Looking for a Mack Fire Engine

Firebuster

1 hour ago, 64C85 said:

Try contacting these guys.  They are quite active and my be able to help you out.

http://www.texasfiremuseum.org/

A DMV search turned up nothing in Texas, I'm working on other states now.

I have found some more good news as to where this may have gone.

It was sold and a new title issued in Missouri.

A company by the name of Firemaster purchased it and re-titled it 12-17-1984

mackhome.jpg

Edited by Firebuster

ece1.jpg

It's getting interesting - I hope you find it, and can't wait to see how far the search takes you.  It was certainly a beautiful rig, and it would be sad to find out that doesn't exist any more....

I've found out today that most all states DMV offices are legally permitted to tell you if a vehicle is titled within that state. They are not allowed to tell you who the owner is. If I can find the state I can find the owner. I've got 6 states so far that it isn't in. 44 to go.

ece1.jpg

Anybody know of Fire Master Fire Apparatus Inc. in Springfield, Missouri? They purchased this Mack from my volunteer department in 1984.  They are still in business in Springfield and Eureka, Mo.

They said they don't have records of who they bought from but they have records of who they sold to.

I understand that but they said they can't do any check because they don't have a record of where a fire engine came from.

I tried telling them I know where it came from and I want to know where it went to.

They didn't get what I am looking for.

ece1.jpg

But on a second phone call to a different person the results were a little better. I talked to someone that actually wanted to help. He asked me to send all the information I had so in an email he received everything I had.

Then I dangled the carrot on a stick to this salesman. I asked if he would be interested in assisting us with the sale should he find it. I'm hoping the little green salesman light bulb in his head was turned on with the prospect of some $$$$ dangled his way.

• Like 1

ece1.jpg

Please   we are not  hoarders but rather preservations whose sole intent is to keep old Mack Fire Apparatus from the scrap heap.    SPAAMFAA and the many thousand members have been doing this for over 40 years. If this truck is alive and well and being shown Some Spaamfaa member will see it.   Contact CANDY BENNETT at Spaamfaa as she is sect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

if this truck were alive and being shown somewhere I would have given him the info, because I would have it.  it is not.  it was either scrapped or behind some departments firehouse out west and nobody has seen it outside of that town in 25 + years.  hopefully his lead with firemaster will yield some results.

Another possibility is that someone made it into a tractor and while it is still titled and registered as a B85F the owner isn't interested in the fire history.  I have seen many B model tractors at shows with B85 emblems on the hood.  Hopefully not but this would have been a prime candidate with the coupe cab.  Good luck.  Mike. 

It was re-titled to Fire Master Fire Apparatus Inc. on 12-17-1984 in Springfield, Missouri. They still have the records but say they have no way to know where it came from. Hell, I know where it came from and have the serial number. Since it is still in their name that means it was sold outside of Missouri. In the Pre-911 days and before the computer age one state evidently didn't contact the previous state when titling a vehicle that comes into the new state. I was told because of the postal costs was why.

I've practically begged them to search to see where it was sold to. They would have to have records of their sales, which they say they do, so look after 12-17-1984 until you see a Mack engine with the VIN B85F1079 to see who bought it. Sounds simple to me. Next step is to find one of their salesmen that wants to make some quick cash and offer a finders fee. A couple hundred bucks may perk someone .

I even asked if the found it if they would broker a deal to sell it to us. That was a no go also.

I'm with FDNYTRUCKScom that it is probably sitting behind someones station or in a field, but hopefully not scrapped. It was in awesome shape when the borough sold it in 1984.

I would also think with all the photo bombing and posting in various forums, along FaceBook pages someone would have recognized it. There are several features that made it stand out and the big one was the booster reel was just in front of the rear step in what would have been the bottom compartment.

I've been calling the DMV offices in each state. That is a breeze in some and others take forever. I'm 26 states into all 50. But some states only go back so many years if a vehicle hasn't had the plates renewed in x number of years. 7, 10, 11, and 15 years in different states. Some go into an archive database. Illinois does this but it takes an act of congress and a court order to get any information.

I'll just keep digging in the mean time.

ece1.jpg

49 minutes ago, Firebuster said:

Side by side pictures sure don't add up. Now I'm scratching my head.

It is the one before the Floral Park unit  #OM461  1955 B85F  LICK CREEK #1

461 002.JPG

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That didn't come up on my phone. My power is out here. I'll try that when it comes back on.

OK! Power is back. That's it! Talked to Dennis and will email him tomorrow. WooHoooo!

Edited by Firebuster
  • Like 1

ece1.jpg

7 hours ago, grayhair said:

I exchanged emails with Dennis Meehan at Old Macks and he confirms the unit he has is indeed the long lost one you are looking for.  It is for sale.  

Contact him directly at 518-622-8164.  You are welcome.

Nicely done!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...