1973 mack fs700l

jettertrucks

Drool!

I wish I could afford it.

Western Mack with V8 and a freshened up one seems to me damn attractive for the cost.

Suppose it's about the worth spent to get it look like it now does.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
finally got it home,jeff Gee did an amazing job on it to get it to where it is,its got alot of small things that need fixing,adjusting or replacing,but overall its a solid running truck,the cab is fairly rust free,ran the numbers on the motor and its a 375hp, and it has the maxitorque 10 spd, Rayco rear suspension,adjustable 5th wheel, its got the kyser overhead unit and i noticed its got a evaporator in the hump section which is unhooked at the moment,would be easy to T into the A/C lines and hook it back up providing its good,im in the process of replacing all the brake chambers on the rear,done 3,1 more to go to stop the air loss,changed the oil and filters on it today and added a gallon of lucas with the rotella 15/40, ive added the lucas fuel treatment to it and want to run the fuel out before i change the fuel filters, overall it runs really good, im looking for information on the injectors,its leaking fuel out from under one of them and i need to find seals before i dig into pulling the injector,also need to find a wiring diagram to sort out a few issues with lights and city horn,if anyone knows where i can find info on it id greatly appreciate it,

Good luck with the F! Cool truck looks like got a good home.

Check the Wiki pages on BMT, pretty sure a lot of wiring diagrams are posted. Methinks I printed one out for my RW a few years ago.

30 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Good luck with the F! Cool truck looks like got a good home.

Check the Wiki pages on BMT, pretty sure a lot of wiring diagrams are posted. Methinks I printed one out for my RW a few years ago.

yup,it has a western made superdog to keep it company here,i was able to find an rd wiring diagram here,il look for the F diagram,thanks,

yup,it has a western made superdog to keep it company here,i was able to find an rd wiring diagram here,il look for the F diagram,thanks,

I have some F model service manuals, I will look if there is anything for your Western F.

I bought an RW721LST from Jerry a few years back, wish I still had it. He's a good guy with a lot of neat trucks.

• Like 1

100psi oil pressure is a little high but with additives is realistic, too high and you can blow the filters off the engine. As long as you don't go below 30psi hot things are OK. Just make sure you set a high idle of about 800 RPM's to warm it up good. and get the pressure down a little. 

The only seal on the bottom of the injectors is a copper washer, most times they can be reused or I have anyway. Hope it is just the injector. Not to scare you but if you are getting fuel up around the injector it maybe a cracked head. These older V8's cracked a lot of heads. The crack runs from the injector nozzle to the exhaust valve seat. I know, went through a pile of heads to find 4 good ones for my 866 rebuild.

Real nice truck... Real nice  :thumb:

• Like 1

On 4/27/2016 at 0:23 AM, AZB755V8 said:

100psi oil pressure is a little high but with additives is realistic, too high and you can blow the filters off the engine. As long as you don't go below 30psi hot things are OK. Just make sure you set a high idle of about 800 RPM's to warm it up good. and get the pressure down a little. 

The only seal on the bottom of the injectors is a copper washer, most times they can be reused or I have anyway. Hope it is just the injector. Not to scare you but if you are getting fuel up around the injector it maybe a cracked head. These older V8's cracked a lot of heads. The crack runs from the injector nozzle to the exhaust valve seat. I know, went through a pile of heads to find 4 good ones for my 866 rebuild.

Real nice truck... Real nice  :thumb:

thanks for the info,hope it isnt cracked,has anyone successfully welded the cracks?

First get the injector out ands have it checked at a injection shop. That maybe all that it is.. a bad injector.

There is an actual expansion joint in the area of the head between the valve seats.  I have not heard of successful welding these heads or E9 heads. When their cracked it is for good and in a bad area by that joint. It is a problem with these engines and if the crack is big enough and goes into the exhaust valve seat, the insert can fall out and hang the valve open... bad for the valve and piston. 

It sounds worse than it actually is... Just about every 865/866 has at least one or two cracked heads. I went through 18-20 heads to find 3 good ones and one with a very small crack for my rebuild. Some were really bad, certainly leaked and would given a little time drop the valve seats if run hard.

If it is a hobby truck your will not be running it hard and could be OK for a long time just putting around if it is a head issue.

Edited by AZB755V8

17 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

First get the injector out ands have it checked at a injection shop. That maybe all that it is.. a bad injector.

There is an actual expansion joint in the area of the head between the valve seats.  I have not heard of successful welding these heads or E9 heads. When their cracked it is for good and in a bad area by that joint. It is a problem with these engines and if the crack is big enough and goes into the exhaust valve seat, the insert can fall out and hang the valve open... bad for the valve and piston. 

It sounds worse than it actually is... Just about every 865/866 has at least one or two cracked heads. I went through 18-20 heads to find 3 good ones and one with a very small crack for my rebuild. Some were really bad, certainly leaked and would given a little time drop the valve seats if run hard.

If it is a hobby truck your will not be running it hard and could be OK for a long time just putting around if it is a head issue.

thanks for the good advice,i stopped in at the injection shop today and picked up a few copper sealing washers,the injector in question is the one behind the shifting box,im thinking i can reach everything and take it all loose and skinny the injector out,i planned on working the truck so im going to have to somehow get it right,its pulling a dump trailer,but a 24 ft one so it wont have more than 24 tons to drag off from a stop,

On 4/29/2016 at 2:07 AM, AZB755V8 said:

pulled the injector and iddnt see any seal in the bottom,replaced with seal but still leaks,may pull it again to get the injector checked,found a head online but dont know till i talk to them if its been checked for cracks,are they fairly easy to spot?

Hope it is the injector. If a head is cracked it will start at the injector hole, and run to the exhaust valve seat. You will see the crack, and can be as small as a hairline or as big that you can catch your fingernail in it. If it goes all the way to the exhaust seat stay away from it.  If it is only a hairline that is partial and stops before the seat it maybe OK.  This is the same for E9 heads but have two exhaust valves.

• Like 2

pulled the injector again today,took it to turbo diesel injection in Forest park,they had it ready for me by 130 this afternoon,said it was leaking at the split where it comes apart,,got home and popped it back in,i was giddy with excitment as i waited listening to it run,and no more leaks,now i can move forward to the next phase,,thanks AZB755V8 for the sound advice,

• Like 2