Scania in Connecticut in 78

Leonardo Favaro

Hi guys, i'm new member here and i finded your forum searching for Scanias in US, i have a lot of material from 85 and 92 but now i'm searching for a few test units in 60's and 70's, this photo i have posted belongs to Richard Stanier and its from 1978 in Connecticut, but a friend told me he saw a photo of a Scania being tested in 60's, he saw this photo at Double Clutch Magazine, anyone know anything about it?

Thanks.

Richard Stanier (2).jpg

SAAB Scania had a corporate office in Milford Conn. and a large parts distribution warehouse in Meriden/Wallingford .  Kouguts  bought 3 tri-axle new Westchester freight lines bought 25 tractors they all burned or crashed B.A.C. bought 4 cab chassis.

Ed

Gay's Express in Vermont had a couple of Scania trucks.  They got bought out by Holmes.  There was a picture in the Double Clutch which I can find in a little bit.

Guy Wilson Trucking in the Rutland, VT area also ran Scania trucks into the early 90's.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

A landscaper in Glen Cove N.Y. has a pair of R400 MACKS with factory Scania Diesels, seemed to be dependable power packs.  MACK and Scania had a agreement than I believe.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hello everyone, Leonardo and I do big research about Scania in the USA. I guess we have spent together some 10,000 hours in that.

Here is list of U.S. companies that used Scanias before 1980s , i will write about them, because someone might more easily remember one of companies or trucks.

-Hartman Express used straight Scania trucks too ( one guy told me those were ex. Holmes trucks)

-Gay's Express in Bellows Falls VT, had them ( from j hancock photo)

-Schiavone Scrap in Connecticut had both L series ( from first post ) but also LB111 ( cabover)

-One company from Connecticut had 4x LB81 distribution trucks in 1978

As far I could find out, the exact number of L81, LB81, L111, and LB111 trucks sent to U.S. is unknown.

Scania and Volvo were pretty popular in the Newark,New jersey area with dump truck operators in the up to the 1980's as a good portion of the operators were from Portugal and Brazil.

Joe, a lot of these Scania trucks are still in operation around Newark, I see a few every time I go to the port.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, harrybarbon said:

Leonardo

You have same surname as my mum, there not many Favaro's are you related to the Favaro's from Rhode Island and where did you folks come from?

Harry

Wow, thats really interesting to know, i'm from Brazil but Favaro family have italian descent, but originally in italy is writed Favero.

When I was a young man my Boss had a R-400 dump with a backward shifting quad box and a small Scania diesel, I drove it for 2 years, if horsepower was dynamite that thing could not blow it's nose... great on fuel used about 30 gallons a day.. it was a lot nicer when they upgraded to the DM-800's with the 250's he wanted me to pay him when he bought me the new truck...

Hi Leonardo

Thank you. My mum's family go back approx 200 years in the same village and the name was always spelt as Favaro, but who knows names have been changed over the years.

We did have cousins in Rhode Island name same as yours, sadly most are no longer with us, but mayde some younger ones hanging around, welcome to the Big Mack site.

Harry

• Like 1

On 3/26/2016 at 9:00 PM, Leonardo Favaro said:

Yeah people from Abreu Truck Service. They also rebuilded one T113 dump and putted a V8 engine. (Photos of before and after of truck)

EnglishTown Diesel Nationals (31).jpg

That yellow tractor bears a striking resemblance to a Volvo VT880..... or am I crazy???

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:24 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

That yellow tractor bears a striking resemblance to a Volvo VT880..... or am I crazy???

As they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Volvo has long attempted to reach the same heights as Scania, and one can't blame them for trying.

• Like 2