1969 International F210D

hurstscrambler

It is $3800 for 4 (they are double the entire length)10"x 3.5"x 27' 6" rails, made from 1/4" grade 100 steel.  Another 3k for punching 200 holes in the DS rail and 150 in the PS rail.  To me the price of the rails seems reasonable, the holes I expected to be cheaper honestly.  It is not a deal breaker, but if the crossmembers bring the total over 10k I'm gonna have to take a second look at the project.  When she was writing the initial quote she told me that they always try to quote the jobs in a "worst case" type scenario, and that typically the more detailed quote after they get a look at the parts are a bit cheaper.  Let's hope that is the case here.  On the other hand the twin stick driving doesn't seem as difficult as I was expecting, it is challenging for sure.  The truck had no weight on, no doubt that made my life easier as well.  Andy

I just got a call from PG Adams, they said producing the front "belly drop" in my frame would be very pricey, and they might not even be able to do it.  Fortunately that section of frame is in fine shape, and they can possibly set me up with pre drilled repair sections.  They are gone  take a closer look at it Tuesday and let me know.  I guess I'm in limbo for the weekend.  Andy

Gearheads,If you're referring to Hurstscrambler' crash course in two stick 101, looks like he made it home! By the way I  taught myself  how to split a triplex,before any one taught me that little nugget of info,always split two handed held the wheel with my knee,couldn't figure out why I always got that little grind! Duh!Well I got my buddy a " master of the compound" a job with my employer and I was riding him to the office in the B model.After a few shifts he said pull over a..hole,and proceeded to illustrate how to split correctly!lol

Hurst scrambler,unless I am missing something ,Would seem more practical to buy the beautiful red "binder" With the good frame and ""pirate" any parts you could use off the grey one and sell the rest to recoup what you've got in the red one,or do you feel you are too far along on the grey one and have spent too much(frame sections etc) to not continue on the grey one? Also the body may have some value.I have little knowledge of agricultural equipment ,was just wondering!Plus it has power steering !

sorry don't know what I did the other night  read page one and didn't realize it posted on page 5....guess I should use my  "readers" when doing this:wacko: looks like a whale of a project, should make a nice finished project! love seeing a o'le  binder get a new lease on life. 

• 2 weeks later...

The frame has a very small amount of spreading but I can handle that.  It has 8 brand new caps on the rear and 2 new steer tires, the steers aren't mounted yet.  There are alot of brake issues that need to be dealt with.  I'm a little bummed because it looks like my winch won't fit, but I will get over it.  The red truck has a NH-250 and the grey truck has the PT-270, any advantage to swaping in the 270?  The 270 has Jakes and the 250 does not.  

I have a mobile media blasting guy potentially coming out next Friday to do the frame, rears, bumpers and whatnot.  I should find out tomorrow weather or not that is really gonna happen.  Andy

OK.  Last time I needed rails it was really just bent stock and cut to length.  I was able to drill all the holes and didn't need cross members.  I realize you have the red truck now but maybe scout around for different cross members and check out renting a magnetic drill.  It would be cool to have the Grey Ghost live on.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a blasting guy lined up for this week, my hope is to get frame, cab, wheels done in one day.  All the bolt on stuff can be done after.  I ground out all the bondo I could find, there was alot!  There is some metal work that needs to be done but that is no problem.  The door pins on big red are like a hot dog in a hallway, but the hinges on the fire truck doors are perfect so I will be using those.  

IMG_20160925_144037775_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160925_144031373_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160925_144011551.jpg

IMG_20160925_144005838_HDR.jpg

I took the truck down the street as well in hopes that a little ride would clear up the skip the old 250 has.  It didn't help unfortunately, I changed the fuel filter and added some Lucas injector cleaner.  I also pulled the passenger side fuel tank, doors, air filter, and luberfiner.  At this point I figure the 270 is probably going to be put into the red truck.  I should probably stop being lazy and pull the cab off the frame, but as I've said before I'm not trying to build a show truck.  Thanks, Andy

IMG_20160925_144021340.jpg

IMG_20160925_141412790_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160919_171332205.jpg

• Like 2

IMO, the 270 is a better choice. Something about an International with a Cummins is like a hotdog with mayo. Both good but not together.   :)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is a funny analogy, and you gotta love 4070s (especially ones that get followed around by F-models).   I m bummed out about the grey truck.  At the end of the day it will give it's life to save another, better than being cut up for scrap I suppose.  If anyone wants the 250 I will make a BMTer a good deal on it.  It has really good oil pressure and I think the skip is probably not terminal.  Someone who knows these old cummins motors could probably get it running well.  I'd guess it is a something sticking in the pump, the skip comes and goes.  I would rather someone hear it run before pulling it out.   Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Great progress and good way to get the truck you wanted.     Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE