania but have drove some old coe's and hated the cramped leg room (I'm tall), and didn't care for sitting you butt right over your steer axle. Every time it went up or down so did I. Now I know I'm talking about driving dinosaurs there but I also disagree with you and teamster that all conventionals suck and coe's are the ONLY right choice. A lot of it comes down to preference and I happen to see many conventional macks and kw's from other countries posted on here often so I don't think America has any catching up to do. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

6 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

The rest of the world gets it- Cabovers are better... When will americans catch up?

I hope that will NOT be soon.

Otherwise the world will finally lost the most attractive-looking trucks :D:D:D

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

19 hours ago, Truck Shop said:

COE's are not a truck that you want to live in on the road. A six cylinder is just less moving parts.

Truck Shop     end of discussion 

10 hours ago, Truck Shop said:

I'm not knocking cabovers , In 78 I drove a 352 pete 110 A model cat plus a 362 3408 cat 110 and a 110 K100 B425. 

Truck Shop

You say that you're not knocking COE's, but in fact you are when you say "COE's are not a truck that you want to live in on the road".

I respect your personal past opinion.......of course.

Many a man lived on the road in Mack F-models, Cruise-Liners and Ultra-Liners, and loved their trucks (particularly the V8-powered units). Fast forward to the state-of-the art Scania COE that we have today, there is no better environment for "living on the road" (and the V8 is a joy).

The real question is, why are we putting up with living on the road? That said, the Euro cabovers are short because the length laws allow a 13.6 meter trailer in a 16.5 meter overall length- Figure in trailer front swing radius and even with a 1.6 meter long pin you've got trailer+swing radius= 14 meters and only 2.5 meters left for cab. That's why the Euro cabovers don't come with "condo" sleepers! We had a similar situation in the U.S. before the STAA of 1982 when most states restricted single trailers to 45 foot length in a 55 foot overall length, and like Europe a 36 inch or so wide sleeper bunk was the widest practical. If the Euro overall length requirements were relaxed, we'd see longer cabs and wider bunks there.

• Like 1

The real question is, why are we putting up with living on the road? That said, the Euro cabovers are short because the length laws allow a 13.6 meter trailer in a 16.5 meter overall length- Figure in trailer front swing radius and even with a 1.6 meter long pin you've got trailer+swing radius= 14 meters and only 2.5 meters left for cab. That's why the Euro cabovers don't come with "condo" sleepers! We had a similar situation in the U.S. before the STAA of 1982 when most states restricted single trailers to 45 foot length in a 55 foot overall length, and like Europe a 36 inch or so wide sleeper bunk was the widest practical. If the Euro overall length requirements were relaxed, we'd see longer cabs and wider bunks there.

Hard for some to comprehend, but there are those of us that ENJOY life on the road, and there is money to be made doing a job that most people choose NOT to do. The MH Mack is IMHO one of the finest American trucks ever built. I owned and drove a V8 MH years ago, and I am putting together an E6 MH now for myself, because that is the truck I CHOOSE to operate. Isn't America great? So many choices, and the freedom to run any kind of truck you want in the pursuit of your own personal happiness.

Gregg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You say that you're not knocking COE's, but in fact you are when you say "COE's are not a truck that you want to live in on the road".

I respect your personal past opinion.......of course.

Many a man lived on the road in Mack F-models, Cruise-Liners and Ultra-Liners, and loved their trucks (particularly the V8-powered units). Fast forward to the state-of-the art Scania COE that we have today, there is no better environment for "living on the road" (and the V8 is a joy).

I cannot respect Truck Shops opinion. You can't make a judgement and have such a negative opinion if you have never drove one or experienced it. I'm not a fan of cabovers at all but I'd love to see, ride and drive one of those Scanias. Then I could give an opinion you could respect. 

• Like 2