News- Ford Medium Duty Trucks

kscarbel2

The only companies buying F-650s and F-750s are the ones looking for the absolute cheapest Class 6 or Class 7 on the market......and they enter the purchase knowing it's a throw-away truck. Companies seeking longevity look elsewhere. No serious truck operator thinks Ford's beefed up Class 2-3 Powerstroke and automatic transmission will perform and live in Class 6-7, none believe it is on par with the Cummins ISB and Allison. Frankly if I could, I'd spec F-450 and F-550 with four cylinder engines (Isuzu 4HK1-TC or Daimler DD5) paired with Allisons for the US market.

Ford builds a low cost, simple, yet strong truck that lasts and always has. They sold more F650's last year than all the trucks Mack sold (HDT sales figures). I would bet there are more Ford class 6-8 trucks on the road running in the US than Mack and a few others. Mack built a better truck, but you paid a lot more for one. There are a lot of 1998-1970 L-series still working, with no real dealer support. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:33 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The only companies buying F-650s and F-750s are the ones looking for the absolute cheapest Class 6 or Class 7 on the market......and they enter the purchase knowing it's a throw-away truck. Companies seeking longevity look elsewhere. No serious truck operator thinks Ford's beefed up Class 2-3 Powerstroke and automatic transmission will perform and live in Class 6-7, none believe it is on par with the Cummins ISB and Allison. Frankly if I could, I'd spec F-450 and F-550 with four cylinder engines (Isuzu 4HK1-TC or Daimler DD5) paired with Allisons for the US market.

Very much so throw aways. My buddy is a supervisor for a huge blacktop and concrete company. They bought a bunch of new ones because they're cheap. All gas burners too. Mileage is the same for gas and diesel but the diesels are way too expensive to operate. They used to get the little kenworths but they're too expensive. He said the Ford's are good for two maybe 3 seasons. After that he said u gotta get rid of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TS7 said:

That firm has a management problem.

I would say a management problem or that is their PM cycle:thumb:

Then again, could well be they get rid of them while they have good market value-not because they are junk and they like the low annual maintenance cost associated with low mileage vehicles.. I say that is an expensive strategy but I've heard of some companies that believe in that philosophy.  

On 3/31/2018 at 4:20 PM, TS7 said:

Ford builds a low cost, simple, yet strong truck that lasts and always has. They sold more F650's last year than all the trucks Mack sold (HDT sales figures). I would bet there are more Ford class 6-8 trucks on the road running in the US than Mack and a few others. Mack built a better truck, but you paid a lot more for one. There are a lot of 1998-1970 L-series still working, with no real dealer support. 

What is your thought process behind comparing Ford F-650 Class 6 sales and Mack brand Class 8 sales.

We have several Propane companies running the F650/750 trucks for delivery here in the north east.  The 6.8l V10 is one of the few propane fuel option engines and the Ford torqshift auto trans has been well received by drivers.  Trucks are running 200k+ miles with no power train issues.

You think Ford builds a truck with a junk powertrain that no real truck owner will want, but they sell a lot of them anyway. Ford sell's a lower cost truck that does the job and makes them money ( Ford and the buyer). A class 6 truck is not comparable with class 8 and should not be. The Ford powertrains are holding up.  But I have said before, if I was in the market for a heavy class 7 truck (33 GVW+) I would take a good look at Mack MHD. A F-750 is not as good as a MHD in a hard use job, but will last in a low mileage job and cost a lot less to buy. 

That's typical Class 6/7 operations, truck sits more than it's parked. For example, at UPS a straight truck sits parked until afternoon, then makes a 10 mile or so trip to a medium sized shipper where it sits a while being loaded. Another 10 miles back to UPS, where it maybe sits a bit before a door opens up to unload it. Repeat a couple more times a day 'til the truck gets parked for the night. So we're talking about maybe 10-20k miles a year for an original owner that will maybe keep it 10 years... Well within the life expectancy of an F650/750. Class 8 linehaul is a whole different world where a UPS Mack will cover 500 miles on the day shift, then cover another 100-200 miles on the night shift running to the intermodal yards and suburban hubs.

• 2 months later...

Hershey's Ice Cream Company, Harrisburg, PA uses this Ford F-650 delivery truck. Hershey's used to have a fleet of GMCs but has switched to mostly Freightliners and Fords.

bulldogboy

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1