Steering Gear Box:

Rob

Does anyone know for sure if a power steering box is the same one used on an RL series, and an RS series? Both trucks have the p/s box mounted outside of the frame as they are straight rail trucks.

Would like to have "true" power steering on the new RL if possible.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Try to post a picture of the steering box. My 73 RS has a Sheppard box, with a straight steering shaft. My friend retrofitted a steering box from a 90's CH for his RS. He had to drill one hole in the frame, and slightly reshape the front of the housing for clearance with the front spring hanger. It looked like a factory installation with steering shaft out of the top.

Try to post a picture of the steering box. My 73 RS has a Sheppard box, with a straight steering shaft. My friend retrofitted a steering box from a 90's CH for his RS. He had to drill one hole in the frame, and slightly reshape the front of the housing for clearance with the front spring hanger. It looked like a factory installation with steering shaft out of the top.

I'll do that when I get to the shop this evening.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'll do that when I get to the shop this evening.

Thanks,

Rob

These are of the manual box on the 73 RL series truck.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob I have a picture of the Sheppard box on my RS, but I don't know how to post it.

Hi James, when you hit the reply button to post a reply there is under the box you type into a couple of buttons: one says browse, the other upload. Hit the browse button and locate the photo you want to post. After it is selected, hit the upload button and it will go to the line or window above it and the display will change to 1 attachment, hit the browse button again and do the same process over and over till you have the amount of photos you want to post.

Tab, or cursor to the bottom and hit the button add reply, or submit modified post.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, I tried about umpteen times but couldn't make it work. I tried to email you a photo couldn't make it work either. Too big I guess, I don't know how to re size it.

Hey James, whenever I post a picture from my digital camera I save it to my desktop, then i'll open it with "paint", or probably any photo program is the same, then I click on "image", and it'll give you the option to resize, and when you get it whatever size you want just click "save" and that's the size it'll be onscreen. :thumb:

:Mixer1:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

wow, a V8 Mack!..oh, what about a steering box?..I wasn't paying attention :huh:

I've got four of the damn things now and not a single one finished! Getting real tired of looking at boat anchors. Three I know run very well, and the forth has not shown up at the shop yet. They sure sound different than the inline engines.

Real close on a deal for a fifth and then I'll quit, or add onto the building, (with the loss of my nuts I'm sure).

Rob

I've got four of the damn things now and not a single one finished! Getting real tired of looking at boat anchors. Three I know run very well, and the forth has not shown up at the shop yet. They sure sound different than the inline engines.

Real close on a deal for a fifth and then I'll quit, or add onto the building, (with the loss of my nuts I'm sure).

Rob

"there's nuthin' like a V8 Mack"-other dog,2008

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob

Look on the bright side Rob, without them you'll have more time to work on your truck collection.

Let's see if this works

Hi James, thanks and it looks like you've got it figgered out! I would have thought that was a Ross steering box but I've never seen a Sheppard except what was on my Midliner Mack.

The RS truck that hasn't shown up yet has that same steering box but is definately different from the p/s box on my RL that has p/s.

I'll post a couple of mine this evening.

Thanks again!

Rob

There is a good explanation for the steering gear looking like a Ross. It is. A worn out Ross at that. I had even gone so far as to run down a rebuilt unit, in Atlanta. I guess I just had Sheppard on my mind. Let me Know when you get the wrecked truck home, I need some front end parts if you dismantle it.

After clicking on the photo and viewing it full size, I readily see it is a Ross HF64 series box. It is the same that I have so I don't know what I was thinking either. I have two that leak like a cow pissing blood on a flat rock so they need rebuilt. I've used a company in Portland a couple of times for rebuilds and they are very good. I checked with them last week and the cost is $419.00 plus shipping no matter what is wrong with it. They weigh about 80 pounds each so shipping can be an issue of course. Local places want almost $750.00 to rebuild one!

I'm not certain what I'm going to do with the wrecked truck; Knock the sheet metal, and sleeper off of it for sure. I've got a couple of 700 series hoods around here, and a usable cab, so if it is worthy, may build another truck out of it. One thing I don't have is a good extra set of drop ins for the rears which are missing. Those are easy enough to locate if need be.

What type of front parts are you needing? I may have, or be able to come up with something.

Rob

I need left and right front spring hangers, all of the bumper mounting eyelet's are broken off. I don't remember if I sent you a picture of Bob Cody's black RS797. His truck had an aluminum front frame cross member which was also the front spring hanger. I would be interested to know what a Cummins powered truck was supposed to have. The engine is way too long for the one piece cross member- spring hanger on his truck. Looking at the side of the hanger, they look the same. He replaced his manual box with a steering box from a CH, by drilling one new frame hole, and reshaping the front of the box slightly with a 4'' grinder.

Those were common breakage area(s). Both of my RL's have been broken on the passenger side. The Cat powered truck has had the ear welded back on and it looks bad, but functional. I will repair it for cosmetic appearances. The "new" RL has the ear missing from the hanger.

I know the front crossmember is aluminum on the V8 truck, but I'm not sure about the Cat powered truck, but I do think it is steel. They are differing in styles and design.

I know it is a lot of work but if you want to pull them out of the truck and send them up here, I'll make ears for them. I assume you are still wanting to use the OEM Mack front bumper, and I have one to use as a pattern.

Rob

I need left and right front spring hangers, all of the bumper mounting eyelet's are broken off. I don't remember if I sent you a picture of Bob Cody's black RS797. His truck had an aluminum front frame cross member which was also the front spring hanger. I would be interested to know what a Cummins powered truck was supposed to have. The engine is way too long for the one piece cross member- spring hanger on his truck. Looking at the side of the hanger, they look the same. He replaced his manual box with a steering box from a CH, by drilling one new frame hole, and reshaping the front of the box slightly with a 4'' grinder.

You might try to locate a RS600L (my Valueliner is a 79 ) my nephew has a 74 RS700L and his spring hangers are broke, we where looking at both of them and the hangers,front mount,cab mounts looks like they would interchange, the one i have has steel hangers on the front and aluminum on the back of the spring with the cab mount plus you can use the 3 leaf springs on the front, i thought a valueliner might be easyer to find. Ron