Experience,--6.7 Ford Power Stroke

Red Horse

There was an ongoing pump issue and at least one set of injectors. There were some problems with some sensors but at the moment, I don't remember exactly which ones. There was a gremlin in the harness that he just lived with because no one could find it.

Some things were warranty but some not. A couple of times, the truck was gone for 2 weeks while the dealer/factory decided what the problem was.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The guys that I know that has the Duramax likes them, I am sure there are lemons in all makes. I have 2 Super duty 7.3 Fords they have there problems,( I know I will ruffle some feathers) but the ones that don't like Duramax is the Ford and Dodge guys, to tell you the truth. one isn't any better than the other, it all is what you pefer or what you grew up with. at work we had to change the cam sensor 3 times in 1 year on a 05 F550 6.0, we also have a triton V10 that keeps blowing sparkplugs out. Ford has a tool to put threads back in so you don't have to pull the heads,so they know they have a problem, almost $ 500.00 to do the threads each time one blows out. that's why I say all makes have there problems.

The guys that I know that has the Duramax likes them, I am sure there are lemons in all makes. I have 2 Super duty 7.3 Fords they have there problems,( I know I will ruffle some feathers) but the ones that don't like Duramax is the Ford and Dodge guys, to tell you the truth. one isn't any better than the other, it all is what you pefer or what you grew up with. at work we had to change the cam sensor 3 times in 1 year on a 05 F550 6.0, we also have a triton V10 that keeps blowing sparkplugs out. Ford has a tool to put threads back in so you don't have to pull the heads,so they know they have a problem, almost $ 500.00 to do the threads each time one blows out. that's why I say all makes have there problems.

Well b61, I would say you hit the nail on the head-...in particular.."what you grew up with". and when I started this thread I mentioned, no second and third hand info! I think that today between Ford, GM and Dodge/Ram/Mopar/FCA they all build a good product. when it comes to Power Strokes, it always seems to come back to 6.0 horror stories then again buddy of mine had one that he put almost 100,000 on with no trouble-admittedly-easy miles. I've also heard of plenty of guys that had good luck with them in heavy commercial service. Other side of the coin, local good sized towing outfit had nothing but issues-drove him to Hino for his ramp trucks. Actually I should follow up on that as we are talking when 6.0 first came out.

My biggest question/concern is just how will the new 6.7 hold up in a medium duty-in particular as you can get one in a 750 with a 37,000 lb GVW. A far cry from what it was (I think) originally designed for.

PS-ckeck out KSC's post on new retrofit for 6.0/6.4 turbo upgrade kit. Good news, but how many years did it take them to come up with that??

I wouldn't worry about the 6.7 Ford diesel, even at max 55k GCW... This is a 2nd generation updated 6.7 that's been derated for medium duty applications. The early 6.7 at full rating managed to survive idiots pulling big RVs and boats without problems, so a derated and upgraded 6.7 should have no problem pulling 55k pounds with even a halfway professional driver.

Like a few others have said, I don't think one truck is any better than the other two (Ford, Dodge, GM). It simply comes down to preference.

Personally, I've been a Ford guy all my life, but over the last few years I've grown to like Dodges with Cummins engines. If I was in the market for a new pickup, it'd probably be a Dodge Ram with a 6.7L Cummins.

My 5.9L Dodge/Cummins combo ('94 dually) has been pretty good, except for the weak brakes.

My '03 7.3L F-350 Powerstroke has been more or less bulletproof. In 13 years of ownership, I've spent less than $1k on repairs (not counting wear items like brakes and tires).

post-18831-0-71676400-1453658507_thumb.j

post-18831-0-18975600-1453658558_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I think you are insane if you want a new diesel pickup with variable catalyst exhaust, def, and all the related  baggage.  Maybe someone will start making glider kits for pickups with 6 speed manuals/ 5.9 cummins.  I am glad I have kept the 2000 F350 drw 4 x 4 7.3 I bought new.  But I dare say its noticeably weaker towing 22k than Dad's 2008 6.7 24v cummins.    I think a strong 12valve 5.9 would run after nuclear apocalypse where I am not so sure on the ecm controlled engines...

• 2 years later...

@Red Horse

I know I’m resurrecting this thread, but figured I’d offer my two cents. 

I have two, 2016 F250’s. One Lariat and one XL, both 6.7 PSD w/ 4wd. Both have been solid, knock-on-wood w/ the XL holding duty as a true work truck and the Lariat carrying my fat a** around the southeast. 

XL has 50k on the clock and the Lariat w/ 108k. XL has something like 800hrs idle time! 

My biggest take away on these motors is maintenance. Keep engine oil and fuel filters changed, drain the fuel/water separator, run good quality diesel fuel, and stay on-top of required scheduled maintenance. 

One thing I do like about and appreciate with these trucks is the ease of maintenance and access to fuel and oil filters. Same with EGR placement. First look under the hood looks like a cluster, but once ya get into the weeds it makes sense. 

Hope this helps. Sorry for typos. 

On 1/24/2016 at 1:04 PM, Wobblin-Goblin said:

Like a few others have said, I don't think one truck is any better than the other two (Ford, Dodge, GM). It simply comes down to preference.

Personally, I've been a Ford guy all my life, but over the last few years I've grown to like Dodges with Cummins engines. If I was in the market for a new pickup, it'd probably be a Dodge Ram with a 6.7L Cummins.

My 5.9L Dodge/Cummins combo ('94 dually) has been pretty good, except for the weak brakes.

Carbon Kevlar front brake pads and slotted rotors, and rear shoes, will help. Note they offer a rear disc brake conversion for your dualie.

Good people, good product......http://www.egrbrakes.com/Dodge parts list.htm

I swear by Motul RBF600......https://www.amazon.com/Motul-MTL100949-Factory-Percent-Synthetic/dp/B004LEYJO4/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544390090&sr=1-1&keywords=rbf600&refinements=p_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER

5 hours ago, Stonewall said:

@Red Horse

I know I’m resurrecting this thread, but figured I’d offer my two cents. 

I have two, 2016 F250’s. One Lariat and one XL, both 6.7 PSD w/ 4wd. Both have been solid, knock-on-wood w/ the XL holding duty as a true work truck and the Lariat carrying my fat a** around the southeast. 

XL has 50k on the clock and the Lariat w/ 108k. XL has something like 800hrs idle time! 

My biggest take away on these motors is maintenance. Keep engine oil and fuel filters changed, drain the fuel/water separator, run good quality diesel fuel, and stay on-top of required scheduled maintenance. 

One thing I do like about and appreciate with these trucks is the ease of maintenance and access to fuel and oil filters. Same with EGR placement. First look under the hood looks like a cluster, but once ya get into the weeds it makes sense. 

Hope this helps. Sorry for typos. 

Thx for jumping in with your experiences.  As for your comment on...."first look under the hood....." makes me wonder if the new GM/Navistar class 4,5,6 with their tilting hood does anything for their sales because of improved serviceability.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2016 at 8:28 AM, j hancock said:

I hope it works out that the Ford engineers have done their homework. I have always been partial to Ford products but currently don't have any skin in the Powerstroke game. As an aside, I friend of mine has a brand new Ford F-650 roll back with side puller being delivered in about 2 weeks. I will take some picture of it and the engine under the hood. A gas V10 !!! He is sick of the diesel issues and the Duramax in particular of his current Chevrolet.

We sell up to F-550s. We have had very  little negative feedback on the 6.7. Some of the car carriers that pick up lease returns use them to pull the trailers and rack up alot of miles and overall they have been happy. However, in the last few years we have sold less diesels as alot of operators have gone to gas because of the previous diesel issues no matter the engine. So if they can do their operation with a gas even if it sacrifices some mpg and torque many will do it.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:54 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

We sell up to F-550s. We have had very  little negative feedback on the 6.7. Some of the car carriers that pick up lease returns use them to pull the trailers and rack up alot of miles and overall they have been happy. However, in the last few years we have sold less diesels as alot of operators have gone to gas because of the previous diesel issues no matter the engine. So if they can do their operation with a gas even if it sacrifices some mpg and torque many will do it.

That is why the rumored 7.3 V-8 is so important. Lower first cost, good power, and if you are not running high annual miles  the economics make sense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tjc transport said:

a friend has a 6.7 powered F750 with a 2000 gallon oil tank on the back and loves it. over 150k miles on it with no problems at all picking up waste oil 

Good news.  Ford owned the fuel oil delivery market in the old days with LN -8000 and  C-8000's. At 33,000 gvw, a 2800 gal tank.  In my area today, its all F'liner, Paccar and International.

pretty much the same here, almost all fuel oil trucks these days are f-liners or international.

a lit of the single axle dump truck contractors are going back to ford 650-750 trucks with the 6.7 and 5 speed auto trans. J.F.Keily just ordered a whole fleet of them, switching back from internationals. they just had too many problems with the cornbinders. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I’m suppose to take delivery of my new work truck at the end of the month, a 2019 F350 with the 6.7, 4X4 for snow removal. The truck will have a knaphiede enclosed KUV utility box, as I do HVAC and electrical work, so the truck will have some weight. I’ve heard the 6.7 is miles beyond the 6.0 and 6.4 trucks in terms of issues and downtime. I didn’t want to order a new 6.2 gas truck as my boss has one, and it’s a dog. He doesn’t even have a utility box in it, just standard aluminum truck bed. My co worker ordered a gas truck, same specs as mine, I hope he likes it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:32 PM, 1977vega said:

1300 miles on it, averaging 13mpg, and has only used 1 gallon of DEF. pretty impressed so far, and it’s quiet as hell to boot!

almost 6k on mine now. I'm getting low 12s unloaded. Fuck DEF. I'm not really all that impressed. It gets the same mileage with my unloaded 14k deckover behind me. lol power wise is nice but regens kill it in both power and mileage. EPA is ruining the diesel world it's a shame.

22 hours ago, Ol2Stroker said:

lmost 6k on mine now. I'm getting low 12s unloaded. Fuck DEF. I'm not really all that impressed. It gets the same mileage with my unloaded 14k deckover behind me. lol power wise is nice but regens kill it in both power and mileage. EPA is ruining the diesel world it's a shame.

DEF is bullshit, but I was expecting much worse consumption by what other guys had said who run duramax powered trucks. Apparently they chew through it no matter what the conditions are. Like I said before, my co worker got the 6.2 gas powered truck, identical specs to mine, he’s averaging 5mpg. I didn’t think my truck would get 13mpg so I’m still happy about it. 

• 11 months later...