58 B63sx Power Steering Box? Can It Be Done?

Arcticmack

Rob,

There are a couple of options that come to my mind.

Matt Pfahl can probably help you out with original parts.

Although you can find power steering units, both hydraulic,

and air operated, at the swap meets and shows.

That would be the more original method.

The other option is to go to a local parts yard and measure some front

axles in different trucks with power steering, with an eye toward changing

the whole front axle.

Downside #1 is that the replacement may not be rated as heavy, depending

on your choice, as the original axle.

I know this was Jaime Samuell's choice here on this forum. It has worked out

very well for him, and allowed him to switch to Budd aluminum wheels too.

A less expensive alternative might be a conversion to tubeless radial rubber.

The radial tire may steer easier, and solve the issue.

Anyway - just some suggestions to consider.

Paul Van Scott

if you use a non mack axle you will have to redrill the spring u bolt hole in the spring pads on the axle becausbecause moisture will ruin a air set up.e mack uses a wider springf spacing from any one else.That is not DOT aproved also but OHwell.I used a air /asiste For a trans star 11. works well on a light front end like a B61. The next time you change your air compressor trade out for the bigger one and get a air dier on it. glenn

glenn akers

I'm not understanding all this talk of replacing the entire front axle just to put power steering on the truck.

Take out the existing manual steering box and find a Sheppard integral power steering box that is similarly sized and adapt it to fit.

I remember Rob Swallows posted something in the past about a power steering box from a Ford L8000 or 9000 being a close match for a B model power steering conversion.

Once you have the box adapted to the frame, hooked up to the steering shaft , and a pitman arm adapted to the drag link, find an air compressor from a later model engine that has the power steering pump mounting flange on the rear of it, and use the Vickers flange mounted spline driven pump, much better than the old power steering pump that was driven off the back of the generator back in the 1958 time frame.

Then you just need to find a reservoir tank, mount it to the frame and plumb all the lines.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I'm not understanding all this talk of replacing the entire front axle just to put power steering on the truck.

Take out the existing manual steering box and find a Sheppard integral power steering box that is similarly sized and adapt it to fit.

I remember Rob Swallows posted something in the past about a power steering box from a Ford L8000 or 9000 being a close match for a B model power steering conversion.

Once you have the box adapted to the frame, hooked up to the steering shaft , and a pitman arm adapted to the drag link, find an air compressor from a later model engine that has the power steering pump mounting flange on the rear of it, and use the Vickers flange mounted spline driven pump, much better than the old power steering pump that was driven off the back of the generator back in the 1958 time frame.

Then you just need to find a reservoir tank, mount it to the frame and plumb all the lines.

I am sorry for getting into this i had no intent to confuse. glenn

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry for getting into this i had no intent to confuse. glenn

Thank you all so much for the replies.. Im sorry for not getting back on here sooner But was on vacation when I started this thred.

Glenn your not confusing.

I was either going to look in to changing the axle or do as Hk said figure Out what Other box would adapt to this truck and go that route, My truck has the Air o matic now but Not what I want for steering..

Thanks again guys!

Rob

by the way my serial is b63sx2871

I contacted Mack

but havent heard back yet.