237 flywheel?

Freightrain

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I am near ready to pull the motor. It looks like a very tight fit to get it out of the chassis. Do I need to remove the front crossmember and motor cross member to make room to get the motor out? It looks like the valve cover will hit the firewall before I get the oil pan to clear the cross members.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That is what I was wondering.........do most guys remove those two crossmembers to allow more wiggle room? You have to raise the motor enough to clear the pan I think the valve covers might be an issue. Also the bellhousing is pretty tight to the floor and I don't think there is more then 2" clearance to the floor so you can't raise the motor enough to clear.

Just looking to see how others have done it.

Larry

Larry I have pulled many and what you do is remove the bolts in the rear of the fenders and unbolt the rad from the front crossmeneber then lift fenders and rad out together.Take the cross rods on top loose at cab.Do not do as many say and pull trans.Put a jake under rear of trans and leave about 3" from the bottom of trans.Leave the front cross menebr in.Pick engine up at center and the flywheel and clutch will tilt it down at the back just right and the back of the trans will go down letting the front of engine come up.Cant ramember if the front pulley stays on or not.I have and always will remove the rocker arms on a 673 and use two bolts against the head with a tab welded to a good chain.Later engine some head bolt can be used to hang the engine by only removing the V/Cs.I will say engine will weigh about 100 or 1900 lbs.

glenn akers

Glenn, I have the whole front clip off(I did it in pieces as I was all by myself). Was out assessing the situation last night and realized it was tighter then I thought. I'll remove valve covers.

I was looking at the back of the 237 and the block as a couple nice big bolt holes across from each other right below the deck surface. I was going to make up a 1/4"-3/8" plate to bolt there and get me up over the heads enough to hook a chain. Pull the water pump assy and use those holes for the front end.

If I recalled(without looking) the trans mount is in the front area, so the rear would tip down easily. I figured a jack to hold it up/let it down when need be.

Like usually I'm just trying to make it easy on myself when I get to actually do this. Trying to keep the surprises to a bare minimum. Car engines are a breeze, this is just a bit bigger then what I'm used to.

Larry

My fold up engine crane was able to lift the motor when I bought it. Not by much but enough to get it off the trailer and in the garage. Now with a few hundred more pounds of stuff bolted on Im sure it won't budge it.

Larry

i have made up a plate to bolt to the back of the block in those 4 holes and I drilled 3 holes in it so you can put a bolt thru and change the angle. you don't have to take the motor mount crossmember out of the frame but if you leave the trans in, it sure makes it a lot easier to get the engine back into place and line up the shaft with the motor mount crossmember out of the frame

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

That was kinda my thought. Looks pretty tight under the cab and with not much room to wiggle in the front I think those crossmembers will be coming out. That way I can just basically slide the motor in. At this point, what is a couple more bolts?? It looks like a tight fit to get that crossmember out though, with the frame channel getting tighter in the front. I'm guessing the frame might spring open a bit once I get the bolts out.

Larry

Well, it is just about free. One bellhousing bolt holding it in, the rest of it is completely unhooked. Just need to get a wrecker scheduled to pick it out.

After pulling the floor out to get to the top bellhousing bolts, the bellhousing is only about 1" from the front floor bracing/firewall. Not much room to lift the motor.

I tried to remove the balancer, it isn't going to come easy. Sprayed some PB blaster around and will try after the engine is out if I don't get to try again before. Don't know why they don't put a couple puller holes(or jack screw holes) to help?

Larry

I had to rent a large gear puller and 3/4" impact to the get the balancer off my 673. It was a struggle all the way to the end. After I cleaned up the shaft I had to buy a longer grade 8 bolt just to get started back on. Harder than any other small truck , tractor, backhoe, or car I have ever worked on.

The 237 snout was rough/rusty(from the lack of anything being on it for many years), but I polished it up and the 237 balancer I got went right on with ease. Of course that will be coming back off so I can run the 673 balancer to get the pulleys in the proper location.

Larry

Well, got ahold of a couple towing companies. One said "no way". One quoted me $250 to come. That is just to get it out, then another $250 to put it back in. Youch. Put a post on Facebook and a buddy of mine has a wrecker I can have whenever I need it> Sweet! Looks like I'll be working on Saturday........when it is 12* outside! Ugh, it was 45 and balmy the last few weekends...of course.

How's Hannibal say it..............."I love it when a plan comes together"........

• Like 1

Larry

Real mans weather to work on a real mans truck. :whistling:

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE