Sign in to follow this  
e9500v8

Vibration at 10 mph

I have a vibration at 10 mph coast or pull. 12 speed with crd92/93 camelback. Transmission just rebuilt rear rear just rebuilt. Vibration was there prior to both trans and rear rebuild. Pulled drain plug on front diff and had some small pieces on it. Taking it out this morning. If I find nothing there. What else can it be? Truck is short 176 WB so it has no carrier bearing. I find it hard to be a tire at that speed. The vibration does come back at 45mph. You can free rev the motor an runs smooth. You can put splitter in N and run through the gears and it is smooth. I'm loosing sleep at night. Also lotsa work. Both transmission and rearend was rebuilt by me and there was problems with both I thought I had it whipped. But I didn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in question to why it would vibrate at that low of speed.

Is it a Vibration or like a rumble from a bad wheel bearing?

Being a Mack Carrier, is it your power divider if equipped that could be failing. Mine. Was more noticeable at low speeds and fine at high speeds.

It's like a rumble. I have no seals leaking. Usually when have bad bearing you have bad seal. Not saying it's not a bearing but it's unlikely.

Front diff is out of truck now. Tore it apart power divider cams look rough. So I'm gonna replace everything in there. I got as far as going to pickup the parts today. Got peanut cage all cleaned up an got them in. Will continue in the morning.

• Like 1

any play in the u joints? I have seen worn u joints bang around at slow speeds and balance out as you pick up speed. Also is it gear specific, rpm specific or just speed specific? try going 10 mph in higher gear with lower rpm's might rule out a transmission issue if it still vibrates at 10mph

• Like 1

The tire size needs to be same all the way round and also check and make sure both rears are the same ratio.

The tire size needs to be same all the way round and also check and make sure both rears are the same ratio.

It has all new drive tires

It has all new drive tires

I have had truck for 4 years. Both rears are 4.64

any play in the u joints? I have seen worn u joints bang around at slow speeds and balance out as you pick up speed. Also is it gear specific, rpm specific or just speed specific? try going 10 mph in higher gear with lower rpm's might rule out a transmission issue if it still vibrates at 10mph

It is really speed specific. No matter what gear.

Better with the power divider rebuilt?

Better with the power divider rebuilt?

Just got diff back in getting her fastened in. I will let ya know in a few !!

• Like 1

Well it's no better. Be pulling wheels and checking wheel bearings next. Just cannot believe I don't have a seal leaking if it's a wheel bearing. If it is rumbling at a low speed I think maybe if I just jack it up an spin them maybe I can feel or hear something.

119d0ef911fb4c68dad0c62781fb5863.jpg

Could be this. I'm leaning mor this than wheel bearing.

To me it's in the drive shaft. It's got to be a u joint or carrier bearing

Well had main drive shaft balanced. No better gonna get intermediate shaft balanced next!

i had an autocar do the same thing once and it was the carrier bearing but it showed no signs of being worn. I ended up replacing it because I had tried everything else and voila

drop the jack shaft out engage the power divider take the truck for a run ,that will narrow down where the problem is. i'm having to do the same thing myself ,vibration at 50 mph goes away at 60 mph ,it's giving me the tom tits

It has no carrier bearing drive shaft is only 45". I may try murranji !! Thanks

I guess that proves my reading comprehension skills to be at a lower level!