ALF (Gasp!) question

Mack58B42

that thing would have to have a fuel inlet tube the size of a garden hose and pump to match if it were going to produce rpms/power . running in the video was at idle it sounded like .if it just died out from there sounds to me like it was for whatever reason simply running out of gas . carbs could have been fine fuel supply or lack of at fault

:-) I was running both the stock mechanical and an added electric fuel pump in tandem. And I checked with a guy who had worked on these, and was told that the electric pump that I put in had more than enough oomph to supply what would be required for that motor. It was getting more than enough fuel, lol..... At idle, it would burn through about 4-5 gallons in 20 minutes. So I suspect that the stories of 1-4 mpg in these are probably true!

Mercier's is still in business. 508-587-0600. Fred Mercier is a friend of mine, i can ask him if he works on these.

Excellent! I looked them up on-line, but couldn't tell if they were actually still in business. If they do have some experience with these, I'll consider sending it up there. He can call me at 401-419-1677 or e-mail me at jeeprider01@yahoo.com and we can discuss it further if he's interested.....

:-) I was running both the stock mechanical and an added electric fuel pump in tandem. And I checked with a guy who had worked on these, and was told that the electric pump that I put in had more than enough oomph to supply what would be required for that motor. It was getting more than enough fuel, lol..... At idle, it would burn through about 4-5 gallons in 20 minutes. So I suspect that the stories of 1-4 mpg in these are probably true!

i would guess a mile &1/2 at full load hope you find someone reasonable to straighten the situation out. will follow posted progress. i dealt with some v12 gmcs years ago the best we could get out of them was 2 1/4 mpg pulling gas tankers ps they belonged to texaco

• Like 1

My 140GZ Waukesha (inline 6, 554 CID) gets about 3mpg on a good day.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That is an awful lot of fuel used idling, that much fuel being used would cause stalling and massive flat spot if you tried to accelerate. My old drag cars never burned that much at idle.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

At idle, it would burn through about 4-5 gallons in 20 minutes

Now you know why all of the big cities had gas tankers that responded to any significant incident to fill up the rigs that were working.

A couple of years ago I was talking to an Ahrens-Fox owner at the Harrisburg meet who had just run out of gas after pumping for four hours. He put 60 gallons in it that morning on the way to the meet.

Dave Klein told me that he hooked up a five gallon tank to his Hall-Scott equipped L model to get it started. He drove around his building, parked it, and walked into his office. He heard the truck sputter, so he figured the fuel hose had kinked. When he checked the five gallons was gone.

They all suck fuel like it was 10 cents a gallon.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Now you know why all of the big cities had gas tankers that responded to any significant incident to fill up the rigs that were working.

A couple of years ago I was talking to an Ahrens-Fox owner at the Harrisburg meet who had just run out of gas after pumping for four hours. He put 60 gallons in it that morning on the way to the meet.

Dave Klein told me that he hooked up a five gallon tank to his Hall-Scott equipped L model to get it started. He drove around his building, parked it, and walked into his office. He heard the truck sputter, so he figured the fuel hose had kinked. When he checked the five gallons was gone.

They all suck fuel like it was 10 cents a gallon.

Low compression too! WoW.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is an awful lot of fuel used idling, that much fuel being used would cause stalling and massive flat spot if you tried to accelerate. My old drag cars never burned that much at idle.

Interesting. I don't think I ever wondered if it was getting too MUCH gas..... Maybe that was part of the problem all along. Although it's been over a couple years, I do remember eventually bypassing the mechanical pump in the end because it was leaking like a sieve. But maybe the electric pump was just forcing excess out. It's all a bit vague at this point. Good information to consider for the future if I get it back, though. Thanks.

Interesting. I don't think I ever wondered if it was getting too MUCH gas..... Maybe that was part of the problem all along. Although it's been over a couple years, I do remember eventually bypassing the mechanical pump in the end because it was leaking like a sieve. But maybe the electric pump was just forcing excess out. It's all a bit vague at this point. Good information to consider for the future if I get it back, though. Thanks.

Fuel pressure should with dual carbs about 3 to 3 1/2 psi to compensate for 1/4 to 1/2 psi loss because of the length of lines, the "T" fitting(s) and 2 gas filters. You should have a pressure regulator between the Electric pump and carbs set in the 3 psi to 3 1/2 psi range, no more , no less.

1940's and easly 1950's era Ford, Holly, Carter, Tillotson, Chandler & Grove and Stromberg carbs are/ were designed to run at 2 to 2 1/2 psi. MAX.

P.T.CHESHIRE