ALF (Gasp!) question

Mack58B42

I'm nowhere near you and this is the first time I've ever seen a engine like that but I would love to take a crack at getting it going. I just like oddballs and trying to figure out how stuff works.

As has already been said, all you need is fuel, compression, and a properly timed Spark and that thing should run.

• Like 1

First I've ever seen an engine like that so I did some reading on the web. Apparently the ignition is a bit tricky. One blogger said his engine has 2 distributors, each one having two sets of points and then there are 4 coils. Fellow said that it can be run in dual ignition mode or single, but to run in the dual mode the two distributors need to be perfectly timed. Says there is no such thing s an easy tune up. Hope you can find somebody with experience on that thing that can make it right for you.

Sorry for the delay home and work have me buried. I'm all in on this as V-12 Lycoming is a beautiful creature. Call me and explain what's going on. 919-215-0284.

I hate to say it but you stumbled on why most of these engines were repowered by a Continental 6 or a Diesel. I have owned three 700 and have turned many wrenches on them.

First I've ever seen an engine like that so I did some reading on the web. Apparently the ignition is a bit tricky. One blogger said his engine has 2 distributors, each one having two sets of points and then there are 4 coils. Fellow said that it can be run in dual ignition mode or single, but to run in the dual mode the two distributors need to be perfectly timed. Says there is no such thing s an easy tune up. Hope you can find somebody with experience on that thing that can make it right for you.

This is correct. My 6 cylinder Waukesha has the same thing. Most later gasoline engine firetrucks had dual distributors- and usually had a magneto as well (although mine does not.) And yes, timing an ALF requires a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics all at the same time.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sir, if you private message me your name and number I will forward them to Katrina and have her give you a call. She may be able to recommend a reliable source of parts/service in your area.

Thanks! I did some more research, and I think I may have had an older e-mail address for Katrina. I re-sent my message last night to what I think might be a newer one. But I'll give you a PM - would definitely like to get a hold of her before I let this go....

That's all correct information... Nothing about these motors is easy....

That was my thoughts also. Paul

Yeah - I've considered that as well. But he works on my local FD trucks, and works closely with a couple of my good friends on that. He's been pretty trustworthy with them. I think he thought this would be a nice fill-in project, then it turns out that it wasn't, and then his business had a big growth spurt (doubled his number of bays), and now it's just something that he doesn't have time for.

But if he was someone I had just found out of the blue - I'd agree with you 100%!

Again, I want to thank you all for your responses.

I've PMd a couple of you, and will try some of the contacts you've recommended. I'm going to make one last push to see if I can keep this thing and get it running.

As all of you are probably aware, sinking money into old trucks is generally a losing battle. And while I'm not happy about the way this has all played out over the past couple years, and while I'm aware of some of the restoration places you've mentioned, this isn't something that I want to spend a boatload of money on, since I can likely replace it (with a running diesel rig!!) for less than what a tow and the work of a resto shop would add up to when all is said and done.

It does have some sentimental value, and the value of the work I've already put into cleaning it up, fixing a few things, and painting most of it, but I also understand that at some point, you just have to cut your losses, and look for a "new" vehicle to waste money and time on :-)

I'm hoping that some of the assistance from you will get things moving again, and I'll keep you updated!

Thanks!

If I remember correctly ......Randy (1958Fwd) mentioned awhile back of a small shop in southeastern Ma that was suppose to be very good with older trucks ? If not the Rhode Island antique fire truck guys are probably your best bet.

If I remember correctly ......Randy (1958Fwd) mentioned awhile back of a small shop in southeastern Ma that was suppose to be very good with older trucks ? If not the Rhode Island antique fire truck guys are probably your best bet.

The Mercier Garage in South Easton, Ma (thats the name) but I don't know that they are in any kind of business anymore. They do have a large quantity of NOS Waukesha parts, I know that much. (short a few complete overhaul gasket sets, a cam shaft, a main bearing set, a full set of connecting rod bearings, a full set of rings and a complete cylinder set....LOL)

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Just checked out the video of the running V-12 is that yours? Thats about as good as they run if it is.

Yup, that's mine. Not too much before I sent it out for "repair". Once we initially got it running when I bought it (so much for the e-bay ad that said "runs well", lol) after re-wiring all the plugs/coils, it always idled great, but anytime you asked it for any power to gain motion, the poor thing would just die. That's what led me to want to have the carbs rebuilt and synchronized. And the fact that it ran this well has always made me think that the "not running" issue when I brought it in was likely an ignition/electrical thing that's probably fairly simple to figure out if diagnosed by the right person. But it really should have been done before the carbs were taken off and rebuilt.... Hence the spot I'm in now.

That is a tough story. I'd not sell it to the shop with even a chance of it being a shady deal...there are no friends when it comes to money. I hate to think that but anyone worth a crap should be able to identify the issue(s) through a process of inspection and elimination. You don't need a computer to figure this one out. I'd get it home, find a guy who has a clue to dig into it in the spring. It can't be that hard. Fuel, Air, Ignition...and you have lot's of ignition circuits which are all easy to determine if they work or not....battery in properly?

Don't give up so easy. Even if you dump it, the truck is worth a lot more running than not. You will take a big bath on it when it is dead.

My two cents. Call Matt Pfahl or one of the other guys recommended. You will be glad you did.

That is a tough story. I'd not sell it to the shop with even a chance of it being a shady deal...there are no friends when it comes to money. I hate to think that but anyone worth a crap should be able to identify the issue(s) through a process of inspection and elimination. You don't need a computer to figure this one out. I'd get it home, find a guy who has a clue to dig into it in the spring. It can't be that hard. Fuel, Air, Ignition...and you have lot's of ignition circuits which are all easy to determine if they work or not....battery in properly?

Don't give up so easy. Even if you dump it, the truck is worth a lot more running than not. You will take a big bath on it when it is dead.

My two cents. Call Matt Pfahl or one of the other guys recommended. You will be glad you did.

Thanks. Actually all the responses have inspired me to keep it and make a real good push to get it going again! A couple guys have PMd me some good info, and I'm on the hunt for the right solution to get the job done! And, honestly, even if it never does make it back on the road, it's a piece of art and history that I just don't want to let go of.....

that thing would have to have a fuel inlet tube the size of a garden hose and pump to match if it were going to produce rpms/power . running in the video was at idle it sounded like .if it just died out from there sounds to me like it was for whatever reason simply running out of gas . carbs could have been fine fuel supply or lack of at fault