ranchhopper

Aluminum wheel restoration

the kw dealer here in town has an automated polisher that does a really good job but that is as good as i`ve seen for hand polishing. not all that expensive either

The pictures don't really do them justice they are unbelievable when out in full sun.

They look good, how long did it take to do a wheel? I had a set done on an automated polisher, they looked great, but I wasn't crazy about the way the holes in the wheels kinda got "streaked" over.

That is what I don't like about automated wheel polishers they make the holes out of round. I guess its better than nothing.

They look fine from the pictures.

Could you delete small rusty cavits and scratches?

From my experience fuel tanks are made of different aluminium (softer?) and more difficult to get polished nice.

They still have some pitting around the lug nut holes but for 29 year old rims they will look fine for what Im using them for I don't really keep track of the time Im laid off for the winter and have lots of time on my hands anyways.

I put stainless hub full caps onto the rear wheels. They have a sort of a "magic ring" as the producent calls it - the ring that closes the over the stud area. So you don't need to fight pitting there that way.

Edited by Vladislav

You going to change them all out or sell the other 6??

I have not decided yet whether Im going to keep them all yet I have a set of aluminum wheels already on the front of the truck. Im kicking around the idea of putting the truck on the road when I retire to make a few bucks here and there and running all aluminum rims will help cut the weight down. I have a set of those stainless hub covers on my RS Im leaning toward buying another set for the superliner.

• Like 1

Finished product look great! Especially considering how rough they were to begin with.

Got around to polishing up and adding some paint to the airchimes going on the RS they really shine in the sunlight.

post-18980-0-29509000-1453816448_thumb.j

post-18980-0-48600000-1453816472_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nothing like a big set of Nathan's to wake up the sleepy drivers on the road!

Yes how true Larry that's a K5LLA I think they are the best sounding Nathan out there they don't sound like a passenger train.

Where can the zephyr pads and compound be bought? How would you remove pitting?

Iowa 80 truckstop has it.

I bought mine as a kit from a guy in Missouri off of ebay pretty reasonable too.

You get three wheels and three bricks of compound yellow,green and white.

• Like 1

How much per wheel do you think it cost you to do it yourself?

I never paid attention to cost which was minimal the time on the other hand was what would have cost me if I had to do it for someone else.