My Mack fire apparatus photo album

GA_Dave

I have very little info on this one, photographed at a parade in Baltimore many years ago.

Engine 343, Violetville, MD (retired)

1941 Mack/1947 VFD refurb

Most likely a Type 45A or 405A because it does not have the shield below the radiator that the ENF510A powered A models had. It also looks like a 500 GPM pump based on the two 2 1/2" discharges. As Jim said most likely built between 1950 and 1954, although Mack special built 5 more A models in 1956 for customers in LI, NY.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

6 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Most likely a Type 45A or 405A because it does not have the shield below the radiator that the ENF510A powered A models had. It also looks like a 500 GPM pump based on the two 2 1/2" discharges. As Jim said most likely built between 1950 and 1954, although Mack special built 5 more A models in 1956 for customers in LI, NY.

From the info I do have, the original build was in 1941 and that it was rebuilt after a wreck, supposedly in 1947, but perhaps that is when the wreck took place and the rebuild was later, using sheet metal from an A model.  I think I was told that it was originally an E model.  I would agree on it being a Type 45 and those were 500 GPM.  I have my theories, but I have been unable to confirm anything.

om the info I do have, the original build was in 1941 and that it was rebuilt after a wreck, supposedly in 1947, but perhaps that is when the wreck took place and the rebuild was later, using sheet metal from an A model.

After looking at the picture more closely I'd agree. The top of the windshield just doesn't look right for an A model and in fact could have been a closed cab that they converted since Mack usually used just a chrome frame around the windshields on both the semi and open cab trucks. Either way it is a neat rig and I'm glad you are able to share it with us.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!