electronic log books

mack mhe9

This is so stupid, when a G.P.S signal could be used instead with extreme accuracy.

they do use gps signals. Our dispatcher can look at any time on his computer and see exactly where we're at for how long, how fast we go, if we don't stop at stop signs or railroad tracks, if our pto is engaged and even if our seatbelt is in. Welcome to the technological age woo hoo .
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

My biggest issue with electronics is how the world has become dependent. Notice the rule guideline for when your electronics fail. And they will fail. RECONSTRUCT your previous 7 days logs? I can't even remember what I did yesterday, unless I have it ON PAPER. So basically you will have to keep a paper log as a backup to the electronic. Sounds like more work to me. And MhE9 is correct. If they think I'm staying in a motel an hour away from home on Friday night, with the Macungie show the next day, the boss, FMCSA and I will be butting heads. Every operation is different, I tried to work 13 or 14 hours every day maximizing my time since I am away from home anyhow. Now I will work 10 or 11 hours a day and go to the hotel. I will stop taking chances. It will take 6 days to accomplish five days worth of work. Not my cup of tea.

$ .02

Gregg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've personally ran into this very problem. We were told thst when we switched to hand logs notate at such and such time elogs failed and if the dot were to give us more trouble the dispatcher can email or fax the previous seven days to them. I've never had an elogs fail for more than an hour so usually I don't ever need to hand log. I work a three day work schedule and the elogs make it tough to get your 40/hrs in for me because if your 1 minute over 14 hrs it sends an email off to everyone In the company and you get your butt chewed. Our production has gone way down because of that and if you go 2 mph over the speed limit the elog tells on you. Thank god I'm being compensated by the hour and no longer by what I accomplish.
  • Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The first time anybody "chews my butt" over stretching it to make it home, I'll ask them "Are YOU going to pay for the motel 10 miles from the house, let my dogs out, and feed them and the horse, and give my diabetic dog his insulin shot?". If (more like WHEN) they say "no", I'll simply say "Well in that case, you need to shut the f*** up!". I got things I need to do, and I can't do 'em from a motel 10 miles from home.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the log book bs anymore. I haul apples local on the farm vehicle exemption.

3 of my trucks have Farm Tags on them but good ole N.Y. is talking of requiring NYDOT i.d.'s on every piece of farm equipment from the harrow to the harvest trucks. That will limit who drives them and now require them to be DOT compliant and subject them to NYDOT inspections on the property and with also fall under the FCMSA regulations according to the info we have received from the NYDA. My newest piece of farm equipment is 1963 my oldest is 1946. I'm going to be 63 next month I think I've just about reached the B.S. limit. Think we will just go home to Virginia and play with my AC's and Hot Rods. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 of my trucks have Farm Tags on them but good ole N.Y. is talking of requiring NYDOT i.d.'s on every piece of farm equipment from the harrow to the harvest trucks. That will limit who drives them and now require them to be DOT compliant and subject them to NYDOT inspections on the property and with also fall under the FCMSA regulations according to the info we have received from the NYDA. My newest piece of farm equipment is 1963 my oldest is 1946. I'm going to be 63 next month I think I've just about reached the B.S. limit. Think we will just go home to Virginia and play with my AC's and Hot Rods. Paul

I feel bad for you. I couldn't put up with that. Remember you can't fix stupid.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

And this ATA group crying that we need this cause it is unfair to the bigger carriers who can't compete against the smaller carrier who can work longer hrs.

I don't even know where to start with this mentality.

We have to to work smarter and long to compete with these price gouging whores.

I have an excellent safety record. If they hire drivers that tear there stuff up that's there problem.

WE don't have enough cash to be heard. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I know I know- but if we could just park the trucks. Look how people freek out during a storm in NYC and the garbage dosent get picked up on time. That's just one of many examples. If we could do it even halfway we would have them eating out of our hands in more ways than one.

I guess we will either take it or unite and fight it. With the shortage of good drivers now and getting worse- a shutdown would likely favor the bigger carriers that would not shutdown but where would they find the extra drivers on short notice. I don't think it would take very long for the general public and especially the law makers to see how important trucks and good drivers are.

Sorry for the elementary and simplistic rant. If we could do it, it would work.

• Like 1

SivartLLc We did that in the truck shutdowns and fuel crisis in early 1970's. I was working out of Dundalk marine Terminal Baltimore Maryland. We shut the port down and then came helicopters State police and other law enforcement. This was a nationwide strike back the. We did get a lot of improvements like fuel surcharges and other things. Little by little we lost most of them thru the years. Most truckers banded together then and that is how FASH and OOIDA came about. Do you really think in this day and age that truckers will stick together I wish they would. I never used the term Steering Wheel Holders as we all had and have to learn.Try reasoning with them. Government got what they wanted low wage no benefit drivers. Up until the 1980's truckers made a upper middle class living. Now most just survive.

My biggest issue with electronics is how the world has become dependent. Notice the rule guideline for when your electronics fail. And they will fail. RECONSTRUCT your previous 7 days logs? I can't even remember what I did yesterday, unless I have it ON PAPER. So basically you will have to keep a paper log as a backup to the electronic. Sounds like more work to me. And MhE9 is correct. If they think I'm staying in a motel an hour away from home on Friday night, with the Macungie show the next day, the boss, FMCSA and I will be butting heads. Every operation is different, I tried to work 13 or 14 hours every day maximizing my time since I am away from home anyhow. Now I will work 10 or 11 hours a day and go to the hotel. I will stop taking chances. It will take 6 days to accomplish five days worth of work. Not my cup of tea.

$ .02

Gregg

That was one of my concerns- I'm expected to take a 10 hour break if my 14 hours are up and i'm a half hour from the yard on a Friday night?..what a crock! My 14 was over at 9:00 last night. Got to the shop at 8:50.

I unloaded in Erie, Pa. yesterday morning, then went to Galv-Tech in Pittsburgh to load and saw 7 trucks in line to get loaded in front of me. Didn't leave there until 1:30, and it's a good 7 hours back to Lynchburg, plus a little more to Concord. Hadn't eaten a thing all day except a cinnamon roll out of the vending machine until I stopped in Rupert, W.V. and got a cold meatloaf sammich at the store and ate while riding. I did pull over on a ramp to pee one time too.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That was one of my concerns- I'm expected to take a 10 hour break if my 14 hours are up and i'm a half hour from the yard on a Friday night?..what a crock! My 14 was over at 9:00 last night. Got to the shop at 8:50.

I unloaded in Erie, Pa. yesterday morning, then went to Galv-Tech in Pittsburgh to load and saw 7 trucks in line to get loaded in front of me. Didn't leave there until 1:30, and it's a good 7 hours back to Lynchburg, plus a little more to Concord. Hadn't eaten a thing all day except a cinnamon roll out of the vending machine until I stopped in Rupert, W.V. and got a cold meatloaf sammich at the store and ate while riding. I did pull over on a ramp to pee one time too.

Welcome to my world, Tom. Most days I don't have time to stop for lunch. Hell I can load 3 or 4 cars during my mandated 30 min. lunch break! PSST! Here's a secret... Don't tell Obammy or the FMCSA but I only took 7 hours off last night... I was pissed off enough that I had to stay out on a Friday night, but I have a small window on Saturday morning to do my errands before businesses close at noon. I got more important things to do at home than to lay around at the motel until 7am waiting for my logbook to catch up.

• Like 1

The first time anybody "chews my butt" over stretching it to make it home, I'll ask them "Are YOU going to pay for the motel 10 miles from the house, let my dogs out, and feed them and the horse, and give my diabetic dog his insulin shot?". If (more like WHEN) they say "no", I'll simply say "Well in that case, you need to shut the f*** up!". I got things I need to do, and I can't do 'em from a motel 10 miles from home.

We are to either turn down the load if it will put us over but if something happens in the field like getting stuck or halving a sale valve frozen we have to first call our supervisor to get "approval" to go over our 14 hrs or they have the burden rectifying the situation somehow. It's getting to be like a government job where I time my day by my breaks instead of my loads so I can comply.

Yes but according to the new log book rules we should be able to bill the shipper or receiver more for are lost time.

I try it and let you know how that turns out.

Bill either one and see if you ever get another load from them.

P.T.CHESHIRE

So does mean that that us guys hauling intrastate in a dump truck needs them too.we fill out a monthly hour sheet because of the US dot number and we work 8-12 hours a day and are home every nite

I thought that if you go over 11hrs a day even if you were under the 100 mile radius from home base you have to fill out a log book to account for your time? I am home every night, never leave the state or country and have to fill out a log because I drive just out of the 100 mile radius from my home terminal.

I thought that if you go over 11hrs a day even if you were under the 100 mile radius from home base you have to fill out a log book to account for your time? I am home every night, never leave the state or country and have to fill out a log because I drive just out of the 100 mile radius from my home terminal.

The last time I used paper logs was more than 4 years ago but at the time, the rule was 12 hours or 100 "air mile" radius.

Jim

The last time I used paper logs was more than 4 years ago but at the time, the rule was 12 hours or 100 "air mile" radius.

Ok I must be mistaken in the 11 hr thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

12 hours punch in to punch out for the day or log on log off needs a log. My dad has been worried about this for some time. He lucked out for now his truck is a 99. Hopefully he will be retired before things change any ore for the worse.