Maxitorque input shaft gear

c-mac

I wish I had more to go on but, I Just got a 2010 Granate Maxitorque dumped on me with the tranny already on the floor. I got four different stories about what was wrong with it. I finally got in touch with the fella that pulled it down and he said " it had all kids of chattering noise in the tranny when coming off the clutch." He also said it had fine metal in the oil that looked like metalic paint. I  pulled both top covers and inspected and worked all the gears. saw no broke parts. But what I did find was the input shaft gear has a lot of slack or backlash verus the input shaft, meaning if I hold the input shaft the gear will rock back and fourth about .020. I pulled the spiral ring that holds the gear to the input shaft, pulled the gear off and inspected the cogs. to my surprise they didnt look worn but the lock ring groove had pastie fine metal in the area where the ring goes. I have repaired automotive manual transmissions  but nothing like this. I really can't see there being any play in the input haft gear to the input shaft. All the trannys I worked on the the shaft and the gear are one piece. I have also ispected the clutch. It appears to be ok. Thanks in advance for any help!

Not sure if it would pull itself. The guy who checked it out is on vacation. I called him and he said the truck was towed in from the field. He don't know why but someone tried to adjust the clutch, the pedal was almost all free play . He adjusted the clutch to where it felt normal, reinstalled the driveshaft when he went to pull away he said it lugged the engine down and chattered loudly. What I saw when inspecting the transmission is, I pulled the input housing, the gear that's held on by a spiral ring had play in all directions. It would move up and down and would rock back and forth while holding the shaft still. I have gave the clutch a good looking over. This is a remack remanufactured transmission with very few miles on it

capturedvideo.MOV

Edited by c-mac

I dont think think from what I have read there is anything wrong with the transmission sounds like the clutch brake was torn of the input shaft (the chattering noise) and when the clutch was adjusted the bolt wasnt seated back in the clutch properly and went straight out of adjustment in a big way 

There is a fare bit of movement in those input shaft until the other end is back in the crank 

Paul

With the input shaft removed, the gear will flop around quite a bit in the shaft, once it's installed back in the trans, the countershaft gears will center it up. If that makes sense.

I couldn't watch the video on my phone.

1 hour ago, c-mac said:

It's not the shaft that concerns me it's the play in the gear on the transmission side.

capturedvideo.MOV

But if you look inside the gear or on the out side of the shaft is it worn doesnt matter what we think it should be if it is worn its stuffed but you should be able to see the wear marks on it I would think it will have a fare amount of movement in it even when its new 

Maybe go to your local truck parts person and grab the shaft and gear off the shelf and have a look at a new set ???

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update...After inspecting the innards of the tranny without tearing it down we reinstalled it. The splitter works fine sitting still, with the switch up it is in high, but when you shift from 5th to 6th driving it goes to neutral. Its a mind boggleing thing.