Mack 18 Speed

Swishy

OK

Trouble in the camp

1998 Mack Ch 18 speed Mack cog box

@ times wont change from hi to low in the range change (up/down on the stick)

wot we need to fix?

is there a kit available?

is it a case of Piston cylinder and a few 'O'rings?

how hard is it to fit all the 'O' rings?

How long will I take?

dose it need sum lube in the cylinder?

have already tied using castor Oil

Thanx in Advance

Give till it hurtz

LOL

cya

§wishy

i may be wrong but we had a 98 ch with the mack 18 speed in it and had the same problem...seems they had problem with bearings in them...mack called it a silent recall they only fixed them as needed  we had two of them that had problems with the mack 18 speed that year...after we had it repaired they worked great .. but there  were times when it shifted fine ..and then it wouldnt shift at all..or would grind real bad between low and high....also have you checked the valve on the stick  seen those go bad too

Edited by mrgumby

• 9 months later...

You have a synchronizer issue. The older versions have low range side of synchronizer with insufficient tooth engagement and improper shifting will cause the tooth to round off and eventually you will not be able to reengage lo side. The whole synchronizer will need to be replaced. The new kits that have been released in 2010 use higher grade steel (4320H) and also increased dove/taper that will decrease the possibility. of this happening

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

mine is doing the same thing 94 CLR 454 VMAC it is a 18 speed T2180  and the shifter ( when moving from low to high you can hear engage) but the box remains in neutral... I hate to think it is what KT engineer is saying, any other diagnostics to rule out everything else?

Without a book for this I don't know what the air solenoid is moving ?