1969 International F210D

hurstscrambler

I'm looking for a truck last seen on the south shore of Massachusetts a year or two ago, any information would be greatly appreciated.  I copied this posting from the posting I put on Craigslist.

WANTED- Looking for any information available about a mid to late 60s international R series. The exact year and model are not certain to me. The last information I have is that roughly 1 or 2 years ago it was sold by South shore pile driving in Marshfield, MA as a cab and chassis. Previous to that it was owned by R.E.Taylor pile driving and is likely still painted grey with a black chassis and fenders. It was purchased by Taylor around the mid eighties from Wyoming as an oil field Derrick crane or Gin pole truck. He converted it to a pile driving rig and used it up until 5 or 6 years ago. He then sold it to South Shore Pile Driving who removed the Derrick and currently still use the actual pile driving rig. I haven't seen the truck in years, but as far as I know it was an operating vehicle after the boom was removed. It is a tandem axle long wheelbase truck with some sort of Cummins diesel and a 5+4 transmission. I included a picture of a truck that is very similar to the one I am looking for. If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy. My phone # is (978) 808-9496, call text or email me at aarsenaultjr@hotmail. Thanks again.

images.jpg

Edited by hurstscrambler
  • Like 1

It is still in New England, I'm hoping to talk to the owner tomorrow.  I had been around this truck since I was about 10 years old and I worked with the owner for a summer when I was about 15.  I was bummed thinking it could be in a junk yard, but fortunately it isn't.   This truck was in service with a 30' Derrick boom on it up till about 3 years ago.  I have a question about the engine in this truck, the ID plate on the door says it it rated at 249 net HP and 270 gross HP.  Would that make it an NH-250 or NH-270, or neither?  I didn't want to open the hood without the owner there, but I'm pretty sure it has the original engine.  Thanks again, Andy

Probably the 270 Hi Torque 

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well, I got it bought.  Now I need to get it home.  It lit right off after sitting for 5 months or so.  It's about an hour and a half from my house, trouble is the only way home is very busy roads and I don't want to get stuck on the road side with an unregistered truck.  I'm gonna see if I can get a repair plate from a friend, but I don't know.  I have access to a tractor, but not a landoll.  I think I should have it towed, but maybe I'm being a wimp?  What do you guys think?  Thanks, Andy

• Like 2

Neat truck; i always liked that series of IH's. There was a time when they were everywhere in New England and were probably as popular as the B81's were.

Why not just register it with antique tags and drive it home? Sales tax, insurance, etc. will be about the same as the tow bill and you will have to register it eventually anyways.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That's true, but I would have to wait 4-6 weeks for a duplicate title to show up.  I think I m gonna borrow a friend's repair plate and hope for the best.  We will see, need to go look it over good on Saturday morning, hopefully I can drive it home as well.  I already let this thing slip through my fingers once, I don't want to do that again.

• Like 1

Very neat truck.  Congratulations.  That flatbed might come in handy sometime.  Is the winch contected to it?  I'd get a tag and drive it home as long as the brakes work.  Good luck.  Mike

what is the trans combo, i see three sticks in it.

i learned to drive on sorta the same truck, a 49 L190 single axle tractor with the big gas six cylinder and a quad box.

took my road test in it, and drove that old girl as a daily driver until i was 19, when i bought a 65 dodge W-300

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I don`t know about the state you`re in but here in va    you can buy a five dollar 72 hr permit to move a vehicle from one place to another so long as it belongs to you. you might check to see if such is do-able where you are

Congratulations on your new truck .   I love this story because you were actually able to buy the truck . Stories like this usually end with the " the owner won't sell it , because they want to save it "or they think its worth $ 30,000…….    usually 5 years later it is sitting in the same spot , just a lot rustier .  

Thanks for including us in your endeavour . Hopefully you will include us in the work you do to it .  Nice truck :thumb:

• Like 1

Keith 

It is in Kingston, MA., the man who ended up with it was a customer of the previous owner (Rudy Taylor) who passed away a month or so back.  I shared a few stories i remembered about Rudy and we had a laugh.  He was a unique guy for sure, very mechanically inclined.  The current owner said that it wasn't for sale, but he thought I should have it.  I'm giving him what he paid for it, and he seemed happy that I want to get it back on the road.  

At the moment I plan on doing an extensive service, fix some of the cab and fender rot.  It's in tough shape, I need to make sure the frame is sound as well.  Long term, from a practicality standpoint I should put a fifth wheel on it and keep it as a long wheelbase tractor with the winch, but it will probably stay as is for this year at least.  I believe the stick with the glitter shift knob is for the winch, so I believe it is a 5 + 4 trans combo.  I'm gonna have to learn quick to get it home!  Any tips for a first time twin stick driver?  

• Like 1