1 hour ago, RBH said:

The serial or VIN number is A40X9799.  Perhaps someone can decipher this for me and tell me exactly what model A it is. 

It is an A model, 40 is the size/weight, X is extreme service chassis and it was the 8798 unit built. 

Records indicate that total production was 7666 "40's" built between 1950-1953.  So it is interesting that your VIN shows 9799.  Mack VINs start at 1001.

Could you post a picture of the VIN plate?

Sure can, if it did not rust away with much of the rest of the truck.   It will be several days before I can get back to it.   Where would the plate be located giving it is still there?  Sorry for my ignorance of the truck.  I know so little about it, but it is in very good and will quite a truck when I am done with it and will do Mack proud. 

Pretty sure on the A, the VIN plate is located on the seat bolster passenger side.

Okay.  I recall seeing a plate there.  I also remember it too far gone to read.   I will see if it will clean up good enough to make out some of the information. 

Jim,

Here is the VIN plate.  It was on the seat bolster as you said. I cleaned it up good enough to see the data stamped into it.

IMG_0680.JPG

Yup, that looks like A40X 9799.  I guess the Mack Museum will have to figure this one out! 

I don't have an explanation of the sequential numbering system beside what was posted previously. 

Jim,

I received a response to my query from the Mack Historical Museum today. Attached you can see a letter from them regarding my truck.   However, nothing was mentioned about the anomaly in the VIN you spoke of.  My guess is I would need to specifically ask about this to get any response. 

Anyway.  Among this letter I also received a copy of the build sheet for the truck reflecting it's order Number of A40X2613 and the VIN (chassis NO) at the bottom of the sheet showing in deed the number A40X- 9799

Image_00001.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, RBH said:

Jim,

I received a response to my query from the Mack Historical Museum today. Attached you can see a letter from them regarding my truck.   However, nothing was mentioned about the anomaly in the VIN you spoke of.  My guess is I would need to specifically ask about this to get any response. 

Anyway.  Among this letter I also received a copy of the build sheet for the truck reflecting it's order Number of A40X2613 and the VIN (chassis NO) at the bottom of the sheet showing in deed the number A40X- 9799

Having the records for your truck is excellent.  You can always circle back on the mystery of the numbers.  Who doesn't like a little intrigue!