Mack E6-350 with Intercooler to Tip turbine set up

harrybarbon

We have converted an E6-350 HP 2 Valve Turbo Econodyne engine with Intercooler in front of the radiator - ( it came out of an R686 )- to a Tip Turbine with Turbo set up - same set up as the the 285 HP Tip Turbine/Turbo motor in the attached picture.

We have fitted the converted E6 into a B model.

Have any Mack owners made this conversion and/or know what performance/power the converted 350 produces with the Tip Turbine set up?

Our converted E6post-15633-0-64341900-1454228900_thumb.jpost-15633-0-64341900-1454228900_thumb.j motor has the Mack 1070 - 10 speed overdrive gear box that came with the E6 motor and we have 4.17 rears on R11/ 22.5 wheels.

• Like 1

I purchased a new R model in 1980 with the 350 and RR 8LL. What a great engine. To my knowledge, the 350 w/tip turbine used the "split" cooler/heat-exchanger which utilized 60% air 40% water for cooling. The 300 and 300 "Plus" utilized 100% air from the tip turbine for the charge air cooling. I always dreamed of re-powering a B Model with a 350..! Keep us posted with pictures of your project..!

• Like 1

"If it ain't got a motor, I ain't interested.!!"

I have no data to back this up but I'm thinking a tip turbine setup wouldn't cool as well as a front mounted intercooler. I'd also think you'd loose a little boost to spin the turbine. I don't think either one of these issues would be a deal breaker.

As has already been mentioned, watch your EGT due to the statements mentioned above.

I dunno how much difference inter coolers really make a good friend if mine years ago had 320 coolpower and the air cleaner for the tip turbine got completely choked and he never really noticed any difference at the end of the week when he went to clean it out was the first he new he couldnt pull the air cleaner element out !!!

When we are hauling sugar and cutting green the normal style intercoolers that sit front of the radiator get blocked between the radiator and intercooler the first you ever notice is when the temp gauge climbs I never noticed any change in performance so I dunno how much all this stuff really matters in the real world

Paul

• 1 year later...