Buffalo Springfield

bulldogboy

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Totally FASCINATING! I can now see why my dad decided to work on Steam Locomotives with L&N RailRoad as a Fireman. He used to take me to Centennial Park and show me all about how to run one of the big steam locomotives. We have here in Nashville a  4-8-4 that has sat since they built a spur in 1952. I always thought it needed to be under the shed at Union Station. But none of the politicians here has figured it out or don't care. 

This is the remains of LIRR engine 35 the last steamer used. My uncle was the engineer and took it on it's last run. It was complete in a museum and the Oyster Bay R.R. Museum got it to "restore as operational". It was disassembled 15 years ago and there it sits 1/4 mile from the salt water. The politicians are busy fighting over funding, who gets credit and about volunteers or professions from the LIRR restoring it.  Soon it will be junked I suppose.   Paul

LIRRengine35a.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

This is the remains of LIRR engine 35 the last steamer used. My uncle was the engineer and took it on it's last run. It was complete in a museum and the Oyster Bay R.R. Museum got it to "restore as operational". It was disassembled 15 years ago and there it sits 1/4 mile from the salt water. The politicians are busy fighting over funding, who gets credit and about volunteers or professions from the LIRR restoring it.  Soon it will be junked I suppose.   Paul

LIRRengine35a.jpg

Man........I hate to see that. People just don't care. Maybe you could spark some interest with another steam society, maybe from another state? Is the cab and other parts there?

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Man........I hate to see that. People just don't care. Maybe you could spark some interest with another steam society, maybe from another state? Is the cab and other parts there?

It was brought in complete and operational from the LIRR Museum in Riverhead. The work needed when it arrived was the drive wheels needed to be spray welded and remachined and the lighting fixed. The boiler was even newly certified for medium pressure excursion use. 15 years A "train expert" and a group of volunteers took it apart to refinish it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

Do you think there is some enthusiast that may pick up on someday possible restoration?

Last mention was raising big money (six digits) to send it to Steam Town for restoration. I see it slowly disappearing.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I can see turning down a 4-8-4 or something huge, but that is a perfect size. In Cowan, TN there were some folks that restored a small engine and used it to pick up their mail down their long driveway. If I recall, it was a 2-4-0 we call a very small engine. It sits by the Depot and R/R tracks as a tourist attraction for kids. This town was a R/R town because they had pusher engines sitting to help trains over Monteagle Mt. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I can see turning down a 4-8-4 or something huge, but that is a perfect size. In Cowan, TN there were some folks that restored a small engine and used it to pick up their mail down their long driveway. If I recall, it was a 2-4-0 we call a very small engine. It sits by the Depot and R/R tracks as a tourist attraction for kids. This town was a R/R town because they had pusher engines sitting to help trains over Monteagle Mt. 

Oyster Bay was the end of the line with a double track and a turn table to reverse the engines for the return trip. It had a spur to Jakobsons Ship Yard, a spur to the Lumber Yard and a spur the the factory that built diners from the 1930's to the early 1960s. Besides the turn table there was two coal silos and a few box and flat cars stored,  it's all empty now. They had big plans for the rail museum never happened , no money not many volunteers,  the ship yard that built Moran Tugs, it was all removed to make a sailing school and a rowing club, both went bust. One of the few companies left that custom made sails was after 100 years was pushed out so the lofts could be made into a skating rink/ school, that lasted 6 months.  It had 5 car dealerships, 4 auto parts stores 2 hardware stores, 8 gas stations, a feed store a butcher shop and a fish monger....all pushed out to make the town an artsy place, now it's mostly empty buildings. The planers never took into account it's the end of a highway, the end of the rail line and people only came there for family or because they were lost.  A shame  becaus when I was in Vietnam I couldn't wait to come back there, by 1980 we couldn't wait to leave.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

This thread has gone off the rails so to speak but there was mention of Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA. It is an interesting place to visit.

This ALCO, 4-8-8-4, "Big Boy" locomotive is on display at Steamtown. It is the largest locomotive that I have ever seen.

bulldogboy

DSCF0486.JPG

1946 Ad.      1950  Suburban Pinion Drive  Roller for driveways and sidewalks.

http://194620K-s20ad_zpszv6qnufn.jpg

buff%20springfield%20baby%20roller_zpskz

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

23 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

Paul. what am I looking at on the steam roller at the bottom of page 1, is that a air operated grade bar and scarffer attached to the rear with gauge wheels?

TJC is correct. It is an adjustable ripper-grader to break and grade it level it before paving. Mainly when you're going from tar and stone to macadam. Notice they are adjustable to do the crown.    Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

On June 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Phase 1 said:

When I was younger they were commonly still called steamrollers. I think you would even hear that today from some people.

Reminds me of my mom... she calls excavators "steam shovels"... and she's only 63!

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...