.Why me???

Superdog

My son picked up the red Superliner from local Mack dealer last Thurs. afternoon after spending nearly 5 weeks in shop getting a new Re-man E6-350 engine,hauled 1 load of hogs to Ottumwa,other than a fuel leak all was fine,2 loads to Beardstown Fri.,2 this Mon. On the way home Mon. day,new engine blew up. Tow it in,Tues. a.m. to dealer ,get it in shop,they started at top,found 2 bent push rods. I tried to get them to drop pan,but they pissed around waiting on new push rods,put them in basically for nothing,yesterday afternoon finally got them to pull the pan, to find a twisted rod and a bunch of shrapnel,WTF!!! Needless to say I'm beyond pissed,spent $35000 ,everything under hood new and didn't get 2000 miles!! 

You're trying to do it right and you're willing to pay up for it. But............

In the days of Mack Trucks, when we first opened the Mack Reman center in MIddletown, Pennsylvania (just east of Harrisburg), this massive and state-of-the-art facility was headed by a high caliber gentleman named Ross Rhodes. He created an incredibly professional and highly skilled team of people. He earned and held the respect of this family of people (a huge family if your will), and it showed. The quality of the Mack reman product we shipped out either directly to the dealers or for stock at our seven PDCs (parts distribution centers) was virtually perfect. In all my years at Mack, I never once heard of a reman engine fail. They were as good as a new one.

• Like 1

My dad had a new not reman signature series cummins put in his kw and it never left cummins shop it blew up on the dyno.    From what they could tell a rod bearing was put in upside down.  Quality in general is sadly a thing of the past.       image.jpg               image.jpg 

Edited by Hobert62

50 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

My dad had a new signature series cummins put in his kw and it never left cummins shop it blew up on the dyno.    From what they could tell a rod bearing was put in upside down.  Quality in general is sadly a thing of the past.  

Yup What he said  !

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

You're trying to do it right and you're willing to pay up for it. But............

In the days of Mack Trucks, when we first opened the Mack Reman center in MIddletown, Pennsylvania (just east of Harrisburg), this massive and state-of-the-art facility was headed by a high caliber gentleman named Ross Rhodes. He created an incredibly professional and highly skilled team of people. He earned and held the respect of this family of people (a huge family if your will), and it showed. The quality of the Mack reman product we shipped out either directly to the dealers or for stock at our seven PDCs (parts distribution centers) was virtually perfect. In all my years at Mack, I never once heard of a reman engine fail. They were as good as a new one.

That's exactly why I chose the re-man over overhauling a used engine and putting in it when I found out one was available. Now I'm sick. Just playing the waiting game now to see how bad I'm going to get screwed.

Sounds incredable frustrating.

A good thing about an overhaul is you're able to control the assembly.

Buying a Re-man you sure suppose to obtain the facrtory quality.

And such the case tells very loud about that quality. Too sad.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

9 hours ago, Superdog said:

My son picked up the red Superliner from local Mack dealer last Thurs. afternoon after spending nearly 5 weeks in shop getting a new Re-man E6-350 engine,hauled 1 load of hogs to Ottumwa,other than a fuel leak all was fine,2 loads to Beardstown Fri.,2 this Mon. On the way home Mon. day,new engine blew up. Tow it in,Tues. a.m. to dealer ,get it in shop,they started at top,found 2 bent push rods. I tried to get them to drop pan,but they pissed around waiting on new push rods,put them in basically for nothing,yesterday afternoon finally got them to pull the pan, to find a twisted rod and a bunch of shrapnel,WTF!!! Needless to say I'm beyond pissed,spent $35000 ,everything under hood new and didn't get 2000 miles!! 

Sorry to hear that.....I would hope the dealer would take care of you. 

10 hours ago, Superdog said:

Wow, that really stinks.  And then when you think about it, somewhere there is a manager or managers who are OK with how things are done.  My experience is that the line workers are usually putting things together properly, but if the quality of the components is poor, they're just working with what was given to them and ignoring the quality issues they are told to ignore. 

Some of the stuff that goes on at some engine plants is surprising.  I remember years ago touring the Chevy engine plant in Tonawanda, NY, when they were assembling 427 and 454 Mark IV big block engines.  A worker would install 8 piston and rod assemblies into a machine.  Then, the machine shoved all 8 of them into the block in one stoke. What I couldn't understand at first was why it took so long for the worker to hand load the 8 piston/rod assemblies into that machine.  After awhile I figured out what was happening.  The bore holes in the block were so varied in diameter that each piston/rod assembly had to be individually selected to match a particular bore hole so as to have acceptable piston to bore clearance.  No two bore holes were the same diameter within a reasonable tolerance.  So, one mistake by that man, like one oversize piston jammed into an undersized bore, and there you have the engine that would have gone into your new Corvette or truck or whatever.  Or you buy a brand new crate engine for your special project and it blows up.  I was shocked to see that process, but then maybe that's the way it is commonly done and I'm just under-informed.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superdog said:

That's exactly why I chose the re-man over overhauling a used engine and putting in it when I found out one was available. Now I'm sick. Just playing the waiting game now to see how bad I'm going to get screwed.

I'm going to be honest with you, I came to expect a (Ross Rhodes) Mack reman engine to have the same life as a new engine, because they were not rebuilt........rather, they were remanufactured. It's an entirely different concept. The Middletown reman assembly line was identical in format to the new engine line at Hagerstown. Every component utilized in the assembly of a Mack remanufactured engine was as good as new.....and sometimes new.

1 minute ago, kscarbel2 said:

I'm going to be honest with you, I came to expect a (Ross Rhodes) Mack reman engine to have the same life as a new engine, because they were not rebuilt........rather they were remanufactured. It's an entirely different concept. The Middletown reman assembly line was identical in format to the new engine line at Hagerstown. Every component utilized in the assembly of a Mack remanufactured engine was as good as new.....and sometimes new.

That's what I expected too,I've never know a Mack re-man to fail. That's why I put my trust in Mack. I guess thats what I get for constantly living in the past instead of accepting the way things are . My son wanted to repower with Cummins,guess I should have listened. 

If you know someone left high up with real Mack blood in their veins that I could talk to about this,I'd appreciate it,because I truly feel I'm going to get little satisfaction from my dealer.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

I hope you have no other problems. That can turn off the best of customers. I have a issue with a local Hardees in my area, waiting on them to call me back. It seems we have too many issues with our daily lives.

My wife told me with Ford she thought I was going to have a stroke, I was so mad I couldn't even drive to the dealer.  I lost 4 months use and 7  accounts with my 477 and I cannot even begin to imaging the time and money  Superdog  is looking at. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE