Crow tastes good when deep-fried in leaked oil....Just sayin........

1958 F.W.D.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Not much has been done cosmetically. She desperately needs a good, thorough bath with a pressure washer (but not too hard) and a brush and soap....But since it done went and turned all winter on us we haven't had a chance to play with any water- as previously mentioned the water at the place we have her stored in has been turned off. No heat, either. So what we need to do is run her down to the (still open!) firehouse one day and back her in and go over her.

We have been looking at some of the rot. First thing I think I will take a whack at will be to fabricate a new battery box. Depending on how badly I screw that up do with that then maybe I will give the cab floor under the driver a whack. The body is going to have to wait.

Mechanically everything is fine with some minor crap here and there- she does lose prime in the fuel system after sitting for a week or two- bad check valve? But she does have an electric primer, so all we do is lean on that for 30 seconds and she lights right off. Also there's an air valve bad somewhere that I think Dad may have fixed already.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Due to winter, we still have not given her a good, thorough bath. We could run her down to the firehouse and wash her, but we don't want to risk water getting into rusted nooks and crannies, and freezing and pushing on the rot. So we wait patiently for warmer weather. In the meantime we have a punch list of stuff to do. The tach/speedometer sending units took a shit, so we're trying to find one or both. I have the Hahn part number for the tach sending unit, I need to see if theres a cross reference that I can find a DD number. It has a pink, a white and 5 or 6 gray wires I think? Ring a bell with anyone? In the meantime Dad bought a hubdometer and installed it to keep track of mileage. One roto beacon on the roof isn't spinning (lights up but no spinny spin.....) I think it may be a loose wire somewhere, I hope I don't have to pull the headliner......ugh......And we try to light off the truck every other week or so and run her for a half hour (keeping off the roads due to salt.....) fills that old fire station up with exhaust every time until air pressure is up enough to pull her outside...LOL.......

Randy,

I'm pretty shure Eskimo and Chukchi never have bath or any other kind of wash.

So I wouldn't worry about Hahn until it's cold. Every thing to its time.

Not shure either it's good to fire her up every week during a cold storage.

Cold start stresses batteries and provides poor oil supply.

So for a winter I'd go for maybe one start in a season. Or better neither of, just a first one after warming up.

All the rest sounds good :twothumbsup:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Randy,

I'm pretty shure Eskimo and Chukchi never have bath or any other kind of wash.

So I wouldn't worry about Hahn until it's cold. Every thing to its time.

Not shure either it's good to fire her up every week during a cold storage.

Cold start stresses batteries and provides poor oil supply.

So for a winter I'd go for maybe one start in a season. Or better neither of, just a first one after warming up.

All the rest sounds good :twothumbsup:

Vlad: The truck is equipped with a Kussmaul (2 amp) charger/conditioner which we keep plugged in at all times. And my father always taught me that its important to good battery health to excercise them regularly.....I have always started the FWD every 2-3 weeks and allow to run for a half hour- and the batteries that I bought in 2002 (two Dekas) just now took their final shit.

As for the low oil pressure- its a freaking Detroit. Who cares....Nevermind the fact that low oil pressure is enough oil pressure for them.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the correlation between the the thicker viscosity of cold oil and the amount that leaks out from a DD when compared to starting it in warm weather?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the correlation between the the thicker viscosity of cold oil and the amount that leaks out from a DD when compared to starting it in warm weather?

I'm not sure on where to find a chart like you've described but as I was learned cold start is a reason of up to 90% of wear of an engine.

And only the rest is from when it's rinning :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The color-back effect looks nice.

Good work having such the crue! Hope the youngsters will enjoy this game for a while.

As for stainless hardwear (and other SS parts) they give extreme corrosion effect when in contact with common steel parts.

It was surprize to me once I heard that but after figuring out some circumstances of my practice I found it true wery much.

That's why people don't use SS patches welding rusty car bodies. SS doesn't rust itself. But ruins the serrounding iron.

If you use any SS part or bolt/nut/washer in contact with iron use any gasket and some grease to separate the parts.

And it seems to me the same thing goes between chrome-plated parts and iron. Sometimes you can see rust where chrome bumper touches steel body part wearing the paint off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, JumperAndSon said:

Maybe I could bring the other #11 over for a similar treatment ! Tim

I know for a fact that I am the first person to ever have washed that truck- when it arrived (about 6pm on a crappy February day back in 1990) it had driven up 95 from Talladega, Al where the Quality plant was located at the time. It had all kinds of crap all over it including road salt. So they backed it into the firehouse and approximately 15.8 seconds later I was up on that roof with a hose and a small bucket of soapy water and a sponge. And over the years I have waxed that thing probably a dozen or so times....and  washed it more times than I care to remember...lol

• Like 2

Monday was spent completing some more of the paint restoration. "Large" has really taken a liking to the truck and did a lot of the Monday work. My father had him on a creeper last week replacing air hoses and pancakes in the front brakes. They're going to do the parking valve together when Dad can find an American made one. Yarnall said to send Large over to his house but I told him he couldn't afford to feed him. 

Hahn Cody2 05.30.2016.jpgHahn Cody1 05.30.2016.jpg

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1