Old Pittsburgh Company

James J, the first big truck I ever rode in was a B&P Brockway 358 I think ,my ,buddy drove for them, we took a load of sheets to Chicago, 1968, a year later I was running team with an an Allied Van Lines contractor in a "crackerbox Jimmy" what a small world!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

220, you're blowing my mind! Two buddies of mine went to school with Jimmy Ali who hauled precast concrete "slab" for his dad D.Ali, with a conventional Brockway out of Bridgeville Pa!.Remember the old stone tavern in the west end, well one of those two was killed when he ran into it one night, they were twin brothers. Bruce and Craig. Ed W Texter ran green B models but some may have been red! Some were gas burners.His terminal was on the north side. Do you work for mack on Beaver Ave? Was the only Mack dealer in Pittsburgh when I lived there! The first big truck I rode in was a B and P Brockway! We hauled a load of steel sheets to Chicago. Was a 220 Cummins with an Eaton 3 speed "bogie" remember them? The driver also drove for Texter! I remember Silhol lumber weren't they on the end of Painters run rd by 50? I was in 249 for several years, drove for A T I out of the railhead  at Rook Station also New Car Carriers out of the same location when they bought AT I! Lake Shore and B and P were both based on Rt 51 near each other. I also hauled steel for JV McNicolas out of their West Mifflin terminal on Rt 51 by Eatn Park! We loaded a lot out of Homestead Works, I'll bet you are familiar with where Mifflin Road dead ended down in Hays and the drivers used to take the turn too fast and drop their coils in the used car lot there! The owner used to put his oldest cars in the front so he would get more money for them than they were worth! Lol! That H model your dad owned was set up to haul some weight! The single axle with a three on the trailer was fairly common before deregulation! There used to be a guy on rte 51 on the Ohio.line had a single axle Chevy gas job with 3 9s on the trailer, obviously ran Ohio which was an axle state,hauled the big coils! Didn't Schaefer have the slag contract out of Homestead Works? I recall his Autocar dump trucks in an out of there a lot! Lot of memories huh?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, BillyT said:

220, you're blowing my mind! Two buddies of mine went to school with Jimmy Ali who hauled precast concrete "slab" for his dad D.Ali, with a conventional Brockway out of Bridgeville Pa!.Remember the old stone tavern in the west end, well one of those two was killed when he ran into it one night, they were twin brothers. Bruce and Craig. Ed W Texter ran green B models but some may have been red! Some were gas burners.His terminal was on the north side. Do you work for mack on Beaver Ave? Was the only Mack dealer in Pittsburgh when I lived there! The first big truck I rode in was a B and P Brockway! We hauled a load of steel sheets to Chicago. Was a 220 Cummins with an Eaton 3 speed "bogie" remember them? The driver also drove for Texter! I remember Silhol lumber weren't they on the end of Painters run rd by 50? I was in 249 for several years, drove for A T I out of the railhead  at Rook Station also New Car Carriers out of the same location when they bought AT I! Lake Shore and B and P were both based on Rt 51 near each other. I also hauled steel for JV McNicolas out of their West Mifflin terminal on Rt 51 by Eatn Park! We loaded a lot out of Homestead Works, I'll bet you are familiar with where Mifflin Road dead ended down in Hays and the drivers used to take the turn too fast and drop their coils in the used car lot there! The owner used to put his oldest cars in the front so he would get more money for them than they were worth! Lol! That H model your dad owned was set up to haul some weight! The single axle with a three on the trailer was fairly common before deregulation! There used to be a guy on rte 51 on the Ohio.line had a single axle Chevy gas job with 3 9s on the trailer, obviously ran Ohio which was an axle state,hauled the big coils! Didn't Schaefer have the slag contract out of Homestead Works? I recall his Autocar dump trucks in an out of there a lot! Lot of memories huh?

Wish there were more pictures of the PA Steel haulers with the 3 axle 32Ft trailers and a big coil. See very few??

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dad and I were sitting by the wood stove in the shop last weekend BS ing about old trucks and trucking companies that are no more. He always remembers the two-tone green green EAZOR Macks and some of the other freight companies. He worked in the HUMBLE OIL grease plant in Pittsburgh and talked of the bulk oil tank trucks that would come, Matlack, Coastal, Leman Chemical. 

Dad was telling me of a small fleet of dump trucks that were "eye catchers". He thinks they were B models, painted red or maroon & black. They hauled coal in the Elizabeth, Pa. area in the 1960's. Rathway was the name on the door. Do any of you western Pa. guys or gals know or remember of those trucks? 

these "remember when" topics really get the brain cells going. the east coast had it's share of regional fleets:Lombard, Wilson, St. Johnsbury and an endless list of time gone by. when the topic starts with Matlack,Chemical Leman, and other major fleets no longer  times have changed. being an ole Bast---- like i am LOL the gone to memory fleets list gets longer. was a major deal in the day to see the fancy yellow Monfort fleet fly through CT. don't know if they still run or not.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, mechohaulic said:

these "remember when" topics really get the brain cells going. the east coast had it's share of regional fleets:Lombard, Wilson, St. Johnsbury and an endless list of time gone by. when the topic starts with Matlack,Chemical Leman, and other major fleets no longer  times have changed. being an ole Bast---- like i am LOL the gone to memory fleets list gets longer. was a major deal in the day to see the fancy yellow Monfort fleet fly through CT. don't know if they still run or not.

Yeah. They called Monfort trucks,"monfort circus wagons" 

• Like 1