Found "the" Noise:

Rob

Since purchasing my R795 it has had a severe "metal to metal rattle" in the clutch assembly when it is disengaged. Last evening I was under the truck with it running and had a friend shove the pedal to the floor. I've never been under it before running and one would swear the damn discs would come flying out the bottom it was making so much noise. I had him shut the engine down, and with a flashlight, mirror, and long thin screwdriver, with pedal still shoved down, I got to poking around the rear disc, and springs. I could definately see the remains of three broken springs in the rear clutch disk, and one appeared to be missing completely from it's place as there was nothing there! This is probably long before on the highway or dirt someplace.

Guess I've found the source of my rattle. What I'll do about it on the short term is probably nothing. I'm not going to use this transmission behind the Detroit engine, "I've already got a new clutch setup for it" so I'll probably look to get one when I've got a plan for the engine and trans.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Since purchasing my R795 it has had a severe "metal to metal rattle" in the clutch assembly when it is disengaged. Last evening I was under the truck with it running and had a friend shove the pedal to the floor. I've never been under it before running and one would swear the damn discs would come flying out the bottom it was making so much noise. I had him shut the engine down, and with a flashlight, mirror, and long thin screwdriver, with pedal still shoved down, I got to poking around the rear disc, and springs. I could definately see the remains of three broken springs in the rear clutch disk, and one appeared to be missing completely from it's place as there was nothing there! This is probably long before on the highway or dirt someplace.

Guess I've found the source of my rattle. What I'll do about it on the short term is probably nothing. I'm not going to use this transmission behind the Detroit engine, "I've already got a new clutch setup for it" so I'll probably look to get one when I've got a plan for the engine and trans.

Rob

A little off topic, but the '94 Chevy Kodiak at work has had a bad rattle from the clutch in it, only when you had the clutch pushed in while it was moving. Sounded god awful, but turns out the pressure plate is broke from all the jerking of the wannabe drivers. Abuse is the number 1 cause of these problems. Anyway have good one.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Rob

Rob, in light of the fact that the engine brake was "hot wired" on that truck when you got it, it's not surprising that the clutch may have taken a beating from torque reversal.

That would be the most logical explanation for those broken torsion springs.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Rob, in light of the fact that the engine brake was "hot wired" on that truck when you got it, it's not surprising that the clutch may have taken a beating from torque reversal.

That would be the most logical explanation for those broken torsion springs.

I would agree Herb but never thought about that as the cause until you mention it. The transmission mount bisquits are beat out also. The truck really jerks, or hops upon engagement of the clutch in starting to roll.

I've always known it needs a clutch assy but have done nothing yet.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The springs will not make the rattle like the drive lugs being lose in the center plate will that is if it is a 14" clutch. Anf if it is loose drive lugs that still wnt hurt it. On the 14" i file the center dic to were the lugs have some clearance and then i leave th eanti rattle plates out and then they rattle when new but will release as so as you think about it. Dont have that grinding into gear ever time. TYhat drives me mad . If it is a 15.5 then the rattle may be something else. The broken springs is a bad deal and may have beat the engine mounts out.

glenn akers