B81SX is now in its new home

Today's progress:

1. Mounted right front tire/wheel.

2. Made a plate to cover opening where the series parallel switch box was. Primed, painted, and installed it over the hole.

3. Re-installed the front floor mat. It looks fairly recent, but whoever initially put it in did a quick job, so there were gaps and stuff that had to be addressed. I used the Wal-Mart floor mats from last year's project to fill those gaps in and seal up the penetrations in the floor board (clutch, steering column, throttle).

4. Removed the air valve setup (for the plow) from the dash.

5. Removed the old push-button directional box from the dash.

6. Installed the seats.

7. Disassembled the driver's door. Started rebuilding the internals that needed addressing (mostly window channel stuff). Lubed the window crank assembly. Will have to weld the infamous weak spot on the door (by the vent window post).

• Like 1

Today's progress:

1. Did body work and some welding on the driver's door. Overall, it was in good shape, especially the internals. Primed the door inside and out. Primed the door panel and the window ring. Painted the interior of the door, the panel, and the ring with the interior green. Exterior will have to wait for the other door and the hood.

2. Topped off the steering box with 80w/90 and power steering reservoir with ATF.

3. Took hood off the truck, disassembled the sides. Took off all remaining emblems. Used a body work hammer to take as many of the dings and dents out as I could. It looked like some gravel dropped on the hood, so there were plenty of dings.

Perhaps I'll have pics tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy with the truck. Lots happening. Just haven't had the opportunity or gumption to take pics and post them.

One thing I wanted to do is to fix the glove box cover. The cover was there, but the hinges were snapped off and the part of the dash that the latch catch was fastened to was previously massacred, so the entire cover was simply screwed into the dash to hold it there.

Yesterday my dad and I cleaned the back side of the dash and made little wooden braces to hold the stubby ends of the hinges up and visible. Then we made a platform for the cover to sit on in the "open" position with the other half of the hinges touching the braced halves. Then I welded the hinges back together. OK, now the cover can open and close normally.

Next, I cleaned (spelled: Dremel) up the mess around the catch area and then welded a tab to give me something to screw/bolt a little catch tab to. I've got a button coming from Roser, so when that gets here, I should have a completely functional glove box lid. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you know what they say about pulling on threads....

By the end of this week, I'm hoping to have the interior painted (one door is already done), the new windshield rubber on and sealed up, the radiator, fenders, and bumper ready to paint, and all the bodywork on the cab (minimal) done. 

13 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

Nice looking tractor. What is the Cubic Yard of those short dump boxes?  and anyone know what the legal Gross with that set up was back in 1965 vs today?

13.5 yard water level dump body. The truck has a GVWR of 73,000lbs and I'm sure was registrable to 76,000lbs.

• Like 1

Amazing how solid that truck is. Nice progress.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

12 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

Wobbling,what size screws hold the gauge panel to the dash,seems I have misplace mine?Thanks.Mike Durkin

I'll have to check tomorrow or something, as I don't remember off hand. My guess is fine thread #6.

BTW, dash panel is now installed. Next up: windshield glass and doors. Then...paint the fenders and radiator black.