673 Turbo

JMK

jmk

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I would like to know if you could put a factory turbo on a END673 without changing the pistons or any other parts exept the manifolds and oil lines.Also does the 673 stand for cubic inches. How can i tell the diffrence in a 673 and a 707. My truck does not state what motor it has on the tag. does the 707 have more HP than the 673. What are the HP ratings. :SMOKIE-LFT:

Edited by JMK

jmk

I would like to know if you could put a factory turbo on a END673 without changing the pistons or any other parts exept the manifolds and oil lines.Also does the 673 stand for cubic inches :SMOKIE-LFT:

Yes you can but just dont set the fuel out on it much if any and this will get rid of some smoke and burns some less fuel. glenn

glenn akers

jmk

I would like to know if you could put a factory turbo on a END673 without changing the pistons or any other parts exept the manifolds and oil lines.Also does the 673 stand for cubic inches :SMOKIE-LFT:

I have been told to watch the compression ratio as the turbo motors had a lower ratio than the naturally aspirated ones. I have a turboed END 673D in my truck currently which according to specs should be putting out 225hp. I guess the secret is to increase the fuel for the amount of air you will be forcing into the motor, but not too much. The ENDT 673 put out anywhere from 205hp (early) to 225hp with the higher comp. pistons. The ENDT 673C was rated at 250hp with the lower comp. pistons.I have talked to guys who have put turbos on and cranked up the fuel only to lose the lower end of their motors. As goes the saying "Turn it up,Burn it up" Good Luck. :mack1:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I have been told to watch the compression ratio as the turbo motors had a lower ratio than the naturally aspirated ones. I have a turboed END 673D in my truck currently which according to specs should be putting out 225hp. I guess the secret is to increase the fuel for the amount of air you will be forcing into the motor, but not too much. The ENDT 673 put out anywhere from 205hp (early) to 225hp with the higher comp. pistons. The ENDT 673C was rated at 250hp with the lower comp. pistons.I have talked to guys who have put turbos on and cranked up the fuel only to lose the lower end of their motors. As goes the saying "Turn it up,Burn it up" Good Luck. :mack1:

jmk

what is the difrence ina 673 c and a regular 673 diesel or turbo. I am new at this. You can probly tell i am only 13. :SMOKIE-LFT:

jmk

what is the difrence ina 673 c and a regular 673 diesel or turbo. I am new at this. You can probly tell i am only 13. :SMOKIE-LFT:

I can help you some and he may want to add some but a END can be many engines but it could be a ENDT but the END was a different engine than a ENDT673b or c .The B and C was different engine but same look alike but was same block crank and rods and head as a 237 maxidyne.It had piston oil coolers and larger rods with more head bolts and larger injection pump. It had a different rear oil seal and i think when to the maxidyne liners after it was a year old. The older END and ENDT did not have piston coolers and was using a little different head and smaller wrist pins than t6he maxidyne. The B and C was rated at 225 and 250 horse were the old ENDT 673 was rated at 205 hore. glenn

glenn akers

To add to what Glenn just said, the Mack engine codes (up to about 1979 or so) were:

EN=Engine

D=Diesel

T=Turbocharged

673= 672 cu in Thermodyne with open combustion chambers as opposed to the END 672 (Lanova) which had precombustion chambers in the heads. From the 673 going forward, all Mack engines were open chamber design.

707= 707 cu. in. Thermodyne

711= 707 cu. in. Thermodyne also, but had 211 HP as opposed to the END707 which had 200 HP.

675= 672 cu. in., Maxidyne engine 237 HP, high torque rise, operating range from 1200 to 2100 RPM, as opposed to the earlier Thermodynes which had an operating range of 1500 to 2100 RPM.

676= 672 cu. in. Maxidyne, 285 HP High torque rise, operating range 1200 to 2100 RPM. The 676 was the first air to air intercooled Mack engine.

If the engine model is denoted as "EN - - -, then it's a gasoline engine.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

JMK, Also forgot to mention most (if not all) the turbo motors have oil coolers on them. A necessity when creating higher combustion temperatures. That (the oil cooler assy.) would be another piece of hardware needed for the conversion. It can be done to your present END 673 motor, but why not go with the reliability and parts availability of an ENDT 675 (237hp)? Just a suggestion. I was at a show recently where a naturally aspirated 673 such as yours took off and made some of the best music I have heard in a long time come out of a B model's stack. Again, good luck! :mack1::thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA