Titan or CHU Pinnacle for a lowboy tractor?

12 hours ago, bbigrig said:

Most Fleets up here hauling up to 135,000 lbs gross order CHU or CXU MP8 505hp. 

Very few order Titan. 

Geared and spec'd right they do just fine. 

I second this. 125,000lbs is not a big deal up here. Why don't you look at some Canadian dealers sites and see how they spec their trucks? I see you're in Ohio, which is pretty flat: Southern Ontario would be the most  similar. Hint: most of the Ontario Macks are CXU's 505/1850 mp8's with 14,600 + 46,000 axles and suspensions, 18spd or mDrive, and often geared around 3.73, 3.91 or even 4.11 (although I've only seen the latter on Western trucks.) By law we all have speed governors set at 65mph.

Only if you were in the mountains every day would I suggest a 500+hp 16L. BTW, I used to pull 125,000 daily with a 400hp c15 Cat. It did the trick.

When I recently chatted with a Mack salesman, he recommended not getting the mDrive HD for "such low weights." I can't see how it would hurt. I guess it depends how much these things cost.

Edited by Oso2

I'd agree on the MP8 simply because it's lighter and will carry more weight when hauling the inevitable lighter loads. Same with fuel economy- when it's 605 HP isn't needed, the MP10 is going to consume more fuel. As for Pinnacle vs. Granite, have the dealers spec and price out both and compare. And avoid the Volvo automated manual like the plague- Once the truck is out of warranty, it's a $15,000 ticking financial time bomb.

You guys sound just like the mack guys back in the 80s telling my father he didnt need a superliner and didn't need the e9 engine or air conditioning.  To me you only live once . I wouldn't buy a mack other than a Titan for heavy haul. They run cool in extreme heat. Awesome engine brake.  We didn't pay 80k more than a granite for the titans I think was 12k more . 

20160510_142245.jpg

A Pinnacle also has much better sleeper options. I'd also guess that more shops are familiar with the mp8/d13 than the mp10, which is kind of a rare bird.

A few other pros: Visibility will also be better with a cxu. That cxu/mp8 will be more versatile, in that it will enable you haul regular 80k loads more efficiently. The truck can also be easily repurposed into a freight hauler (roof fairings, etc.) should your lowboy work dry up.

With modern emissions, I've heard that the best bet is to buy new and sell it just before the warranty expires.  As for the mDrive/IShift, they're been around forever, and I haven't heard anything bad about their reliability (I've worked for 2 companies that ran them). Which doesn't mean that nothing bad will ever happen. They won't be as cheap to work on as a manual though. I don't know if they are better or worse with clutches.

1 hour ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Truck more efficiently and you can knock off early or make an extra house payment...

For us the titans are efficient as anything else. All the other loggers in our area run ether western star with dd16 or kenworth with Cummins isx 15 . We ran mack e7 engines for years they did the job but on steep hill starts in the woods they didn't have enough power and the engine break sucked . For us the 16 liter engine works better

Assuming you can actually use that horsepower. Where I live our roads are mostly flat 2 lanes with 55 to 65 MPH speed limits. Weight limit is 80k pounds except for 97k when hauling farm products off the interstate. Even at 97k pounds anything more than 500 HP would be wasted, and at 80k pounds an MP7 would be just as fast as an MP10. Just west of here in South Dakota the rules are different, with maximum weight governed only by bridge formula and 17 axle doubles running at around 170k pounds not being unusual. At those weights, an MP10 at 605 HP would be barely adequate and the Euro 750 HP MP10 would be nice.

• Like 1

Well in southern Ohio where a lot of the work is it is not very flat, in fact some routes can get pretty scetchy, ( steep grades 90 degree turns at the bottom of the grades, etc. I don't know where people get that  Ohio is flat. 

I am not sure I will like not being able to control my gears. I have always driven manual trucks wether it be dump trucks or lowboys. I too am old school and I think I will stick with either the 13 or 18 speed trans. 

Question though about the Mdrive, Is the only way to manually shift it from the pad all the way to the far right on the dash or is it like the Allison 12 speeds where they have paddle shifters on the wheel? I would think reaching across the dash would become a danger. 

I guess my biggest concern is the turning radius of the Titan. I mean the added hp would be nice if I ever decide to step up my weights over 125k lbs but I need to be able to get into construction sites and many can be tight , plus some city streets where the sites are located can also be difficult to navigate with a truck that turns like a battleship. 

I am pretty sure I am leaning toward a CHU rawhide edition 13-18 speed with e the MP-8 505. I can always buy another truck down the road for the heavier hauls. It is my plan to grow eventually anyhow and a Titan would be a good second truck.

Tony

Well in southern Ohio where a lot of the work is it is not very flat, in fact some routes can get pretty scetchy, ( steep grades 90 degree turns at the bottom of the grades, etc. I don't know where people get that  Ohio is flat. 

I am not sure I will like not being able to control my gears. I have always driven manual trucks wether it be dump trucks or lowboys. I too am old school and I think I will stick with either the 13 or 18 speed trans. 

Question though about the Mdrive, Is the only way to manually shift it from the pad all the way to the far right on the dash or is it like the Allison 12 speeds where they have paddle shifters on the wheel? I would think reaching across the dash would become a danger. 

I guess my biggest concern is the turning radius of the Titan. I mean the added hp would be nice if I ever decide to step up my weights over 125k lbs but I need to be able to get into construction sites and many can be tight , plus some city streets where the sites are located can also be difficult to navigate with a truck that turns like a battleship. 

I am pretty sure I am leaning toward a CHU rawhide edition 13-18 speed with e the MP-8 505. I can always buy another truck down the road for the heavier hauls. It is my plan to grow eventually anyhow and a Titan would be a good second truck.

Interesting to hear a teamster talk about trucking efficiently. Most I know are not too mindful of the boss's money.

3 hours ago, Tuffguy707 said:

1. Driving through it! The I90, I75 and I71 are flat,flat,flat.

2. Yes, the only way to switch to manual mode is through the dash pad. But at 6'  I found the reach to be comfortable and natural - no harder than reaching for a stick. I haven't heard any complaints from others. Personally i never had a problem with the mDrive/iShift, and never had it choose a wrong gear on me - but then again, I drive on pavement and don't often go above 80k. All of our other drivers seem to prefer the 505hp Macks to our Cascadias - and they pull a lot of 90,000lb loads (139k gross).

BTW, I prefer the (standard?) horizontal arrangement, which should give you a little more dash space to play with.

For what it's worth, i'm just a company driver, so take it all with a grain of salt. Speaking of grains of salt, here's a promo video of a 505 mp8 Pinnacle loaded to 139k in British Columbia (where the hills are somewhat big!)

Edited by Oso2
  • Like 2

yes you can  control the gears manually  also there is a performance button  when you use it trans goes through every gear  and shifts at 1600 1700 rpms    if you dont use it   it skips gears takes off in like 4th  and shifts at 1400 or so   the 13 or 14spd m drive sounds appealing for lowboy use.   and  there is  some people on here  that have no clue what flat ground looks like.   Titans are nice but over priced and overkill for alot applications   its to heavy to make a road tractor out of  you only see them under lowboys or log trucks and I don't think  they are interested in  lighting it up the vt800 series volvos was a disaster 

You can set up a Granite tractor for a lowboy tractor and it will do a great job - much more flexibility than the CHU in terms of frames, axles and suspensions and it will look better too!

• Like 1

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

I 70- 71- and 90 are as flat as they come. Take state route 250 past cadiz or jump on rt 43 from canton and take it south to stubenville. These are the routes most of the heavy haul trucks have to take to get to sites. Leave bridgeport and head north on 250 and you will not see a flat mile of road let alone one straight enough to see anything coming the other direction. 

I am sorry I am not trying to argue but a lot of people who just pass through ohio only see the interstates. They do not see where we have to take these lowboys. I would love to avoid 250 for example but I do not have a choice if that is where the machine has to go that I am hauling. 

Edited by Tuffguy707
  • Like 1

Tony

After watching the videos ( thank you ) I might reconsider the M- Drive. I really just need to test drive one to get a feel for it and make my decision from there.

Thank you everyone for your replies

I drive an I-shift Volvo at my current job and love it. I prefer the shift control on the side of the seat(Volvo) rather than on the dash(Mack). Just read the manual and learn all the features of the transmission and it works well. Manual override, power/economy shift parameters, and integrated engine braking makes for easy driving.

• Like 1

Ok I have another question if you guys don't mind me picking your brains a little more. How is the emissions garbage on the newer Macks? I know International has had a lot of issues with theirs and the first thing i do with my Cummins powered Rams is delete everything. have there been a lot of issues with Macks, Is there a way to delete Macks? ( I know its illegal but I'd rather deal with that then deal with what an EGR does to an engine.

Tony

Many of the complaints/problems that are emissions related are due to excessive idling.

If you plan on sitting more than two minutes, run the RPMs to about 900 or so

the blue stuff crystallizes and clogs the injector causing a fault code. cleaning is a beotch

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

46 minutes ago, Tuffguy707 said:

Ok I have another question if you guys don't mind me picking your brains a little more. How is the emissions garbage on the newer Macks? I know International has had a lot of issues with theirs and the first thing i do with my Cummins powered Rams is delete everything. have there been a lot of issues with Macks, Is there a way to delete Macks? ( I know its illegal but I'd rather deal with that then deal with what an EGR does to an engine.

This is what I was talking about with my suggestion; of best warranty money can buy & trading before it runs out if feasible; if you don't know anything about these newer trucks I have another suggestion; you better read up on this forum some more!!

54 minutes ago, 1965 said:

This is what I was talking about with my suggestion; of best warranty money can buy & trading before it runs out if feasible; if you don't know anything about these newer trucks I have another suggestion; you better read up on this forum some more!!

No I understand what you are saying. Yeah Trading before the warranty runs out is probably a good idea. 

Tony