The "Factory Branches" of Mack Trucks, Inc.

Another view: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.965531,-93.201109,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s116394108!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2FkjJgOsc3rETpyTE4ghk-P5tOjY9GZGuxWBkOH0YBZxgq1zHFaMdsTT-tBMBOnoOr3pX5X6Ed27GOR9617nnA2wn9lqblxYU%3Dw208-h100!7i3502!8i1678

The dealership moved to a new facility a couple miles away in the early 70s. The parking lot on the left used to be a great bar and grille, was our Teamster Union hangout back when one of the Business Agent's wife worked there.

Kscarbel What year is your list from ? I am from Northeastern,Penna. and only know the current location of Mack Trucks in Scranton,Penna. on Green Ridge Street. It was owned by the Talarico Family from at least early 1950's Mickey and larkie. Then the sons took it over and is now run by Triple Cities Mack (Cook Brothers).I am just curious of when it was a factrory branch. thank you Joe D.

Kscarbel What year is your list from ? I am from Northeastern,Penna. and only know the current location of Mack Trucks in Scranton,Penna. on Green Ridge Street. It was owned by the Talarico Family from at least early 1950's Mickey and larkie. Then the sons took it over and is now run by Triple Cities Mack (Cook Brothers).I am just curious of when it was a factrory branch. thank you Joe D.

I think it is early 1930's. Most of the branches in NYC and Long Island closed around WWII or before.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice that they left it alone. Milwaukee Mack has the same look to it.It was on the list as a FB back in the day,also. Very cool. Thanks for posting. Alpost-510-0-57760400-1455132611.gif

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

What Mack location is in Boston or Lowell Ma,

I remember going to the Allston Branch in the late fifties with my Dad to get parts for his friend's B model. Probably 57, 58, or 59. I know it was before the Turnpike extension was done.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The list below is a compilation of all the factory branches in the history of Mack Trucks (I need to grab my 1980s directory to add a few).

The largest of the branches were operated into the 1980s and 1990s, and you know many of them.......Allentown, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Maspeth (Queens), Chicago, ect.

I had long been told that the IRS changed tax rules in the 1980s which made their ownership considerably more expensive.

Back in the 1974-75 era before I was able to drive my Dad took me to the Factory Branch in Oklahoma City to look at the trucks, I was a big Mack fan at a early age. I got this Mack Truck hat with the red white and blue patch on the front of it while I was there, they must have had 30 or 40 boxes of hats lined up against the wall. They probably sold hundreds of them a day , because I saw a lot of people wearing them every day. Just a good memory of mine from the old days!

Was the branch on Bluegrass Road in Philly (Industrial park off of Roosevelt Blvd & Grant Avenue, near Northeast Airport) a factory branch or independent? I remember them to be strictly Mack, but it was a loooooong time ago and I was knee high to my father. The guys there at the parts counter were always giving me posters, brochures, hats and keychains.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Joe, Scranton is one that goes back a long ways. It came into existence in the late 1920s.

• Like 1

Kscarbel. Thanks for the update. That is way before my time as I am 65 years old. Back in the 50's my dad would have some service work done by Simpson motors (Mack Dealer) on Green Ridge Street Scranton,Penna. Like most all kids I would get sales brochures every time I was there. They sold a lot of trucks out of that location.

About the Los Angeles Branch, I used to go on parts runs down Alameda a lot, there were a lot of truck dealers there. GMC's L.A. Factory Branch, Alameda Ford Truck (formally City Ford), Sunset International, J.T. Jenkins Kenworth. There was once a big White dealer around there too. I don't remember the Mack dealer, but a large 30's era building is still at that address. Any ideas when the Mack dealer closed?

About the Los Angeles Branch, I used to go on parts runs down Alameda a lot, there were a lot of truck dealers there. GMC's L.A. Factory Branch, Alameda Ford Truck (formally City Ford), Sunset International, J.T. Jenkins Kenworth. There was once a big White dealer around there too. I don't remember the Mack dealer, but a large 30's era building is still at that address. Any ideas when the Mack dealer closed?

I remember reading in an OVERDRIVE from the late '60's,about the closing of the branch on Alemeda. Mike Parkhurst was not in agreement with MACK management for closing it,as I recall.Can't remember where it moved to.? Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al did you ever get to the old Chicago mack on Wentworth I never made it to that one just to summit when they opened it I hear the old one was good size dealer

No Bill I didn't either. Went to a White Sox game in '72 with some realatives. Couldn't quit Looking at that MACK TRUCKS incinerator chimney,and wondering what Macks were in the lot. I would have rather spent the day at 33rd & Wentworth,myself! Al

Another view: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.965531,-93.201109,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s116394108!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2FkjJgOsc3rETpyTE4ghk-P5tOjY9GZGuxWBkOH0YBZxgq1zHFaMdsTT-tBMBOnoOr3pX5X6Ed27GOR9617nnA2wn9lqblxYU%3Dw208-h100!7i3502!8i1678

The dealership moved to a new facility a couple miles away in the early 70s. The parking lot on the left used to be a great bar and grille, was our Teamster Union hangout back when one of the Business Agent's wife worked there.

Thanks Teamstergrrrl for the post. I see the chimney is gone. That used to have MACK on it too. I used to drive out of a terminal just a couple of blocks up University Ave. The bar was the Cromwell. I spent some time in there too. Jake

I remember reading in an OVERDRIVE from the late '60's,about the closing of the branch on Alemeda. Mike Parkhurst was not in agreement with MACK management for closing it,as I recall.Can't remember where it moved to.? Al

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense, as it would have been a bit before my time. Not sure where the dealer was in later years either, the outfit I worked for didn't run Macks.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 11:47 AM, jackb61sx said:

What Mack location is in Boston or Lowell Ma, I only know of McDevitt in Tewksbury and Manchester NH which I use for my truck parts and have great luck using. I know for service have used Assebet Mack in the past.

Avon, MA is a former McDevitt location, now owned by Ballard Mack.

The Springfield, MA location when they left State St actually moved to West Springfield.  In 2010 Springfield Mack became another Ballard location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Manchester (NH) Mack, I've never heard of them being on Chestnut St. or 2nd St.  The Elm St. site is now an overflow parking lot for SNHU and a State of NH Liquor store. McDevitt Mack Volvo(Isuzu, Western Star) is now on Mack Av & Frontage Rd.    .....Hippy