MP8 Horsepower ratings

Keffer inc

What I was told; 08 thru 10 were 485; when they changed to new scr engines they bumped hp to 505; don't think you can make a 485 to a 505 because of model yr

also if your dealer charges what mine wanted too; for changing 425 to 485; you'll find another truck spec 'ed the way you want it

7 hours ago, Keffer inc said:

Oh ok. I never paid attention to the year difference. Also, which ones are better, the 08-11 or newer ones with DEF fluid? 

That's a hard question to answer;

I guess 12 & up; they have just the nozzle for 7th injector; (newer style)

But they have injector problems; even though they have the stainless steel injector cups

08-09 had problems with injector cup issues (copper); then they went to stainless steel; also the seats are different where injector seats; not interchangable

real good long test drives are important; if injector is acting up it will have hesitate in throttle; or stumble up around 1400 rpm; should be a good smooth even pedal all through rpm; I've learned the hard way; I would also figure on pulling dpf & cleaning

They also develop as a vibration, or hard start from combustion gas in the fuel system. The SCR units (US10) are a bit more reliable in my experience due to reduced egr flow and less strain.

You'd have to contact Mack about a horsepower change on the newer MP8s. As I understand, it is a very significant process in most cases and I've yet to hear of someone doing it - the cost was prohibitive.

Consider the gearing if you opt for a 485 for your application. It may be easier to change final drive ratios or transmission to get what you want.

Not a lot of info to go off bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk