237 flywheel?

Freightrain

Now it will be single digits!! My buddy was cry'n the other night about it. I told him I'll be out there no matter what. It has to get done.

Thanks Robert, but I think the trip to Kansas is kinda out of the question LOL!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, lets get this put in the right place.......

Well the clutch went off to DW on Friday. Should see it back by the end of this week. I got the flywheel ground on Saturday. Turned out nice. I also got all the parts off the front of the 673(balancer, hub, front mount). Had to make my own puller, but it worked well. Just need to get the 237 balancer/hub off so I can install 673 pieces. Need to drill out the holes in the flywheel, get new bolts and maybe next weekend get it all bolted on. Yea. Some things to tidy up on the truck before installing, but getting close.

I have about 6 wks before I need the truck running so I can get the race car loaded and ready for first trip out the end of April. This includes getting the bunk put back together too. Ugh...it's all going to come around too quick, I can see it now.

• Like 1

Larry

Well the clutch is on its way back, will have it Tuesday.   Will pick up a new pilot bearing on Monday at local bearing house.

They upgraded the disc material, but not to ceramic, but some kind of carbon fiber mix.  Suppose to give more grip but be a bit easier to drive(not so grabby as ceramic).  Okey dokey.  $295 for everything, not bad.  They are throwing in an installation tool to line up the disc too.

I got the hub off the 237, the 673 front mount is installed.  I didn't put the new hub on yet, will likely do that once the motor is in the truck. 

Making plans to get motor installed next Saturday.

Larry

Thanks.  I'm all self taught.  Been there 30 yrs and it is a nice perk to be able to do whatever I need.

The company just bought a nice 211 Miller welder and a plasma cutter.....should I need a small unit to use at home...........cough, cough, cough.......

Larry

Well, it's back.

I have the flywheel installed, just need to finish torquing it down.  My wrench only goes to 150, buddy has one that goes 300.  Calls for 190 on 5/8" bolts, I'm going to go 200 and call it good.

The wrecker is set up for Sat morning.  The weather is suppose to be 62* and nice.

I made some guide pins out of 6" long 3/8" bolts(with the heads cut off).  Should make getting motor lined up with transmission much easier.

IMG_20160308_162702_719.jpg

IMG_20160307_214247_117.jpg

• Like 2

Larry

This is the original hub.  Don't know the history of the truck so don't know if this is the actual "stock" disc or something the towing company put in before I bought it?   It has worked fine for 15 yrs, and I did not abuse it.  I don't ride it or lug it.

Larry

It could actually, have fuel and electric hooked up.  Just no water yet.  Got the crank bolted torqued last night.   Picking up water pump gasket and then can put that in and install radiator.  Then front end, etc.  Have to fab up upper and lower radiator hoses.

I do need to get some idea on where to hook heater core up.  I found a place on water manifold, but don't know where to return it.  The oil cooler does not have a return hole like my old system did.  Where did the R models get and return the heater core water?

I think I'm going to have to make a throttle arm for the pump.  Can't get the old one off.  Can't believe how tight that little 1/4" bolt is.  Heat, heat, heat, oil, heat, oil, heat.  Ugh, don't want to break it off.

• Like 1

Larry