B81SX is now in its new home

Took the truck to a show today at Thompson International Speedway with a dealer plate.

It was good to get it out on the road and it drives nicely. Glad I bought it, but it's a challenge having two of these big beasts at the same time. I could see myself selling it in the future.

Glad I bought it, but it's a challenge having two of these big beasts at the same time. 

One to work on, one to show. With any luck they are never broken at the same time.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Neither one is broken

Not to jinx you, but if you go to enough shows one eventually will or you will decide to do something to one of them to make it better. In my book two trucks are just the right number to own and show. You don't have so many that they lack love and you get the chance to vary the trucks you take to shows. Besides you will never recover what you have in them and like most of us you will regret selling one as soon as it leaves the driveway.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

21 hours ago, fxfymn said:

...you will regret selling one as soon as it leaves the driveway.

I already am to a degree. Part of me can't believe I'm even entertaining getting rid of it. B81s are my "holy grail" trucks, and I'm not far away from finishing it and having a darn good one.

It's just that I really can't get rid of the B61SX ('Mater) because it was my first Mack truck, and I want to continue working and learning on additional trucks in the future. Unless something changes, I don't know how I can have two of them while adding a third as my next project. We'll see.

As an aside, after painting the B81SX, I took it out for a run and drove past a guy's house who used to work with my dad driving mixers back in the '60s and '70s. He was outside working in his yard as I went by and later he stopped by to check it out. Even though he hadn't seen the truck yet, he said that he knew it was the B81 coming up the hill because it sounded a little different than the B61.

• 2 months later...

It's actually a good thing. The family that owns the concrete plant that I've used to do a lot of the work on the two trucks bought the B81. It will stay local to me and they will finish refurbing it. On top of that, they can garage it, while I couldn't. 

It may sound weird, but I'm kind of happy it turned out this way. They agreed to offer it back to me first if they ever decide to sell it, so that's cool, too.

• Like 2