Had some spare parts............

66dc75

When I had to re-create the rear fenders for a 72 IH fire truck that were a similar shape I made a plywood form and then bent the metal around that while securing it with clamps to hold the shape. I used 12 ga so it was heavy enough to hold the shape without buckling and was easy to weld.

Instead of pop riveting to hold it I'd try tacking it so you can stretch the metal around while heating it to get it to conform. Just my $.02.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

4 hours ago, fxfymn said:

When I had to re-create the rear fenders for a 72 IH fire truck that were a similar shape I made a plywood form and then bent the metal around that while securing it with clamps to hold the shape. I used 12 ga so it was heavy enough to hold the shape without buckling and was easy to weld.

Instead of pop riveting to hold it I'd try tacking it so you can stretch the metal around while heating it to get it to conform. Just my $.02.

Actually that's pretty much the way I'm doing this. I'm going to pull the tek screws out as I tack weld. Ive got a plywood pattern to get the other side the same and to use to drill mounting holes in the bed sides

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

LOL everything is easier on you tube or TV, I think they cut out all the swear words, interruptions and thinking time LOL

Looking good 

Paul

Perfect example on youtube.   There is a crazy Aussie that took a rusted out R model and in no time it turned into a great looking truck! It was even his first time using a mig welder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i think they cut out the beer drinking, the staring, the imagining in your head out on the discovery channel to... least that's how most of my projects go. work 3 hours, drink a beer every hour, then 2 beers, stop workin, stare at it, 2 more beers, ah well, well get the the rest tomorrow.....

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

12 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

i think they cut out the beer drinking, the staring, the imagining in your head out on the discovery channel to... least that's how most of my projects go. work 3 hours, drink a beer every hour, then 2 beers, stop workin, stare at it, 2 more beers, ah well, well get the the rest tomorrow.....

When I built my house a friend who had just finished his gave me this advice "Leave one stump so you can go sit on it and worry and drink beer. And buy a cheap skill saw, tape the switch on,  plug it in every morning so that it screams so loud you can't hear your wife complain." I already had the beer part down.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...