Different Superliner hood

From what I understand, all Down Under Mack trucks are assembled using the tried and true R-model frame as the foundation. The photo of the Superliner showing the hood open does resemble the same frame that the Valueliner of Dan Thomas has.

The hoods on the Superliners down there are different from the ones here in the north. The cabs sit higher so the top of the hood must be taller and I believe have a little slope to the top.

I'd have to study some more to give the specifics. I hope this helps.

Doug

• Like 2

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Just had a look at some paper work Australia still used the R model chassis until 2008 CH and CL were CHR and CLR the Metroliner had the R model chassis

CHR

post-17290-0-90082900-1444821298_thumb.j

CLR

post-17290-0-98562800-1444821658_thumb.j

Metroliner

post-17290-0-05368100-1444821383.jpg

plus no doubt a whole lot more

Thinking about the bonnets in NZ I reckon they would have been made in NZ to save on import dutys or some thing along those lines

Paul

• Like 1

Mack Trucks Australia must have really got their money's worth from the R model frame. I think the Valueliner must have been the final development of the R model design down under.

I read somewhwere that the Superliners produced in Mexico used the same idea. R model frame and cab with a superliner hood.

Wow! All this makes impression. Something like you have access to a very good library and the only thing you need is to make a quick run to Down Under for one more brochure :)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Just had a look at some paper work Australia still used the R model chassis until 2008 CH and CL were CHR and CLR the Metroliner had the R model chassis

plus no doubt a whole lot more

Thinking about the bonnets in NZ I reckon they would have been made in NZ to save on import dutys or some thing along those lines

Paul

Paul, that sounds good.

Your chances to get a fresh R-model frame are pretty high if you ever need any.

Vlad I find Mack trucks Australia very good to deal with nothing seems to be to much trouble for them maybe its the local lads lasses that work at Townsville but they go the extra mile for me or at least thats what I feel compared to what I read on here with the US dealers and older gear

Paul

• Like 1

Vlad,

Sadly, I don't think I can manage a trip down under anytime soon.

I was there for about a year 1991 to 92 when the trucks were great. Plenty of R models on the roads, even old steel dash R700s and lots of Superliners, Ultraliners, Valueliners and a few Cruiseliners. I think I only saw one CH.I imagine it must be a lot different now.

Alastair

• Like 1

Alastair,

It sounds like you had the great time being down under.

Thank you for posting the link with NZ Mack history.

I found very unexpected reading "R600 bonneted model, originally with a FIBERGLASS cab"

Vlad

Vlad,

It's great how your eagle eyed spot over the Superliner headlamps has led to new discoveries.

I'd always just assumed that Mack Trucks Australia supplied NZ as well and had no idea that the Kiwis built their own.

I'd also never heard of fiberglass R model cabs before although I did see one or two fiberglass F models Down Under.

The amazing thing about the classic period Macks is the great number of variations. I don't know if any other manufacturer offered so many variants within one

model range.

Alastair

• Like 2

I'd always just assumed that Mack Trucks Australia supplied NZ as well and had no idea that the Kiwis built their own.

From what we found out I understand that Kiwis assembled their trucks until started recieve ready ones from Brisbane factory.

There is a note about "franchize agreement with Mack Trucks inc.USA" of 1973.

This might mean they assembled trucks from the parts supplied from the States.

If so there were NZ models specially designed (in the US??) to use a R-model frame and right hand drive setup.

Vlad Mack trucks US definently supplied complete Macks R models to NZ dont know how many or the exact models but a lot of R models had features from US and Australian trucks so maybe they sourced parts from both to end up with Kiwi specials and of course I cant forget there would have been some Kiwi special parts as well

Paul