1969 International F210D

hurstscrambler

Thanks for comments guys, I used a couple 4" strips of 26 gauge metal.  I just set them at the correct diameter with a few screws,  It worked out pretty well.  

The goal is to get the engine cleaned up and in the chassis.  I also want to get the air and fuel tanks back on the chassis before the snow flies.  Then I can do the metal work on the cab, get the glass back in and all that over the winter.  

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks, didn't get much more done this weekend, but some.  I organized all the parts and brought a load of rusty metal up to my local media blaster.  I also decided on which cab I was going to use and got it home to my shop.  I got some stuff stripped off the cab as well in preparation for media blasting.  I'm hoping to drop off the cab, doors and other BS when I pick up the first load of parts.  Andy

IMG_20161015_134441499.jpg

IMG_20161015_215411454.jpg

IMG_20161016_210327327.jpg

IMG_20161016_210319283.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot you had the cut off.  Good choice it looks solid.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hurst scrambler great  idea on the 26Gauge strips,I've used two strips of duct tape ,but it comes out to less than 3"when you stick them together.I actually have some sheet metal scraps( that my wife wants me to throw away)"My stuff,your shit" that would work! Looks like you bought the clean red one you posted earlier!

Poster board works pretty well too. The key to any of them is to get them to "stand up" like a dog's vet collar, not lie flat on the tire.

PM sent about the badges. Thanks.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Picked up some stuff from the blaster and dropped some more stuff.  I feel like this process has only just begun......  There are quite a few cracks in alot of these old parts, I hope to get some stuff welded up and start shooting some primer after work tomorrow.   

On another note, I think the 270 needs a rear main seal.  Anybody know the procedure for that?  I imagine the trans and clutch need to come out, or can it be done by pulling the pan?  Thanks, Andy

IMG_20161020_094929945.jpg

IMG_20161020_122024661.jpg

No primer yet, been welding like crazy.  The fuel tanks both had issues, had to re-weld a previous repair on one and do the same repair to another.  Both are pressure tested now.  I straightened out the bull bar and did some welding and grinding here and there. I had to modify the front bumper pan to work with the radiator and nose of the grey truck.  

IMG_20161022_184708253.jpg

IMG_20161021_170801963.jpg

IMG_20161022_185035554.jpg

IMG_20161021_093244537.jpg

The front end on the grey truck is different in many small ways, the grey trucks cab, nose and fenders are mounted about an 1.5 inches higher than accommodate the turbo on the 270, and the radiator in the grey truck is at least 2 inches thicker.  Point is that everything from the firewall forward is different, but things that unusable on the grey truck I've either been able to repair them or modify parts from the red truck to work.  The red bracket is one of the rear fender mounts, the other 2 brackets are for the front fender mounts and headlight mounts.  Andy

IMG_20161022_163351532_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161022_163449717_TOP.jpg

IMG_20161022_165928163.jpg

IMG_20161022_184045638.jpg

• Like 2

From sitting make sure it is the engine and not the trans input shaft seal. If it's the engine go to you parts supplier and see what type of seal it is. A "Rope" style or a 360 seal. Should give you the answer for just the pan and rear main cap or trans, clutch and bell.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the advice Paul, it may be a week or 2 before the engine is pulled and in the shop.  I'm definitely gonna be competing with the weather soon, we had at first overnight freeze last week.  

Im slowly getting the parts painted, a little at a time.  My buddy hasn't been in his shop, so I have been making the most of it.  

IMG_20161029_243432229.jpg

IMG_20161029_243406893.jpg

IMG_20161027_153505221.jpg

Just picked up the cab at the sandblaster, they did an exceptional job as always.  There is some rust/rot that needs to addressed obviously, but for a northeast truck I'm impressed with its condition.  I won't be tackling the work on the cab for a while, but I wanted to get it blasted and in my garage before the weather turns.  

IMG_20161030_151119765.jpg

IMG_20161030_151129434.jpg

IMG_20161030_151138278.jpg

IMG_20161030_151726088.jpg

• Like 2

The cab doesn't look bad for a snow belt unit.    Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

gotta say, I'm glad you went forward, didn't lose interest and didn't leave this truck a stripped carcass left for scrap. too many people tear into an old truck and realize they are over their head and it all ends badly and we all know the outcome. I'm happy your saving this one or at least using parts from the gray truck to make another one live again

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg