The Mack A Model Registry

1 hour ago, RBH said:

The serial or VIN number is A40X9799.  Perhaps someone can decipher this for me and tell me exactly what model A it is. 

It is an A model, 40 is the size/weight, X is extreme service chassis and it was the 8798 unit built. 

Records indicate that total production was 7666 "40's" built between 1950-1953.  So it is interesting that your VIN shows 9799.  Mack VINs start at 1001.

Could you post a picture of the VIN plate?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Sure can, if it did not rust away with much of the rest of the truck.   It will be several days before I can get back to it.   Where would the plate be located giving it is still there?  Sorry for my ignorance of the truck.  I know so little about it, but it is in very good and will quite a truck when I am done with it and will do Mack proud. 

Okay.  I recall seeing a plate there.  I also remember it too far gone to read.   I will see if it will clean up good enough to make out some of the information. 

Yup, that looks like A40X 9799.  I guess the Mack Museum will have to figure this one out! 

I don't have an explanation of the sequential numbering system beside what was posted previously. 

Jim

• 2 months later...

Jim,

I received a response to my query from the Mack Historical Museum today. Attached you can see a letter from them regarding my truck.   However, nothing was mentioned about the anomaly in the VIN you spoke of.  My guess is I would need to specifically ask about this to get any response. 

Anyway.  Among this letter I also received a copy of the build sheet for the truck reflecting it's order Number of A40X2613 and the VIN (chassis NO) at the bottom of the sheet showing in deed the number A40X- 9799

Image_00001.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, RBH said:

Jim,

I received a response to my query from the Mack Historical Museum today. Attached you can see a letter from them regarding my truck.   However, nothing was mentioned about the anomaly in the VIN you spoke of.  My guess is I would need to specifically ask about this to get any response. 

Anyway.  Among this letter I also received a copy of the build sheet for the truck reflecting it's order Number of A40X2613 and the VIN (chassis NO) at the bottom of the sheet showing in deed the number A40X- 9799

Having the records for your truck is excellent.  You can always circle back on the mystery of the numbers.  Who doesn't like a little intrigue! 

Jim

• 4 months later...

Hello, I am not at all familiar with Mack trucks and this one is the first one I have owned. The Model is A40T with 4829 as the chassis number. It has the extended sleeper cab with the tiny crank windows. Engine is gone but everything else remains. I planned to use the cab for a custom ramp truck for hauling cars, but I know nothing about it and I still don't, even after googling the model number. This site came up and I was hoping to learn a little about it.

Thank you,

-Jake

The A model was built 1950-53. Do a search here for A40 and you will get a lot of posts about them. There were other A models as well that would be similar.

If it is that complete, you might consider keeping it original. The sleeper cab would make it rare.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Andy, happy to report from my title 1952 A40T7492.   Engine number EN 377 491, with a triplex.  180” wheelbase, running strong.  My 15 year old and I drove it across town to our shop yesterday, about 7 miles.  Photos in a separate thread that I have started...

Make that A40S. 

F103ECC0-F258-409C-B761-194CA22CFB76.jpeg

Edited by Scottyairborne
Accuracy

• 2 months later...

Hey There! I have a 1950 A50H The VIN is EN291115.  When I got it the original motor and trans was long gone. So I stuffed in a 5.9 Cummins and used axles from a 1995 3500HD (Dana 80 rear I-Beam front) to get 4 wheel disc brakes and hydroboost and power steering. Cruises at 65mph no problem. image.thumb.png.3d226bb5e7ebe4a060b5cd58546df823.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 7:31 PM, warkin75 said:

Hey There! I have a 1950 A50H The VIN is EN291115.  When I got it the original motor and trans was long gone. So I stuffed in a 5.9 Cummins and used axles from a 1995 3500HD (Dana 80 rear I-Beam front) to get 4 wheel disc brakes and hydroboost and power steering. Cruises at 65mph no problem. image.thumb.png.3d226bb5e7ebe4a060b5cd58546df823.png

Are you 100% positive its a A50? That serial number is actually the engine number for a EN291 engine,which would have made for a very underpowered A50,those engines were put in the smaller A models. Nice truck though,cant wait to see finished pics.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just acquired A30H 1079. Can't give you all of the particulars yet. But what I can tell you is, My dad drove this truck when it was new, and I drove it in the 70's. Taken me over 20 years to hunt it down. Bringing it home next week. 

Edited by Greg M
tried to attach an image, failed
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm hoping to find some info on one of the trucks we are getting ready to restore. Here's some of the info:

W-50614, 1940 Mack, chassis 40S1023, engine #2565, pump #8445, rig was assigned to Chanute AFB, Rantoul, Ill. It was purchased along with another truck for the fire station being built there. Markings show it as a US Air Force Fire Engine. Based on the serial, I assume it is a Type 40? I'm hoping to get some wiring diagrams or parts listing since many of the original components are missing. I usually deal with American LaFrance engines, so sorry for the ignorance on these. I'm learnin' though!

20190801_075745.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Neat truck.  It is a type 40.  My father has a 1941 type 45.  I do not know the difference.  They are based on the small E model not A model. If you have not heard , you can get some of the information you need form the Mack museum.  They work on donations.  They are pretty backed up with requests. 

Edited by yarnall
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...