Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Like a man that knows the limit of the wallet. I sad the same thing and know you have the addition to old iron dogs, you'll get more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, with the purchase of this truck, I am now completely satisfied with my Mack holdings. I've got a really nice final product in the '64 B61SX ('Mater), and now I have the truck I've wanted for a while: a late model B81SX dump truck.

The only other Mack I could foresee me buying would be a steel-nosed DM800 dump truck (with a 13' or 14' body), but it would have to be a perfect match for my tastes to get me to open my wallet again.

I'm plenty happy with the two I've got now.

This will change. One last year. One this year. We will see what next year brings. Nice purchase. Have fun with it(and the next one).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I get 'Mater finished up, my plan is to move it outside and bring the B81 in for a closer look at everything. It will be neat having it in the garage, given how big it is (it's three feet longer and over a foot taller than 'Mater).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been working on the radiator shutters. At some point in the truck's past, something hit a couple of the shutters and bound all of them up so they wouldn't operate. Over time, this caused everything to freeze up. We had to take the frame off the shutter assembly and then apply heat to every actuating arm on the shutters. After multiple days of getting nowhere with penetrating oil and tapping everything with a hammer, the heat did the job in a matter of minutes.

I will get paint on the frame and shutters before they go back together. Pics soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shutters are all back together. As I said earlier, everything is free now and lubed. I changed my mind on the painting part, as I've got some cutting and grinding to do in the vicinity of the push plate and radiator, so rather than risk damaging the new paint, the shutters will go on as-is for now. Hopefully they'll work as intended when I hook air up to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would at least cover them with primer.

Glad to hear you've got a progress :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floorboards are out and everything from the back of the cab forward is greased. A couple fittings didn't want to hear it, but I eventually convinced them to work.

In my travels under the truck, I noticed the right transmission mounts are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to know Im not the only one who calls it porn :twothumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I made replacement rubber seals for the floorboard (to go around the e-brake, shifters, and dump/pto levers). I also removed the dump/pto levers, cut them, drilled, painted, and re-installed them. I did this because the way they were, it was a loooong reach from the driver's seat to use them, so I'll be reconfiguring them to be closer to the driver and easier to use.

Before I paint the floorboards, we're going to have to replace the (non-existent) right transmission mounts. It's an easier job with the floorboard out.

Included is a pic of the radiator shutters, which have been freed up and mounted back into their frame.

post-18831-0-86928700-1455625047_thumb.j

post-18831-0-27248000-1455625135_thumb.j

post-18831-0-56728900-1455625221_thumb.j

post-18831-0-31503600-1455625340_thumb.j

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the floor been replaced or am I imagining it? Sure is in better shape than I would have thought plowing snow all thoses years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top work keep the pictures andf story coming

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the floor been replaced or am I imagining it? Sure is in better shape than I would have thought plowing snow all thoses years.

I'm pretty sure the floor is original. The center floorboard has/had some holes in it where it moisture collected, but I welded new steel in today and painted the entire piece with black Rustoleum. No pics yet (lost power while working on the truck). The entire front part of the cab floor (where your feet go) is fairly rusty, but from the seats back the floor is in really, really good shape.

Also, I made new PTO/dump levers today. They're painted and ready to be installed. I could install everything (levers, floorboard, rubber seals for the penetrations through the floorboard), but I want to get the transmission mounts replaced first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...