B 61 Tie Rod Ends

HarryS

I'm trying to find  L & R tie rod ends. The axle is a FA 505. Both ends are right hand thread but one is a finer thread than the other (seems weird). I tried Barry but he doesn't think anyone is producing then any more.

When you gave Barry the 1QHA number "stamped" on the front of your axle beam for him to reference to, did he say your tie-rod ends were rebuildable?

If they are, those parts might still be available individually. (ball stud, spring, seal, washers, ect.)

Unlike a typical car/pickup tie rod end, they use different thread pitches to allow lengthening/shortening the rod by just twisting it.  Unlike a car where they are left and right handed. Strange, but it works.  I went through this about 5 yrs ago with my truck.  Lucky mine are still available, but it is the larger 517 axle.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

15 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Okay.

When you gave Barry the 1QHA number "stamped" on the front of your axle beam for him to reference to, what are the two 10QH part numbers he came up with for tie-rod ends?   10QH11A/10QH12A?  10QH35/10QH36?

He didn't give a number for the ends, just said they hadn't had any for about 5 years and also that PAI didn't have them either. My axle # is1QHA 4125 BPS (or 5). Would those numbers you list be current part numbers for the ends?

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Unlike a typical car/pickup tie rod end, they use different thread pitches to allow lengthening/shortening the rod by just twisting it.  Unlike a car where they are left and right handed. Strange, but it works.  I went through this about 5 yrs ago with my truck.  Lucky mine are still available, but it is the larger 517 axle.

Larry, It is strange but it seems to make sense when you think about it.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2016 at 0:58 AM, HarryS said:

He didn't give a number for the ends, just said they hadn't had any for about 5 years and also that PAI didn't have them either. My axle # is1QHA 4125 BPS (or 5). Would those numbers you list be current part numbers for the ends?

Larry, It is strange but it seems to make sense when you think about it.

Okay, that stamped 1QHA4125BP5 is your front axle arrangement. The exploded view shows all the parts, numbers and quantities.

I realize demand is low. Still, it's regrettable that, given the popularity of the FA505 axle, tie-rod ends are no longer available. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby j said:

Could you possibly buy complete tie rod assy with both left and right hand threads on ends.....that's what parts man down here wants me to do....,it's a 12,000 front axle right ?.....as long as the studs are the same diameter.....Bobby j.

No, the 8,000 lb-rated Mack model FA505 steer axle is from the 1960s.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:42 PM, Bobby j said:

Could you possibly buy complete tie rod assy with both left and right hand threads on ends.....that's what parts man down here wants me to do....,it's a 12,000 front axle right ?.....as long as the studs are the same diameter.....Bobby j.

Bobby, It sounds like you are having the same problem as I am. Any luck?  I have not come up with anything yet.

I agree. You would think if the supply was all used up and there are still plenty of this axle set around it would be worth while to do a run. I have no idea how much or how many units it would take. One of our local parts houses gave me a print out of the different type ends available in a progressive size chart and there is nothing close. Most all of the rods available have a male threaded end as opposed to female.

On 6/28/2016 at 2:06 PM, Red Horse said:

guys-just trying to anticipate future issues-my axle is an FA-519.  My build sheet does not list tie rod ends.  the only left and right components listed are..."Steering knuckle assembly " (L & R) , and "cross steering Lever" (L & R)

Guys-any opinions?

I would say as long as the tapers are the same and you can get the right length bar, use it.  I wonder if there is anything you could change out(like steering arm on the spindle) to get 517 ends to fit?

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Harry.....parts man in Macon told me to take mine off and he was gonna try and get me a complete tie rod assy...as long as the studs where the same....he's an old Mack parts guy.....mine has the power assist ram bolted to tie rod bar...I just haven't had time to take mine off as its hay season and I help some of these farmers down here with their equipment,...once I find out I'll let you know,,,,,Bobby j,

Mine has the power assist ram also.   In the absence of coming up with anything better I thought of tie rod sleeves that would allow use of a male connection tie rod. Moog has sleeves listed that would fit the fine thread end of the tie rod but not the course end. I can't see where this set up would be a safety issue, especially for an old retired Mack that leads a life of leisure. I have mine apart and will take measurements and call Moog on Tuesday. It will also be interesting to see what the "old Mack parts guy" comes up with.

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Here is some previous discussion that may be helpful.

By application, those Meritor numbers are applicable to F090 (9,000lb), F120 (12,000lb) and F160 (16,000lb) General Motors truck axles.

http://truckpartsetc.com/sales/PDFs/Arvin Meritor (Euclid)/Meritor_FrontAxle.pdf

And didn't they end up using a different tie rod tube?............http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/16975-great-parts-dealer/

Based on his 1QH4125BP5 front axle arrangement, I'd like to know what Mack 10QH tie rod ends are listed.

17 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

By application, those Meritor numbers are applicable to F090 (9,000lb), F120 (12,000lb) and F160 (16,000lb) General Motors truck axles.

http://truckpartsetc.com/sales/PDFs/Arvin Meritor (Euclid)/Meritor_FrontAxle.pdf

And didn't they end up using a different tie rod tube?............http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/16975-great-parts-dealer/

Based on his 1QH4125BP5 front axle arrangement, I'd like to know what Mack 10QH tie rod ends are listed.

I checked the build sheet and found 10QHA 220 P1 & 221 P1 listed as "cross steering socket asy", which sounds like tie rod ends.  I missed that before not recognizing their naming. Here is a picture of the ones that are on now.

DSCN0001.JPG

Without know much about b model tie rod ends, I did see a company advertising rebuilding tie rid ends. 

Its called the "nu-tech polymer bushing system". Just google it.

Would be interested to get a smart mans opinion on it. 

19 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

10QH220P1 and 10QH221P1.......good job.

That looks like a rebuildable end to me. The 1QH4125BP5 front axle arrangment, in a parts book or on microfilm, would show the "break-down" of the ends, i.e. the stud,, spring, washers, seals, ect.

K, You are right it is rebuildable. It is a different configuration than the one in my service manual. There is a number on the tie rod and also the socket inside, 20-5050.

DSCN0001 (1).JPG