Scania in Connecticut in 78

Leonardo Favaro

B.A.C had 1-ten wheeler and three tri-axles Scanias now just 10 wheeler and flat bed tri axle the Superliner tri-axel was sold to local foundation guy he painted red and took off lift axle. They still have one Superliner tractor for a yard tractor in good shape has a blown rear end now for a couple years. Roger Chapman past away several months ago his son took over but not the same what Im told by employees they landed a big job by the Bass pro shop in Bridgeport CT where they are using there 70's DM-600 steel nose quad box winch tractor on site moving piling they only have one driver but pay for two.

Ed

On 3/31/2016 at 9:24 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

That yellow wrecker bears a striking resemblance to a Volvo VT880..... or am I crazy???

I wouldn't knock a Scania. They are a pretty tuff jigger and do run rings around a lot of other better known brands and as Kevin says, Volvo ain't ever gonna be a Scania although he is much better with words than me 

Paul

The DM-400's Gulf ran had a 673-non turbo, Clark tran's to keep under 45 mph- 44 rears no ignition switch 20ft delivery hose 6-500 gal compartments steel tank been on several chassis steel nose and a trip switch on drive shaft we spiffed up a couple them in CONN. what a test drive

Ed

• 5 months later...

Interesting photos and posts on the Scanias! I don't recall any of those trucks in the Pittsburgh area in the 70s or 80s perhaps it is the proximity to the east coast ports that helped their popularity  at that time.They seem too have a squared off modern look almost like a Volvo car or a child's tonka toy! How did they compare in price and warranty to a similarly spec'd mack?

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys!

Found your very interesting thread by instance. If I may introduce myself, my name is Flo, I am from Germany and I am a huge Scania fan since I can remember ... and I am a child of the late 70s ;-)

I alreday travelled twice to the Swedish "Mekka" called Södertälje and visited the factory.

I am also very interested in Scania's history in the US back then. As far as I know Scania started their official launch on the US market in 1985 and pulled back in 1992, after just around 900 trucks had been sold, mainly in the Eastcoast states. Is that almost correct?

What would interest me:

1) Which models have been on sale ecactly? What I so far found was:

P112/T112 4x2 rigid and tractor head, P112/T112 6x4 rigid and tractor head, R112/R142/T142 6x4 tractor head, P112/T112/T142 8x4 rigid. Any missed out?

Which 3-series models were offered?

2) Have there been also some all-wheel drive models (like P112 4x4 or 6x6) been offered?

3) Have there also been some smaller models of the 92 type / 93 type been on offer (with which axle configuration and engine)?

4) Which cabs have been on offer? From the photos that I saw so far the short P-cab (CP13), the long P-cab (CP19), the short T-cab (CT13), the long T-cab (CT19) and the long R-cab (CR19). Also the short R-cab (CR13) was offered? During the 3-series also the higher roof cab (Topline) and/or the aerodynamic Streamline cab (introduced 1991) was offered?

5) Have some COE models also been with step-forward front axles?

6) How did the Scanias compete with the local trucks in terms of fuel consumption etc.?

7) The 8x4 models with 3 rear axles .... did they come like that from the factory or has one axle (the 2nd one) been added locally?

8) Which chassis type was offered? Only the M and H? Or also the extra heavy duty E chassis?

9) So far I only saw photos of truck with single reduction rear axles ... any models with hub reduction axles (like they were standard for the E-chassis) had been on offer?

10) The trucks for the US market came from Sweden (not from the Brazilian factory), right?

11) Have there been any 4series models been available (coming from Mexican factory for example) even if that was active only after Scania's pull out in 1992?

12) Have seen photos of older 1960s and 1970s trucks .... did not know till now that Scania was active in the US before 1985 .... which models have been offered earlier? L55, LB81, L110, LB110 etc.? Anythingvrougly knpwn about the sales volume of these?

Ok, time to stop now .... already too many questions ;-)

Would be glad to know more .... and photos are always welcome :)

Cheers

Flo

37 minutes ago, Griffin 1891 said:

Hey Guys!

Found your very interesting thread by instance. If I may introduce myself, my name is Flo, I am from Germany and I am a huge Scania fan since I can remember ... and I am a child of the late 70s ;-)

I alreday travelled twice to the Swedish "Mekka" called Södertälje and visited the factory.

I am also very interested in Scania's history in the US back then. As far as I know Scania started their official launch on the US market in 1985 and pulled back in 1992, after just around 900 trucks had been sold, mainly in the Eastcoast states. Is that almost correct?

Cheers

Flo

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30165-when-scania-trucks-roamed-north-america/?tab=comments#comment-167688

On 3/29/2016 at 4:17 PM, Leonardo Favaro said:

Wow, thats really interesting to know, i'm from Brazil but Favaro family have italian descent, but originally in italy is writed Favero.

Welcome on board Leonardo. I have travelled to Brazil a few times and was fascinated with the trucks. I noticed that Scanias and Mercedes are well respected there. Lots of old ones still working. Only saw a few American heavies such as Internationals but many medium/heavy Brazilian Fords.

Regarding Scanias in the U.S. I still see a heavy Scania conventional dump truck still working in Mount Vernon NY. I wouldn't be surprised if it is owned by a Brazilians because Mount Vernon has a large Brazilian community, and as mentioned before Brazilian truckers have a lot of respect fro Scanias.