What Stud Length Needed When Going From Rear Steels To Aluminum Wheels?

diesel

I have a 1992 CH613 with camelback suspension. I am switching the 8 steel rear wheels to aluminum. Any idea what length of studs I am going to need?

Most any tire and/or wheel vendor will be able to provide you that information. A lot of heavy truck parts vendors will be able to also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

After pulling two steel wheels off the truck and doing some measuring, I have decided to go with a 5 and 3/32" long stud. The studs that are in the truck measure 4" from the underside of the head to the end of the threads. The longer stud with two aluminum wheels, will give me about 1/2" of threads sticking thru the nuts.

I ran into a problem with studs and aluminum wheels.

The studs MUST be long enough to support the outter wheel on the inner nut!

If not, the inner nut will break at the end of the stud and that lets the outside wheel take to the road, --- alone!!

(Been there, done that)

Long is good! (Leave that alone, Rob!)

The inner nuts then must be taken off with a pipe wrench or an outter nut welded on the inner.

Measure from the brake drum through both wheels and most of the outter nut.

That's how long the studs need to be.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Long is good! (Leave that alone, Rob!)

Packer

While I will agree with Packer if using the older "Budd" style taper seat, two piece stud pilot rims/hubs; I believe that a 1992 model year of truck will use the one piece retention nut, Hub Pilot, or "uniseat" mounting.

One just needs to have adequate thread protrusion through the retaining nut for adequate clamping force to be applied. The rim center thickness determines the correct length of retaining stud required.

Yes, length is important; Don't forget "girth", but that's another story.

couldn't help myself, (reputation at stake).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.