1969 International F210D

hurstscrambler

On 11/25/2016 at 8:23 AM, hurstscrambler said:

Thanks Paul, I got some components off the engine and was finally able to pull the trans off the engine.  I have some questions that I hope you guys can help with.  

First off the the leak the the rear of the engine appears to be the pilot bearing seal had failed and been over-greased.  I'm fairly certain the clutch is the one the truck was born with.  The input shaft has no wear that I can see.  I included some pictures.  Where should I be going for these parts, the local truck center doesn't seem to want to help me much.  How difficult is changing the input shaft seal?  I know it looks like a mess, but it really does seem like heavy grease, not gear oil or engine oil.  Andy

Never messed with the trans that you have but I would double check the parts book for it, as I have never seen a clutch brake work against the front of the trans like this one is. Normally  there is another cover that the brake rides against.

Ok, thanks for checking into that for me.  I just found out today that the old cummins paint is still available, I was initially told otherwise and just got the newer color.  I got a few more coats of paint on the engine, this time the correct color.  It's looking pretty good, hopefully I can figure out how to post pics again soon.  Andy

13 hours ago, hurstscrambler said:

This one was actually a darker red color from the factory, not sure if it was an IH thing or what?  The "old" cummins red looks to be a very close match to what was on the engine, I assume it is as correct as it gets.  The red/orange in the picture is the newer cummins "APEX" red.  Andy   

From the time of manufacturers using their colors on engines. My I.H. is a Metallic Blue and one of my Autocars was white the other Autocar has a Chalmers engine and it is Purple.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

50 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

yes the big al as it was called came in grape purple only

Every time that I mention Big Al, I get pestered to sell it to an needy Allis Chalmers club member. Signs say not for sale

http://acar4.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

my only experience with that motor   I drove  a friends truck from el paso  to  dallas  one time co white

The  25000 series had crank main journal problems, I got a 25000 reman crank a spare block and main caps from a 21000.

Ron Knaar had a 1974 Big Al /Freighliner for sale for 75 grand last June,  sold quick too.

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 8:13 PM, BillyT said:

Carloin my 69t, only a relative few of the ACs were made,how did they compare to similar rated Cummins,Cat,Mack,etc in performance,economy? I've never driven one!

The AC in my 70 Autocar is 450 h.p. at about 2000 rpm, way ahead of anything around then. Broke cranks like the early Cummins but AC didn't really stand behind them.. Biggest draw back was no dealer network. Need parts or service you had to go the an AC Heavy equipment dealer.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Wow!! It came out excellent! The White is a cool touch too.  Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks guys, everybody has been telling me the white was a bad move.  I'm trying to match the grey trucks build as much as possible, and that truck was originally Alpine White, the grey exterior was done later.  So white it is, I admit it is brighter than I was expecting.  I'm very happy with what is happening, but I wish it was going a little faster, and costing alot less $.  Does anyone have a good source for getting pot metal emblems restored?  Andy

Edited by hurstscrambler