Rosenbauer- 4WD

Red Horse

We have 2 Rosenbauers here in our township, both have been in the shop many times, The 2009 Bryn Mawr Ladder more than  2010 Radnor Ladder. Bryn Mawr just put their truck up for sale. My guess they will be buying an E one to replace it. Our 2010 (the next one built on the same line) used a Spartan Cab, which was fine until 2 months ago when it burned the entire wiring harness. $27,000 and 2 months later we get it back.  I doubt it will ever be right again. Can you say Quality is job 1?

This truck was ordered and we were told they would make the engine and trans work for our district (adjust the shifting etc.) . We replaced a 1993 One Ladder, it weighed in at 52000 GVW with a 500 HP 8V92, The Rosenbauer weighs in at 73,500 with a 500 HP cummins ISX.

What a dog- goes just 22MPH up our longest hill in our response area versus 38MPH for the E one.

I don't think they will sell another Rosenbauer in this area for awhile.

Edited by Firemack

I don't think they will sell another Rosenbauer in this area for awhile

Since I retired I just don't keep up on the various machinations of the builders. Last I heard E-One was on the brink of bankruptcy with many of their big dealers either folding or dropping them to rep other builders. I guess they turned it around? E-One used to own Northern Virginia, now I don't think they have had a delivery here in the last decade. Fairfax went from 100% E-One to 100% Pierce with over 100 Pierce delivery's in the last 15 years. Locally I see a lot of Pierces with a very few other brands scattered in. 

Ah, don't we wish Mack would get back in the game!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

2 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Since I retired I just don't keep up on the various machinations of the builders. Last I heard E-One was on the brink of bankruptcy with many of their big dealers either folding or dropping them to rep other builders. I guess they turned it around? E-One used to own Northern Virginia, now I don't think they have had a delivery here in the last decade. Fairfax went from 100% E-One to 100% Pierce with over 100 Pierce delivery's in the last 15 years. Locally I see a lot of Pierces with a very few other brands scattered in. 

Ah, don't we wish Mack would get back in the game!

I pass the E-One factory often in Ocala Florida where my family has a horse farm.  10 years ago the yard was empty.  Barely looked like they were working on anything.  Now its full.  The City of Boston just placed an order for 23 E-One pumpers.  Photo credit to the Greenwood Emergency Vehicles Dealer website.

BostonMAPumper_2017.jpg

Edited by General Ike
  • Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Very nice. Never thought I'd see the day that a BFD rig had an EMS compartment. Glad that at least one builder can still deliver a rig that isn't the size of a freight car.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, fxfymn said:

. Last I heard E-One was on the brink of bankruptcy

Carl,

I wish I had a dime for every time I heard that Pierce, E-One or Seagrave was "in financial trouble." Right now the grapevine has Seagrave as terminal, on life support with a DNR order. This is the 5th or 6th time in the last 15 years this rumor has been generated. Yet Seagrave is delivering truck after truck..........

And if you are not aware, E-One was purchased a little less than a year ago by the REV Group, who also owns KME and just recently (within the last 3 weeks) the purchased Ferrara. And yes, as General Ike says, E-One has plenty of work and isn't going anywhere.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 4/26/2017 at 0:03 PM, bulldogboy said:

Bolton, MA has received its 2016 Rosenbauer "Commander" 1500/750/30A, 4X4 pumper. This new Engine 5 replaces the 1981 Mack "R"/Moody pumper. Another Mack and one of the last surviving

Moody fire trucks rides off to that big fire station in the sky.

bulldogboy

Someone told me the other day it is back at Greenwood-"electrical issues"

Every builder seems to live on the financial edge. The only major builders that are still in business from when I started in the fire service are Seagrave and Pierce. A few like Quality and Ferrara were around then, but they were pretty much regional builders. Who's gone: Mack, ALF, Ward LF, Maxim, Pirsch, Hahn, Crown, 3-D, Buffalo, American and Imperial come to mind.

As I said I just don't keep up on what the builders are up to. Glad to hear E-One is back after being bought out. 

50 minutes ago, fxfymn said:

Every builder seems to live on the financial edge. The only major builders that are still in business from when I started in the fire service are Seagrave and Pierce. A few like Quality and Ferrara were around then, but they were pretty much regional builders. Who's gone: Mack, ALF, Ward LF, Maxim, Pirsch, Hahn, Crown, 3-D, Buffalo, American and Imperial come to mind.

As I said I just don't keep up on what the builders are up to. Glad to hear E-One is back after being bought out. 

I agree with fxfymn most of the ones from my beginnings are gone. Being partial to Mack’s, even if they came back it wouldn’t be the same. Having operated pieces from some of the manufacturers (MACK, Pirsch, Hahn, and Young) fxfymn mentioned it is good to remanence. I liked the large gauges the on Imperials FAFX had. At first I wasn’t a fan of the Pirsch 100’ twist-o-flex ladder as it would blow in the wind.  Gone but not forgotten, they give old guys something to talk about. In earlier days each manufacturer had a distinct look/style. Not the cracker box look of today---however NFPA 1901 has made it much safer for all FF’s. Innovation is a good thing!

And I forgot Oren, Howe, Grumman, Hammerly, John Bean, and Young. Others like Ahrens-Fox disappeared before I started in the fire service.

I agree 1901 has made it safer, but I'll never agree with the mandate to make them ugly as well as safe.

When I was a kid in the early 1950s I remember all the Ahrens-Foxes that my city's fire department operated. Then there were the Mack "L" and "B" models when I started my career. When I started on the

fire department, Pierce was a small, mid-western company that built on commercial chassis. In the early 1980s there were only a few Pierces in this area, one on a '70s Chevrolet chassis in Tyngsborough, MA

and two '80s Ford "C" model chassis in Litchfield, NH. Other departments mostly used Farrars, Moodys, and a few Maynards. How times have changed!!

Red Horse: Don't feel too bad about your Rosenbauer; seems like most of the new Pierces around here spend time in the mechanics' shop or at the dealer before all the bugs are worked out. Just the way it is today.

bulldogboy

10 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

When I was a kid in the early 1950s I remember all the Ahrens-Foxes that my city's fire department operated. Then there were the Mack "L" and "B" models when I started my career. When I started on the

fire department, Pierce was a small, mid-western company that built on commercial chassis. In the early 1980s there were only a few Pierces in this area, one on a '70s Chevrolet chassis in Tyngsborough, MA

and two '80s Ford "C" model chassis in Litchfield, NH. Other departments mostly used Farrars, Moodys, and a few Maynards. How times have changed!!

Red Horse: Don't feel too bad about your Rosenbauer; seems like most of the new Pierces around here spend time in the mechanics' shop or at the dealer before all the bugs are worked out. Just the way it is today.

bulldogboy

I hear yah-and its back now.  Talked to one of the call guys the other day and he agrees the 4 WD is only going to let some guys think they can go anywhere