1969 International F210D

hurstscrambler

If you can do it with out removing the cab and power pack I would.  You'll be able to see more of what is possible with the winch off.     Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Truck shop,what process do you use to weld hvy truck frames? I ran a mobile welding truck in the 70s and80s only had stick and propane and acetylene for cutting. I believe the bigger shops are using mig for steel and tig  for aluminum.My main customers were excavators and refuse contractors.I use mig for sheet metal and stick for 1/8 and above in my home shop.Also do you run in California? I was googling something else and read a post that California's new emissions laws are going to put 60 percent of small trucking companies out of business!! Not to mention the new laws coming nation wide! I can picture a backdoor support of  this b.s. by the NTA, wink wink,to get rid of the big companies competition! It will get curiouser,and curiouser,I predict! The EPA is already after NASCAR and NHRA. It will be the hobby trucks next! We should maybe join SEMA like my fellow street Rodders!

Truck shop,what process do you use to weld hvy truck frames? I ran a mobile welding truck in the 70s and80s only had stick and propane and acetylene for cutting. I believe the bigger shops are using mig for steel and tig  for aluminum.My main customers were excavators and refuse contractors.I use mig for sheet metal and stick for 1/8 and above in my home shop.Also do you run in California? I was googling something else and read a post that California's new emissions laws are going to put 60 percent of small trucking companies out of business!! Not to mention the new laws coming nation wide! I can picture a backdoor support of  this b.s. by the NTA, wink wink,to get rid of the big companies competition! It will get curiouser,and curiouser,I predict! The EPA is already after NASCAR and NHRA. It will be the hobby trucks next! We should maybe join SEMA like my fellow street Rodders!

Great looking "binder" Love the long nose and their Hendrickson "brother" is there a side road you can practice on? You're empty,I'm guessing less than 20000,Put the aux. In its lowest gear,and see if you can run the main without splitting gears,see where it's governed at before you start out.Shift just below that so it doesn't lock up.It will be easier to use the clutch til you get used to it later.It should drop in around 1500,each double clutch of course.That tranny should be worn in enough to shift easily.When you hit 5th ,run thru the aux to over just like a 4 speed, downshift the same way, watch your temp gauge! I'd check the grease level in the tranny and differential before you leave,good luck!

Great looking "binder" Love the long nose and their Hendrickson "brother" is there a side road you can practice on? You're empty,I'm guessing less than 20000,Put the aux. In its lowest gear,and see if you can run the main without splitting gears,see where it's governed at before you start out.Shift just below that so it doesn't lock up.It will be easier to use the clutch til you get used to it later.It should drop in around 1500,each double clutch of course.That tranny should be worn in enough to shift easily.When you hit 5th ,run thru the aux to over just like a 4 speed, downshift the same way, watch your temp gauge! I'd check the grease level in the tranny and differential before you leave,good luck!

Yeah, it was kind of funny, the lady got out of her car and said "did the car in front of you stop short"?  I responded by saying the person in front of me stopped, I stopped, and then you didn't.... she didn't like that too much.  But everyone was alright, so it wasn't too bad, I was more worried that she was letting her little boy walk around and it was a dangerous intersection.  I'm by no means an intelligent guy, but it seemed like a bad idea to me....... Andy

On 8/21/2016 at 8:53 AM, hurstscrambler said:

Well, I had to work a couple double shifts and Saturday morning, but I finally got the stubborn winch off.  There were a couple bolts that did not want to come out, but with the fire wrench and an air hammer I got them.  I cut off the back of the frame roughly where I think it previously had ended.  I think that I want to put a pintle plate on it as well, and I would assume I need to add a crossmember at the very back of the frame.  The plan is to go over everything with the pressure washer again tomorrow morning and set the truck up on some cribbing.  Hopefully by days end the DS frame rail is out of truck, but that is probably wishful thinking.  What do you guys think, should I leave the WB length as is, or shorten it?  I'm definitely having the complete new frame rails fabricated and drilled by PG Adams and probably the crossmembers as well.  Thanks, Andy

What do you plan on using it for? That will have a lot to do with wheel base. I personally would get the rails as long as the one on the truck are, you can always move the rears forward and cut it, not easy to do the reverse.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm pretty much a traditionalist, so I would set it up to accommodate either a standard steel dump body or a fifth wheel in much the same way as most of those trucks of that era would have been set up. Lots of those were regularly swapped between a fifth wheel and a dump body. Even with the shorter wb it will still have room for the winch.

The shorter wb will be easier to store and move around as well.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Weld up the holes on the frame rail or on the accessories? No need to weld the frame rails; just mark them as not needed and make sure the vendor knows the marking system.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I did weld up the holes that were being eliminated, figured it would be less confusing that way. The frame should arrive to Adams tomorrow.  My experience with PG Adams has been very positive so far, but I'm getting a bit concerned about what the bill is gonna be.  When I was searching for this truck I found a F230D for sale that is in much better shape than mine.  If the cost of getting the new frame exceeds the cost of buying this other truck, I might have to consider it.  It was not my intention obviously, but we will see when the quotes start rolling in.  There initial quote for the frame was 7k, and the truck below, with a good frame is available for not alot more than that.  My crossmembers were also in tough shape so I went them to PG as well.  I will know more at the end of the week.  Thanks, Andy

IMG_20160426_184444136.jpg

IMG_20160426_184240603.jpg

IMG_20160426_184432527.jpg

IMG_20160426_184519668.jpg

• Like 1

We loaded the frame and and  crossmembers on my fathers moving van and he brought them to the freight yard today.  As a side project also painted my buddies samurai OD green last night at my shop, it came out pretty good for a little woods buggy.  Also have my other buddies 55 Chevy in the shop so he can use the lift, I figured I would snap a few pics as there isn't much to look at on my truck.  Thanks, Andy

IMG_20160831_172627849_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160831_053823813.jpg

IMG_20160828_183430930.jpg

IMG_20160803_193257759.jpg

• Like 2

Gearheads,If you're referring to Hurstscrambler' crash course in two stick 101, looks like he made it home! By the way I  taught myself  how to split a triplex,before any one taught me that little nugget of info,always split two handed held the wheel with my knee,couldn't figure out why I always got that little grind! Duh!Well I got my buddy a " master of the compound" a job with my employer and I was riding him to the office in the B model.After a few shifts he said pull over a..hole,and proceeded to illustrate how to split correctly!lol